Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2002 12:18:56 PM EDT
If so tell me how you like it? How is the recoil? Is it hard to sight in? Which one should I get? I would like to get a 3 band one. I do not have any Black powder firearms in my collection. I will be shooting at 100 yards and will be using Minie balls. Thanks a lot! Jay
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Back in the 80's I decided to give blackpowder one more try.  I'd tried the patch and ball rifles and revolvers, and lost interest.  Too much cleaning, and not enough shooting.

This time I bought a Navy Arms Parker Hale Enfield Musketoon.  It was a HOOT.  I bought the Lyman 565 grain Minie ball mould, and the heavier bullets shot terrific groups at 100 yards. Recoil was very mile with the standard 70 grain load, but even 100 grains didn't seem to have too much recoil.

I applied grease to the base of the bullet, and the last shot of the day loaded and shot as well as the first.
I don't know if this is normal, but I would go to the range and spend the afternoon shooting about 100 rounds, OR MORE.  I didn't clean at all and accuracy and ease of loading was the same the entire day.

The Parker Hale was made using the original British "Sealed Pattern" so the PH is an exact copy right down to the progressive rifling that makes it so accuate.  I think they are still being made, so if you can afford one, get it, you won't be disappointed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top