Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/7/2002 1:02:23 PM EDT
1.  Doesn't hold enough bullets yo, I needs at least 50 to protect me and my crew.
2.  Don't come in pink
3.  Too hard to file off the serial numbers
4.  Single action scares me
5.  Doesn't look "cute"

< sarcasm off >

Link Posted: 10/7/2002 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#1]
6. Anything (or anybody) over 90 years old sucks
7. You can get your pinkie stuck in the barrel
8. It's made of all metal?!?!
9. Too big to smuggle through metal detector hidden up my butt
10. What kind of a logo is a pony?

Link Posted: 10/7/2002 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#2]
11. Too damn heavy to hang in my drawers that are hanging out of my pants.
12. Harder to shoot gantsa style sideways yo.
13. Colt 45 is a drink not a gun.
14. The .45 is something you see on Star Trek not MTV.
15. Cocked and locked, don't think so, too dope to me.

Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#3]
16. The HoMeBoY NyTe SyTeS (www.birdman.org) are only made for glocks
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 1:38:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Werd

17) They take "magazines" not like my 9 milly clips
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#5]
18) 1911? What idiot wants a gun that's 91 years old?
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:22:15 AM EDT
[#6]
1911 = ub0r
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#7]
1. Unreliable out of the box.
2. Expensive for a "project gun".

Had a Colt 1911, spent $300 to make it reliable.  Spent another $500 to make it accurate.  Man it would shoot fabulous tiny groups!  but still would jam once every 50 rounds or so.  Shot a winning score at a match and sold it right there for $700.

Went back to a revolver for several years, simple, no jams, any round will work.

Then bought a Glock 23 to shoot with my Police Dept buddys, the damn thing is ultra reliable and reasonably accurate.  Would not trade it for a half-dozen 1911's.  (seven, maybe)  :>)
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Had a Colt 1911, spent $300 to make it reliable.  Spent another $500 to make it accurate.  Man it would shoot fabulous tiny groups!  but still would jam once every 50 rounds or so.  Shot a winning score at a match and sold it right there for $700.

Went back to a revolver for several years, simple, no jams, any round will work.

Then bought a Glock 23 to shoot with my Police Dept buddys, the damn thing is ultra reliable and reasonably accurate.  Would not trade it for a half-dozen 1911's.  (seven, maybe)  :>)

(1) Why're you spoiling our fun with reality?  

(2) Are you serious?  You spent $300 to make a Colt 1911 "reliable" and it still jammed every 50 rounds??  Did you find it on the bottom of an ocean?

Seriously - what model and year did you buy that was so cursed?  I've got several Colts, and I've never had to spend a penny to make any of them "reliable", and they are plenty accurate out of the box.  I cannot even imagine how to spend $500 to accurize a stock 1911.  I'd just build an STI from the ground up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(1) Why're you spoiling our fun with reality?  

(2) Are you serious?  You spent $300 to make a Colt 1911 "reliable" and it still jammed every 50 rounds??  Did you find it on the bottom of an ocean?

Seriously - what model and year did you buy that was so cursed?  I've got several Colts, and I've never had to spend a penny to make any of them "reliable", and they are plenty accurate out of the box.  I cannot even imagine how to spend $500 to accurize a stock 1911.  I'd just build an STI from the ground up.

I second this, where did you get this pos?  Inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#10]
1)Makes me shoot too much (expensive)
2)Shooting sessions are actually enjoyable, making me spend time away from wife (yay!)
3)Dashes plastic pistol enthusiast's illusions that that dinosaur is as reliable as their toys.
4)I can actually hit my target with it in rapid fire.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#11]
"1. Doesn't hold enough bullets yo, I needs at least 50 to protect me and my crew."

ya, that's cause they try to aim sideways and cant hit shit.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Dog..... word'n eyes gots a 9 is mo' betta dan " I am currently carrying a Kimber 1911 Ultra CDP in .45 acp.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 4:12:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Yo Mo' FO's, I be sayin it straight.  It be all about the gold on the shi+. The bi+ches know thats right!
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#14]
yes....tho`s 1911`s do suck......that`s why i have 5 of them...and they all say "colt" on the slide......yeah.....they really suck.....
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#15]
You 1911 pantaloons really are entertaining...Glock on baby!  12,000 rounds from my Glock 22, and still waiting for the first jam---eat poo 1911 weirdos.  

