Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2002 7:36:53 PM EDT
Well I've narrowed my list of new rifle options to Bushmaster Varminter or a DPMS 24".  Any opinions on the matter?  I held a DPMS today at a very large sporting outfitters and thought is was a bit barrel heavy.  Not to much of a problem since its intended use is target/long range varmint stuff...mostly target.  One of them will be fitted with a Leupold 4.5x14 50mm ill. duplex rec.
Am I all wrong with the rifle choices?  Never owned or fired an AR type rifle so I'm just getting the feet wet.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh yea almost forgot...
Are there any other butt stock configurations out there?  The flat one flet a tad strange.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#2]
you cant go wrong with either rifle, I have the varminter, GIBrat can get you a better insight, he has 3 or 4. Its a nice shooting weapon you'll be pleased and good choice on optics.

Welcome to the black world of rifles.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:34:37 AM EDT
[#3]
You will be pleased with either choice. Not to make things more complicated, but I've read many great reports on the RRA Varmint from people on this site.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:23:17 AM EDT
[#4]
You wont have problems with either, but DPMS has treated my VERY well whenever I talk to them.  Heck, I told them I was a fan for life and they sent me a free DPMS print!  Can't beat that!
-Marksman
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 8:13:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Barrel heavy???

Well of course they are barrel heavy. They have a big 24" steel barrel out there in front. Get used to it.

They are both great rifles. I'd also keep the Armalite M15A4(T). Another great rifle.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a DPMS 24 Special last spring, over the summer I have put about 700rds through it. I shot groundhogs out to 300yds, and paper at 200yds. It will told 3/4 inch groups at 200yds with reloads. I am very happy with the rifle, the fit and finish is also excellent.

Greg
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#7]
What kind of sights are you sing on those groundhogs?
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the 2002 LEGP. It is a great rifle. I would definetly buy another DPMS.

Bushmaster makes a good rifle also, I use to have a 16" shorty that I wish I hadn't sold.

You should also consider RRA. Though I have never fired one, I have looked over a few and they seem quite decent. Many people on this board really like them.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 4:47:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What kind of sights are you sing on those groundhogs?

Bushnell Elite 4200 6x24x40.......The Bushnell/B&L Elite series are excellent scopes,I own several of them and personally would not buy anything else.

Greg
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 6:44:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Both companys CAN make great rifles.  The only problem I've seen here is a disproportionate amount of Bushmasters that have to go back to the factory to be tweaked when new.  This is rare for DPMS.  I think for a long range target AR, DPMS is hard to beat for the $.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I also have to say that my DPMS 24 special has been a great rifle. I would go with DPMS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top