Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2003 7:30:33 PM EDT
I just picked up a new 700 chambered in the 338 Ultra this gun has a few problems one being the extractor. I was somewhat skeptical of this purchase as I have had two extractor failures and know of many more on 700 Remingtons. Just curious, but have any of you had extractor problems with your 700's?
Have a nice evening, Rabon...
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:56:11 AM EDT
[#1]
No problems here, and the rifle just passed the 2K mark last year, but then again the rifle is in .308 not .338
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:28:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Send it back and advise Big Green that you will keep us posted.
They are having a lot of problems with thier magnum bolt guns.
Check the chamber for tool marks and  burrs as well.
You can have a Sako style extracter installed but that WILL void the warranty.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:26:52 AM EDT
[#3]
No problem on any of my 700's.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a NIB Rem 700 ADL in 300 Win Mag for my brother last year. It suffered from a rough chamber (burr) and is at a local Remington warranty center as I type waiting for a new extractor.

Seems as if Big Green quality is tanking. I have owned a lot of Remington products with no problems, but that doesn'r appear to be holding true for newer guns.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had one failure to extract on my 7 mag.  I found that I had a build-up of carbon in the chamber.  After cleaning it out I haven't had a problem since.  I do my own reloading so you'd think I'd have the potential for more problems?

Mark in Utah
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No problem on any of my 700's.

No problems on any of the one's I have bought new.  I have one problem right now that is likely only going to take $35 to repair.  It would appear that my Sendero 300 has a rough spot at 2 o'clock in the chamber.  G-Smith is polishing it now and it should be good to go.  The gun had probably been shot 700 times when I bought it.

However, I would not discount Remington for a rough chamber.  On a $600 dollar gun there is bound to be some issues on some of them.  Hell, my Armalite AR10 had worse issues than that and it was $1000.

Ed
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Rabon, Have your gunsmith install a Sako style extractor on your Remington. I had one put on my father's Rem 300 Win Mag and since have had no failures. The price was $100 installed. The Sako extractor is a much better design.

Here's a number to the gentleman that did the work for me. Of course you'll want someone local to do it but he can describe to you the process better than I can.

Eric Meitzner (Gunsmith & Gunmaker)
(715)-378-2211
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I had the extractor break in a 308 PSS. Replacement was not difficult and the part was not expensive, but I agree this is a potential weak link.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top