Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2002 4:40:15 PM EDT
If the Senate has their way and gets manufacturers to make "smart guns" how in the hell could we go to the range and let friends and family try our guns? If it requires a certain fingerprint to activate the gun to fire will they make it so you can turn it off and anyone can fire it? If not say bye bye to private party transfers.

www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/ny-bc-nj--xgr-preview0929sep29,0,6643445.story?coll=ny-ap-regional-wire
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
If not say bye bye to private party transfers.

That is precisely the idea.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Let's have our public officials' bodyguards test these for 10 years.  Also, ATF and IRS could be required to carry these weapons so that bad guys could not take them away and use against them.  

I wonder if they work with a bandaid on your finger?  What if you have to fire it with your other hand?  What if your partner (in case of LEOs) must use your gun?  What if your wife (for citizens) or teenage children need your weapon for defense in the home?  Will there be devices that turn these guns off from a distance?  Will the bad guys get these devices?  Will the govt use these devices against citizens in order to sieze weapons? If you disable the "smart gun" technology, will it be a felony, like converting a gun to full auto or grinding off a serial number?  Will "dumb guns" become illegal to possess shortly after the availability of "smart guns".

Well, I think smart guns are a dumb idea.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 10:54:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Will the govt use these devices against citizens in order to sieze weapons? If you disable the "smart gun" technology, will it be a felony, like converting a gun to full auto or grinding off a serial number?  Will "dumb guns" become illegal to possess shortly after the availability of "smart guns".

Well, the smart gun manufacturers will probably license the technology to 3rd party companies that will make kits to retro-fit the dump-guns into smart guns. All guns must have the accepted smart-gun technology so that the govt can disable all smart-weapons by sending a radio signal.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 11:58:41 PM EDT
[#4]
A basement STEN beats a "smartgun" anyday.

Gun folks are mechanically savvy.  Think about it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#5]
A savvy range instructor once told me - "the best safety is the one between your ears!"

I'll keep my guns "dumb", thankyou.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Guns, what guns?? I had to sell them all.....
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 12:02:33 AM EDT
[#7]
It will probably be a ring that you wear on your shooting hand!  And that could lead to all kind of what ifs!  Most all of them bad,If I get knocked to the ground and pick the pistol up in my off hand what then? Well then you have a two pound brass knuck!

Just say no!      202-225-3121 gets you into the congressional phone grid where you can tell your state congressman how you feel about the Iraq proposition!

Let him know how you feel on gun control,and gun devises as well!

Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top