Get with the 21st century and ditch your old dinosaur- out with the old and in with the new!
Did I mention- Glock on!  

Link Posted: 10/8/2002 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#16]
...........GLCK........(kidding)..............actually....you can get a 1911 in pink........
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Yo homie Gee, I cants say the name as cool as I can 9 mike mike mofo

Link Posted: 10/8/2002 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Yall just aint wid it like da homies in Cypress Hill

"I put the clip in the FOE-FIVE and break ya off some..."

Ice Cube had a .45 in Boyz In the Hood, and everyone know he gots MAD shootin skilz
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 8:24:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Ya allz gots nuttin on ma homie.Aight?ya allz get wit dis yo,i went over to slick dogs crib up in on Crenshaw and dog!!!dis mofo biotch had dat new Cali style FABULOUS m-sisteen.Aight?
Anyhowz ya allz nots goona belie dis yo,you aint gotta use a clip.Ait?Yo i gots to git me 1 of doze yo.You know whats Iz sayin?Aight?

Anywayz yalls dissin da Foty-Fie?Why yo?My homie Abdullah Jackson has a stainess steel one yo and he jus got it chromed yo,it looks so tight yo.Aight?He sayz it aint gonna rust now yo.Aight?
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Reliable out of the box with the exception of PMC ammo.

Accurate, more so with a trigger job (including beavertail, hammer sear & trigger - sights are next!)

See target above, something you can't do with "The HoMeBoY NyTe SyTeS"

(NOTE: this was about 200 rounds on this target alone)

BTW no Pony logo on mine, just a wreath and two crossed cannons
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe I need a new gunsmith but......I can't keep a front sight on my Combat Commander .45. I had a set of Millet sights installed. So far I've lost three front sights. If I wasn't wearing galsses last time, my right eye would be toast. I don't even shoot it anymore and I have about 1,000 rounds left....
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 4:34:24 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Accurate, more so with a trigger job (including beavertail, hammer sear & trigger - sights are next!)

www.lewistechnogroup.com/guns/45s_and_target_4web.jpg

how far away from the target were you? thats important info, you could have been 2 feet away sence you didn't tell us.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 8:49:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.lewistechnogroup.com/guns/45s_and_target_4web.jpg

how far away from the target were you? thats important info, you could have been 2 feet away sence you didn't tell us.

LMAO,

True! I was about 21-25 feet away. I have been shooting at 25 yards lately and the groups are about 1 1/2-2 time the size and shrinking.

Shooting the centers out of the targets lately...I still need to work on it some but with practice comes improvement.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Glck = Imported piece of plastic aka Daihatsu

1911 = 4 major AMERICAN wars and it is made of STEEL!! aka Jeep

Jeep vs Daihatsu....I think it spells it out.

p.s. i know the jeeps only been in 3 wars..shhhh
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#25]
That last poster's sig line ruins his credibility...preach on, fly boy!  Eat plastic, and Glock on.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#26]
diss, What's wrong with my sig line????
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Almost a hundred years of experienced design in that slab sided 1911. Not one pistol has yet to have that much of a proven track record. Glocks Sigs and anything else may be just fine. But I'm used to twenty six years of 1911's and mine will punch a hole without a hick-up. I wouldn't presume for a minute to bad mouth another pistol, I'll just grin when I draw my COLT 1911.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Preach on Rick, I'm just bustin' the Glock's chops.  As a matter of fact, the glock was the first gun I ever shot.  My uncle let me shoot it when i was 8, then he handed me a .357 and I about sh@t my pants.  Then they handed me an AR15 and that is where the love affair started....
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine tended to be more dangerous to the shooter than any target down range.

Anti-theft takedown plunger will blind any thief who is not versed in proper takedown.

More deadly as a boomerang - but only the ricochets come back.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 9:56:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I LIKE IT!

Plus, you just have to hate a gun like the M1911 that refuses to blow up in your hand when shooting cast bullets through it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Darlin Marple, Others:
You 1911 guys all stick together and just maybee you can convince each other they are as good as you and the gun writers keep telling yourselves.

