Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2002 10:20:06 AM EDT
Hi, I used to use hoppes #9 intill I found out it was just a powder solvent(Istarted to use it when I was a kid) now I want to use a easy to get cleaner that does it all and shooters choice seems to be it. What do you think of it? does it get copper out alright? If I use it everytime I clean/shoot it should be ok? right?
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 11:15:36 AM EDT
[#1]
You should be fine with Shooter's Choice.  Using it everytime you clean your gun helps prevent the copper fouling from forming.

This is a very strong chemical.  You may want to wear a rubber glove when cleaning your gun.  Also, a simple mask will help keep the strong odor (from ammonia) from getting into your head. Doing your cleaning outdoor is a good idea.  I become paranoid when using strong chemicals after finding out that the old GI bore cleaner used to clean corrosive ammo in the Garands are carcinogenic.  The new bore solvent may not contain any carcinogenic agent, but better safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 11:18:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmm.. you really think Shooters Choice #7 is a strong smelling solvent? I find it mild compared to say.. sweets or the copper remover from SC. And I get it on my hands/fingers all the time, without any ill effects.. :)
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#3]
SC is strong enough for me, Sweets 762 is even stronger no doubt.  I suspect the Sweets is nothing more than a fermented Kangaroo piss mixed with the strongest and roughest Austalian beer you can find ..... LOL.

Yes, Sweets will do fine for removing copper.  Not only that, it also neutralizes salt from corrosive ammo.  Many C&R shooters rely on Sweets for keeping the corrosive ammo from eating away their barrels.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Sweets is the best I have used so far. I do agree with MouseGun87 though, the stuff stinks like hell, but it gets the copper out. I have a pile of very blue, used cleaning patches to proove it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Sweets where do you find it? And how do you know if you have copper fouling?
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 5:10:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I think www.midwayusa.com and www.brownells.com each carry Sweets 762.  Depending on the chemical reaction, some solvents cause your patch to turn blue when there is copper in your bore, some others will turn it green.  Read the instruction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top