Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2002 12:20:47 PM EDT
I have been in the market for a new AK type rifle in the $500 to $600 range for about a year now.  After reading the last issue of Shotgun News there seems to be proliferation of manufactures and AK type conversions out there.
I had narrowed it down to a Global Trades frankengun or the new SAM7 (spelling? abbreviation?)  Now I don't know anymore. Someone tell me what is best and why.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#1]
pssst! hey go over to the AK forum on this board and all questions  will be answered. trust me . I have a self done Saiga conversion myself , runs sweet. HTH
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I recently asked a similar AK question and after some research, ended up buying a new VEPR in 7.62 X 39.  The Russian VEPR is built like a tank!  Actually overbuilt.  A bit heavier than your typical AK but the quality of machine work is second to none.  I think this thing will last longer than I will and as someone else said.... "The AK that shoots like na HK".  Price is in the mid 500's.  Go to the Robinson Armament website for more info.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The widely-available AK-variant right now is the Romanian SAR-1.  It'll run you $290 - 350, depending on how hard you look.  Runs great.  Inexpensive weapon with inexpensive ammo.   For $500, you could have over 2000 rounds of ammo and the rifle.  Oh yeah, mags are way cheap too.

Link Posted: 11/20/2002 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#4]
True.... Mags are cheap and plentiful!  I just picked up four brand new Chinese made today.  I also want to get some of the Bulgarian made plastic waffle mags to try.  The VEPR was my first but I also plan to get one of the cheaper Romanian AK's soon.  Just make sure you don't buy one of the new AK variants that have a modified magazine well which won't let you use standard AK mags.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 12:12:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I just went through the same thought process.
Then I saw an Arsenal SA-M7 Classic (AK-47 replica) with that milled reciever and blonde wood......I love that thing. My wife even thinks it's pretty. Have fun.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Duke,
I'm not an AK guy - but that is one nice looking rifle!
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Dan,

Look into the Bulgarian made SLR95 as well.  I wound up buying one last year when I found myself asking the same question you just did.  The thumbhole stock is kinda cheesy, but I wouldn't trade it for a parts gun with a non-thumb'd stock. Nice 100% factory guns.  As fate would have it, I wound up with two of them recently. Practically new in box.  Box is ragged, but rifle is mint. No my knowledge the second one is unfired. Drop me an email if you are interested in one.

Cope
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#8]
For a top end AK design, I would also recommend the SA-M7 from Arsenal or the VEPR's. These are very nice with an excellent fit and finish. They also have a reputation for being more accurate than many of the other AK clones.

But even a low-end AK style rifle, such as the Romanian SAR-1 is a good functioning gun. That's the nice thing about AK's. From low-end to high-end, they all work well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Did anyone else see the article in "Shotgun News?"  I read the article a couple of times trying to figure out what the author was saying about failure to feed problems with the VEPR.
Was he referring to this rifle chambered in something other than 7.62?
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Try Chris at AK-USA

www.ak-103.com/

He converts Russian Saigas to the closest thing you can actually get to a real Russian AK.

Arsenal AKs and Veprs are great too!

But if this is your first AK, I'd buy a Romainian SAR-1 for cheap and shoot the hell out of it.  Have fun first before you buy nice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top