I do like the 1911 as a classic autoloader, probably THE classic in the USA.  But I have had the "pleasure" of shooting a few 1911's (mostly Colt and Springfield manufacturer) and out of the box these were unreliable.  They had at least a few hundred rounds down the tube so they were not un-broken-in either.  Mine in particular was a Colt Series 80, bought new in about 1984 if I recall correctly, never did work to my satisfaction for reliability.
The accurizing I had preformed was straight forward, bar-sto barrel and bushing, Bo-Mar adjustable rear sight fitted low, good trigger job with light trigger, nice commander style hammer and a beaver-tail grip safety, some checkering and a few other things by a "name" gunsmith here in Arizona.   The thing looked good and shot superbly, but still jammed like I said about 1 in 50 rounds. And yes I tried several 'good' magazines.
Now just recalling that pistol makes me fond of it's good handling ans fine accuracy.  But I am even more impressed that my $450 Glock has fired thousands of rounds without one failure, and NO gunsmithing.  I will never again buy a weapon thar needs gunsmithing when brand new.

If you want something that Cooper and many other "pistol experts" says is the best, get a 1911 and tweak it until it meets your requirements for reliable.  I need something that I trust every time, and the 1911 ain't it!

I do trust the AR15, damn they are excelent design and reliable!  This is what I demand in a handgun.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
1.  Doesn't hold enough bullets yo, I needs at least 50 to protect me and my crew.
2.  Don't come in pink
3.  Too hard to file off the serial numbers
4.  Single action scares me
5.  Doesn't look "cute"

< sarcasm off >

Gee Darin-maple I gots a Tec-9 with a fifty round,32round,and 20 round steel mags,pre-ban screw on barrels .ect that I would trade for one of those old prancing ponie dinasours!

Any takers!      Bob  
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Darlin Marple, Others:
You 1911 guys all stick together and just maybee you can convince each other they are as good as you and the gun writers keep telling yourselves.

I do like the 1911 as a classic autoloader, probably THE classic in the USA.  But I have had the "pleasure" of shooting a few 1911's (mostly Colt and Springfield manufacturer) and out of the box these were unreliable.  They had at least a few hundred rounds down the tube so they were not un-broken-in either.  Mine in particular was a Colt Series 80, bought new in about 1984 if I recall correctly, never did work to my satisfaction for reliability.
The accurizing I had preformed was straight forward, bar-sto barrel and bushing, Bo-Mar adjustable rear sight fitted low, good trigger job with light trigger, nice commander style hammer and a beaver-tail grip safety, some checkering and a few other things by a "name" gunsmith here in Arizona.   The thing looked good and shot superbly, but still jammed like I said about 1 in 50 rounds. And yes I tried several 'good' magazines.
Now just recalling that pistol makes me fond of it's good handling ans fine accuracy.  But I am even more impressed that my $450 Glock has fired thousands of rounds without one failure, and NO gunsmithing.  I will never again buy a weapon thar needs gunsmithing when brand new.

If you want something that Cooper and many other "pistol experts" says is the best, get a 1911 and tweak it until it meets your requirements for reliable.  I need something that I trust every time, and the 1911 ain't it!

I do trust the AR15, damn they are excelent design and reliable!  This is what I demand in a handgun.  

Stick the AR/15 in the dirt don't clean it then try it out,you will find out about it what you will find out about the sig or glock!

Do the same thing to an AK-47 or variant,or a  1911 and you will see why the loose tolerance is acceptably in the swamp or in the sand!

So give the swamp,jungle,dessert,proven 1911 its just due!

Bob  
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Bob

I totally agree with your point on the AR, but you can stick a Glock in anything you want to and I'll bet it comes out shooting.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I've got a really cheap 1911. Not even made in the USA (made in Argentina, to be specific). It's only jammed on me a few times, and only the first 2 times I shot it, and didn't know how to clean (it was my first gun).

I've had oppertunities to shoot a Glock and a Beretta 92F, and both were good. I've also shot a rather expensive (Springfield) 1911, also a good gun. The only real beef I have with the .45 is that ammo is really expensive. But that's not a 1911 problem, as the same holds true for all other .45ACP weapons. OTOH, of the 3 guns, there are more aftermarket accessories/add-ons/mods available for the 1911 (kind of like the AR-15 vs the G36 or Aug) than the others...

