Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2002 3:00:59 PM EDT
..that?

You see, I have always been looking for a handgun which after some pull takes up the slack and has a distinct breaking point so just before it fires the trigger pull becomes heavier and distinct. This would help a lot with accuracy. Is there anything like this for handguns? Or any handguin like this?

Doggonit

Edited for: IT'S MY 400TH POST BUDDIES!!! Only 1600 more to go to become a veteran.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

My Desert Eagle has a damn nice one.  Sig has a pretty good one in SA fire.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Huh? Please elaborate....
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#3]
My Desert Eagle is Single Action (SA) only.  That means the hammer has to be pulled back manually then just a single pull of the trigger fires the weapon.  The trigger pull is 2 stage.  The first part takes up the spring tension until it gets to the sear then it stops and you increase trigger pressure but the trigger doesn't move.  Finally after enough pull the trigger breaks.  It's very crisp, no creep after the first stage.  First stage is very smooth and constant.

On the Sig it's Double Action (DA) for the first shot.  This pulls the hammer back and then breaks like a double action with out the stopping point.  It's one smooth pull back and then all of a sudden it breaks.  After that the action recoils, loads another round and then the hammer is already cocked (to the rear) and ready to go SA.  A pull on the trigger brings it back under spring tension to a point where it stops. Additional pressure does not move the trigger.  Finally enough pull on the trigger causes it to break and it fires again.  The first shot out of this pistol is DA.  All subsequent shots are SA, hence the term DA/SA.

This trigger has a tad bit of creep at the second stage.  This means you get to that point where it seems to stop but when you add more pessure it will move just ever so slightly and then finaly break.  I think maybe I would have to show you in order for you to realy know what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes but most so called DA, or SA/DA guns don't have such smooth actions and aren't two stage, They are just short trigger poulls with no distinct breaking point.

See I knew Rbad's SIG P226 was the sweetest gun ever. Why wasn't the SIG P220 like that too? Is that SA only?
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Could be.

Mine's a P239.

Edited to ad that the fist pull or the DA isn't 2 stage.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#6]
First pull? Which DA?
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
First pull? Which DA?

Huh? DA stands for Double Action.  It cocks the hammer and then releases it. 2 actions have taken place.  Single Action just releases the hammer.

The first pull, DA, with the hammer down, pulls the hammer back and then releases it.  No stopping point.  It's not like a single stage trigger as it doesn't stay fixed at it's forward point and then break.  It's just one smooth long (and gets harder) pull until it breaks.  All subsequent shots are Single Action as then automatic loading also cocks the hammer.  These pulls are 2 stage Single Action.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Good old S&W double action revolvers are the closest thing to it. Maybe Colts too, don't know, always shot Smiths. One of the favorite speed shooting methods of the old time revolver shooters (and mine) was to stack up the trigger, give the sights a final alignment, and pull the rest of the way. That last little bit of travel is only about as much as a decent single action break.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey I knwo what DA and Sa and DAO are! I jsut want to knwo which guns have that smooth pull until the breaking point when the pull gets a lot heavier for a few fractions of an inch. This is usefull for accurate shooting. Must get a SIG P226.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey! Don't be a dick!

I was only trying to help!

Sorry, will never do that for you again!
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh, maybe I wasn't clear. The Desert Eagle is SA only.

The rest of the posts are about my Sig.

After reading your last post there is no perceivable fraction of an inch with that Desert Eagle.  It has a break like a frozen glass rod over a fulcrum.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Ruger Mark 1 and 2 have 2 stage triggers.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Well the Walther P99 in single action mode is a double stage, you can actually take up the slack in the first stage and have it lock into position for the second stage.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#14]
My 1895 Nagant has what could be called a 2 stage trigger.  Heavy & Extra Heavy....in double action it starts out stiff & gets damn near impossible when the cylinder cams forward.  Much easier to just treat it as a single action.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a C96 mauser bolo that has what might be called a two stage trigger. Either that or a really creepy long pull single action with a bump at the end.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top