Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2003 6:50:17 PM EDT
I asked this a while ago in the Glock forum but didnt get any answers, so I will try it here.
Originally this thread:www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=13&t=2712 prompted me to ask this question.

So please help me get this correctly.

The FBI and other Federal law enforcement are issued Glock 23's or Glock 22's. Why would they issue that caliber and that model if the gun KB so much? They had many many other handguns and calibers to choose from.

And I really don't feel like hearing the "The lowest bidder" - Even though that could be true, they still had a large array of calibers to choose from.

TIA!
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#1]
All the kB's I've read about were caused by faulty reloads...Fbi agents don't use reloads.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#2]
What you don't hear about is Glocks KBs on LEO ranges. That's because they don't happen. LEOs practice with high quality factory ammo. I have seen 4 Glock KBs. Three of them were in .40 with lead bullets. Lead and polygon rifling don't mix. The fourth one was in a Glock 30 using Greek ammo. I think that was probably a factory double charge. I have also seen some after market recoil springs that will not push the slide completely into battery. This could lead to a round being fired out of battery and a KB. I saw a HK USP .40 KB but that was a case failure on reloaded ammo. The whole Glock KB thing is BS and is user error almost all the time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:13:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats what I was thinking.

When I bought my new G23 the other day some dude said to me "You'd better get an extra barrel for that .40 if your going to be shooting 180 grain rounds. They always KB with HV rounds"

So I guess I am getting cold feet, but wanted to be re-assured.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 10:23:46 PM EDT
[#4]
If I may add to what everyone else has said...

There is a web site (I can't remember the address) where the author did some testing.

He was reloading the .40 to see why there were so many KB's.

Yes, it seems that the KB's were due to reloads although Federal did produce one lot of defective ammo (this was some time ago so don't worry) which caused KB's. It was recalled.

During his testing he found that the chamber pressure increased substantially when the bullet was seated in the case even by the slightest amount. Probably due to the fact that it is: 1)A high pressure cartridge and 2)Has a relatively small volume (things which kinda go hand-in-hand).

He determined that if you were going to reload the .40 then you should stick to 165gr (or less) bullets, the pressure changed less drastically with lighter bullets.

If I can remember or if I find the site again i'll post a link.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:50:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I've put thousands of rounds down my glocks with no trouble at all. I wouldn't worry too much.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:53:37 AM EDT
[#6]
The G23 is a fine gun...shoot it and don't worry unless you plan to reload for it. In that case be very careful. The .40 S&W is loaded to near max by most ammo companies since there are no 70+ year old guns chambered for it...don't try to "improve" it and you'll be OK.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:14:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Another thing to remember with the .40S&W.  Chambering a round repeatedly will likely drive the bullet into the case raising pressure.  You don't replace your carry ammo everytime you shoot if your shooting some expensive super round.  Compare your carry stuff with the virgin ones to be sure your not chambering a potential KBer.

A former Glock 27 owner.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#8]
A few thousand factory loads thru mine w/o any issues...shot in rain/sleet/snow and all different types of ammo. Fits me perfectly and only jammed once w/ some cheap ammo (S&B before I knew better?).
G23 gets a thumbs up from me!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
... And I really don't feel like hearing the "The lowest bidder" - Even though that could be true, they still had a large array of calibers to choose from. ...

It is true.

They had gotten into so much trouble with the 10MM S&W fiasco, that they had to do a perfectly legitimate solicitation.

My understanding is that the Glock was NOT their preference.  And of course they had never purchased or allowed Glocks before.

That said, the FBI certainly would not have purchased a firearm that they thought might KB.

Don’t know what you mean by array of calibers?  They wanted a 40 S&W handgun and that’s what they solicited for.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:51:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A former Glock 27 owner.

LOL, I still have mine.

Just curious, why did you get rid of yours? Problems?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top