Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2002 11:01:39 AM EDT
Just a question for our resident ammo experts,

how much better is the greentip (steel-core) ammo vs south african in 223?

Is the penetration/accuracy difference (if any)a significant advantage? I know most .223 will pierce body armour and cars etc.etc., so what is the benefit for the extra cost?

Thanks

Ryan
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The M855 (SS109) was designed for long range penetration of helmets.

At close range, the M193 is actually a better penetrator due to the velocity advantage.

All the info you could want is found here:  Ammo FAQ
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The M855 (SS109) was designed for long range penetration of helmets.

At close range, the M193 is actually a better penetrator due to the velocity advantage.

All the info you could want is found here:  Ammo FAQ

Should have read that a long time ago!!  Is SA .223 equivalent to the M193?
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is SA .223 equivalent to the M193?

Yes.  The Surplus stuff is.  However, the current SA in the "Gazelle" box and the stuff with "DNL" on the headstamp is loaded light.  Both of those come from the same ammo plant that produced the SA M193 surplus that's out there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey, Brou, what is the deal with the SA powder, the cat urine smell?  What are they doing that no one else does?
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hey, Brou, what is the deal with the SA powder, the cat urine smell?  What are they doing that no one else does?

It doubles as kitty litter before it's loaded up.

Seriously, I don't know.  Have you ever tried smelling Wolf ammo?  Bring a barf bag...
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a cannister of AA2230C from Natches Shooters Supply a few months back.  I have not loaded with it yet, but the price was great, but for a few bucks more I can get WC844 pulldown (which I have no hesitation using).

I noticed on the jug of 2230C a tiny sticker saing it was made in Republic of South Africa.  So, I wonder if it is the same powder as in the SA battle packs?  

The fresh powder has the same acetone / antiseptic odor that IMR and other US powders have.

I plan to load up about 2K of pulled greentips with this stuff, so...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top