Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2002 1:26:23 PM EDT
just bought my first shootgun. a model 870 with a rifled barrel.i know its a slug gun,but how bad will my barrel be affected if i shoot a small amount of 8 shot?
  thanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#1]
You can probably shoot some shot through it, but what for?  You'll get absolutely piss-poor accuracy and patterning, you may also suffer some pressure trouble from the wadding and the rifling.

Do yourself a favor and spring for a proper barrel with replaceable chokes.  Shouldn't cost you too much amd you'll actually have a safe and working solution rather than a potential mess.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#3]
have to respond here on the subject of replacement barrels for 870s.  last time I went looking you could just about buy another gun for what the barrel, esp. one with rem-chokes, would cost you.

and before anyone says "well buy a old/used barrel" when they came out with rem-choke they changed the mating of the barrel and receiver so that a rem-choked barrel couldn't be put on a pre-change receiver and vice versa.  so you have to know the age/manufacture date of the gun.

(note the following is my opinion only and I have been known to piss folks off, my apologies in advance)

if you want a shotgun to shoot anything but slugs meant for a rifled barrel. trade the rifled 870 in and get a used (or new) 870 express.  in fact except as a deer gun in states that don't allow rifles for deer. I can see no utility to a rifled barrel on a shotgun.  there are slugs out there that are intended to be fired from a smoothbore.  thus a smoothbore shotgun can do almost anything you'd want defense-etc. wise out to 100yds while a rifled-slug barrel can only shoot slugs.  

to me and many others (including a good number of instructors at Thunder ranch if I read the info on classes correctly) the smoothbore is to be preferred b/c by simply changing your ammo type you change what it can be effectively used for. while a slug gun is a one trick pony.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a new barrel. You don't want to ruin the rifling, especially if you'll use sabots or slugs. With the new sabots out on the market today, you can easily sight in at 150 yards and still make a shot out to 200.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top