As for Mr AFROTC, good luck (unless, like my some of the cadets in my former detatchment (before I left the program), you're just in it for scholarship money (not that you are))...

However the 1911 was designed in Belgium (by John Browning, of FN), and produced by Colt/Springfield/etc... The A1 revisions originated here, the original design didn't.

Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:40:01 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Darlin Marple, Others:

Well jeez, I guess my old Remington-Rand and Singer are just anomalies, because I've not had one jam that wasn't due to a shitty magazine.  I guess my Kimber (stolen, sadly) was one of those drop in a rainbarrel guns that was always a shooter.  I guess my grandfather and his generation just had crappy, unreliable guns to go to war with.  I guess that's why military folks still lament the passing of the 1911, it was a such an unreliable POS.

I don't believe the unreliable stories unless I see them first hand.  I've only seen one 1911 have a problem, and that was a late model Colt (they are known to have serious QC problems).  I bought a Colt 1991A1 a year ago new for $500, put about $250 worth of work into it (even though I never test fired the weapon) and got a completely reliable tack-driver.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 7:07:28 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Darlin Marple, Others:

I think you might have missed the point of this thread, or the question I posed to you.  The thread was just to make the point that 1911's are good guns and some believe they are the best.

I asked what was wrong with your gun because I was genuinely interested, not to cause friction.

Personally, I have owned a HK, Sig, Beretta, Glock and Kimber.  I have shot my father's pre 70 series colt.  Based on this, I can say that the 1911 is a great gun if you are willing to spend the $$ to either buy a custom or gunsmith one out of the box.  For me, I shoot and handle the 1911 better than any of the guns I own so the 1911 is the best gun for me, period.  I don't need others to convince me of what I already have proven to myself.

If you think the 1911 suck, great, but remember, it is just a gun, there is nothing personal about it.

Link Posted: 10/11/2002 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Buy a decent 1911.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#40]
I have a bunch of 1911's (Wilsons) and a bunch of Glocks.  None of my 1911's have ever jammed on me.  Ever.

Quoted:
You 1911 pantaloons really are entertaining...Glock on baby!  12,000 rounds from my Glock 22, and still waiting for the first jam---eat poo 1911 weirdos.  

Get with the 21st century and ditch your old dinosaur- out with the old and in with the new!
Did I mention- Glock on!  

Link Posted: 10/11/2002 8:04:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Does ROTC still mean Rats On Toasted Cheese?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/11/2002 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Yo homeez, you can't be stylin' like dis wid a peece of combat tupperware!!

www.recoilmag.com/news/new_gangsta_trend_0902.html
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 10:03:44 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Yo homeez, you can't be stylin' like dis wid a peece of combat tupperware!!

www.recoilmag.com/news/grfx/new_gangsta_trend_0902.jpg

www.recoilmag.com/news/new_gangsta_trend_0902.html

Damn, das phat dawg!  Homey be keepin it real, true dat!
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 10:08:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Real men shot 1911's and their women do too....as Col. Jeff!
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Does ROTC still mean Rats On Toasted Cheese?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/24/2002 10:40:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Only thing I carry simply because cant get my AR  in my shoulder holster
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#47]
My favorite thing to hate on 1911s is some of their sweet triggers like Springfied's FBI model or some of Para Ordinance's triggers. I love my HK USP, but I have to admit I love some triggers I have tried on various 1911s.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 11:21:29 PM EDT
[#48]
I like my 1911s because if I run empty, I can still whack a scumbag upside the head with it, and he will go right to sleep. It just don't feel right, using a plastic hammer....
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 3:32:08 AM EDT
[#49]
I say glocks suck because of the light weight plastic frame. The slide is too heavy and the grip is too light, so the damn thing flips way up when you fire it, and it takes too long for an accurate follow up shot. It's also real hard on your hands.

I like smith&wesson tactical .45
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 6:45:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Whats next? Trashing Hi-powers?

The only thing plastic I want for protection is a credit card. Guns should be made of metal.

Just my .02
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top