Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2002 10:31:07 AM EDT
Has anyone seen or used a 40X Tactical. I saw one today in a local shop and they wanted 2150.00 for it. I was wondering what the going rate is. It's the Custom Shop 40X line setup as a 'Tactical' weapon. It had a 27 in. fluted barrel, and a greenish synthetic stock. Any information would be appreciated.

added a link to the rifle..

www.remingtonle.com/rifle/40xbtac.htm

and a image...

Link Posted: 12/4/2002 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw two of them at the same time in my favorite gun shop when I bought my Glock 26 and Springfield 1911.  I admired them but I was too scared to touch and I don't know what the going rate is for them.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you thinking of buying one or what?......if you have the cash....it`s one of the finest weapons you could own.......
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I'm thinking of it.. but, I want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off.. :)
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#4]
IT`s a high end remington custom shop gun.......just make sure it is what you want.......no....you are not getting ripped off.,.....not trying to tell you what to do......by any means.....if i could afford a 40xb....i would most definitely buy it......just be sure it is what you want.....not much out there that can compare.....there are a few.....but.....
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Not bad there's one I've been drowling on for awhile .You might call him ,it's got 2 stocks
and is set up for sights ie has front sight block and is set to receive rear Palma type
redfield sights give him a call I think it's around 2000 with both stocks,might even have scope bases on it
http://www.calssportingarmory.com/
they are xcellant,oh I think he might still have a M24 rifle also
SEMPER FI
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I would avoid it.  Here's why.  
1. Cost.  For what it costs, you could spend a little more and get a custom stick with scope from George Gardner.
2. Barrel twist.  It's a 1:14 twist.  Seeing as most .308 shooters are switching to 175 SMK loads which stay supersonic past 800yds (168s don't), that twist wouldn't be optimum for that load.  I think Remington just wanted to get in on the "custom tactical" bandwagon and "blacked out" one of their across-the-course-palma-type guns.  1:14 is fine for 155 Palmas and 168 SMK's but it's not what you would want for 175's.  Now if you're gonna shoot 168's and 155's it should be OK, but if you want to shoot the 175's I'd look at something else.  Like....

the "Sniper Country" rifle George Gardner is building for a bunch of us.
Remington 700 SA, 308 completely trued
Rock Stainless 1:11 5R 24"
McMillan M40A1/HTG w/texture.  Italian camo, 2 studs in front 1 rear, Decel pad at 13 3/4 LOP
Badger triggerguard, recoil lug, base, rings
Metal finish in tan
Tactical Intervention sling
Marked, "Sniper Country Limited edition Rifle #xx of 50".

For a "tactical" rifle, I'd put it up against anything and it costs less than the 40X you're lookin at.

Rich
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Trumpet, that sounds interesting.. What is the base gun? A new 700 with the bolt lock on it, or a PSS without the lock? Do you have a link for this and perhaps something about Gardner himself? And of course, are any of these 1 of 50 still available.. :)
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 6:40:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Bullet,
It's a stock 700SA action.  We all "voted" on it so George is gonna retrofit 'em to get rid of that damned lock thingie.  It doesn't start as a "base gun", it's custom built up from just the action (which if you're in the ATF, qualifies it as a gun...bastards).  He's taking orders until th e11th of this month.  Check out the snipercountry duty roster for info.  Shoot me your email addy and I can forward all the informational emails George has sent out.  As far as 'smiths go, George is one of the very best out there right now (on par with Chandler, just without the price and the "mystique"....ducking for cover now).  He is a Marine and currently a SWAT sniper as well, so he's also a shooter.  Read the reviews on SC for "the Rock", another Gardner gun.  He also does magic on M1A's and AR's too. The SC rifle is a Reeaallly good deal for what you're getting.  Check out his site a gaprecision.net.
Hope this helps,
Rich
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey NOT all 40x's are 1:14 most commercial 40x were 1:12 just like the army m24
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#10]
talking bolt action, if I were spending that kind of money, I'd have to consider one of these long before ANY Remington.

I've heard they go for around $2200... What a deal, I think...
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#11]
JPC,
I know not all 40X's are 1:14, but for some reason Big Green decided to make their "tactical" rifle a 1:14.  They shoulda' stayed with 1:12.  Gee, do you think they asked any actual SWAT snipers about it?  Doubt it.  they should've.
Jus228,
Judging by your handle I'd say you have a slight bias .  If the Rem 700 action is good enough for the M24 and the M40A1, that says enough for me.  I'd rather keep my money here in the states and have a true custom rifle.  Not to mention, if something goes wrong with it, who/where do you send it to?  Is the Sig built by actual "shooters" by hand?  Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a great piece, but I'm just not that familiar with 'em nor do I know anyone who has one.

Rich
Link Posted: 12/5/2002 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe just a little..

I agree the Rem 700 action has a lot to show for itself, with the M24SWS and M40A1. But if spending that kind of cash on a factory (custom shop or not) rifle, I was just throwing another very high quality rifle in the mix..
The SSG3000 is very rare in the states.. I've never layed eyes on one unfortunately.. but have heard from a select few lucky SOB's who own them and say they're simply *awesome* in every respect.. Being a Sig brings with it respect and a reputation for quality all by itself.. They seldom dissapoint I don't think. Where to send it? I'm not sure if SIGARMS over in Exeter NH handle the rifles or not. You have a point there.

If going the Remington route I think it'd be better to have one custom built to the customers exact specs.. for the same price. Makes sense at least, huh? YMMV
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Just to let you all know.. I jumped onto the Sniper Country Custom gun..  :)

It looks like a better rifle for the money.. :)
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Bullet,
Right on man!  You're gonna love it!  I can't wait to get mine.
Later,
Rich
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 10:47:08 PM EDT
[#15]
You'll be very happy with your GA Precision choice. Here's some pics of mine.

Link Posted: 12/11/2002 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#16]
bullet....you made a good buy....after looking around...and our communications....i got a bit po`d at the remington idea.....hey...they made it better for the custom guys.....i checked that sig out....it just happened...no b/s...a guy at work handed me a sig catalog out of the blue......i like it...but in reality....which one is really better?....i`d have to go the same way you did in the end......enjoy...nice talkin` to ya......
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks Black&Green... I'm sure there will be others I'm interested in buying and I'll ask for your help again.. :)

I wanna thank Trumpet for pointing me to this bargain.. thanks again.. :)
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#18]
BuLLeT,
No prob man, it was my pleasure.  I figger' when I didn't know what to get, all the guys at SC helped me out a ton and gave me a real edjumacation.  I know nowhere nearly as much as those guys, but anytime I can help anyone out with stuff I went through not long ago, I jump on it.  Let me know when you get yours.  Mine will prolly be one of the last ones shipped.  Sometime this spring we should post range reports.
later,
Rich
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top