Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2002 8:33:33 AM EDT
...anywhere carry AR-15s, G-3 clones, etc.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 8:35:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Buffalo Gun center......harlem rd.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Shit son, B&J Shooting Supply in Albany, 1818 Central Ave in Builder Square Plaza.  518-862-9831, ask for Brian and tell him Michael sent ya.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Where in NY are you. Upstate is pretty big.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#4]
American Sportsman - Rochester, NY.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 7:05:24 AM EDT
[#5]
The greater syracuse area...north, but I work in the city.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 8:28:00 AM EDT
[#6]
In the Syracuse area I'm not sure of too many that stock ARs.  The one shop I have never been to however that offers some promise is Butternut gun shop?  I think thats the name.  It is in the SYR phone book but I can't seem to find it online.  Kind of a scary looking place with a fenced in front yard with some big dogs prowling around.  I must have tried three time to go there but they keep strange hours IIRC.

North of the city in Central Square is Central NY Sports.  They often have at least a couple of Bushmasters kicking around and once in a while a black rifle or two in the used racks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 8:40:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Bought mine at Johnson's in Lockport, NY--NE of Buffalo in '89. Buffalo Gun Center might be good, though they cater to the LE.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 10:42:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll try that, thanks.  What has been your experience getting something online, then getting a local FFl to do the transfer?  Have you ever done that?

The Shotgun News has a few Syracuse-area folks that will do that, I guess I'll just call one of them.

I have a small shop near my home that I give a TON of business, I just thought I might expand the options a bit.

Where do you do your shooting?
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The greater syracuse area...north, but I work in the city.

I also work in Syracuse. Gem Sports (Ra-Lins) carries a few black rifles, but tend to be high priced and have little selection. Butternut Sports on Lodi Street? This guy has a HUGE inventory, including lots of prebans. Call him for an appointment, wear boots (to help avoid doggie bombs), and be prepared for an unusual experience. "Eccentric" sums it up nicely, and "expensive." Bringing a flashlight might not be a bad idea, as the lighting in the store is atrocious.

Care to travel a bit? Frank's Guns in Marcy is a very good shop with decent inventory and prices. He is in Marcy, NY, near Utica. Out towards Rochester, Liberty Gunshop and Pro Gun are two decent shops, with ProGun being the better of the two for blackrifles.

Frank's is definitely your best bet for black rifles and decent pricing. He carries Armalite, Springfield, HK, Benelli, Bushmaster, etc. He usually has some of the Century stuff in stock as well for less expensive options.

I have bought guns both from online dealers and from Gun List, sending the guns to my local FFL. Talk to your shop about doing transfers. A usual fee is around $20-25, plus you avoid sales tax with out of state transactions.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Aimless, Frank was at the Syracuse gunshow. He was located to the left of the front entrance next to the main center aisle, about midway across. He had guns hanging on overhead wooden racks and LOTS of Remingtons in boxes on his table. I think he was the only guy with an HK SL8 or an HK .45 rifle at the show...He had plenty of black rifles on the racks.

He is a blonde guy, probably in his 40s.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Shit son, B&J Shooting Supply in Albany, 1818 Central Ave in Builder Square Plaza.  518-862-9831, ask for Brian and tell him Michael sent ya.

I'll second this.  B&J's has probably (literally) 25 to 30+ AR15s in stock at any given time...pre- and post ban, Colt's, Bushies, Stoner's, DPMS, Armalite, etc. Highly recommend.  

Hiram, Petey sends his regards!
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#13]
This is great info.  So far I have:

Butternut Gun Shop, Syracuse:
(315)478-2225 (Weird hours, great selection)

Frank's Guns, Marcy (near utica)
(315) 736-0062

B&J Shooting Supply, Albany
(518)-862-9831

I think I will check those out, might skip the Buffalo shops due to the distance.  I know the smaller shops detest "tire kickers" and I am pretty confident about what I am after, I just think checking out a few shops would be a good idea...never know what you might find on the used-rack, and I like to spend locally when I can.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Greetings All.

Great thread here, as I will be moving to Syracuse by the end of October, 2002, and now know where to shop (and ship).  A bit off topic here, but since we're Syracuse/central New York focused, can anyone recommend rifle, shotgun, pistol ranges in the area?  Many thanks in advance.

O'DubhGhaill
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#16]
O'Dub...CNY has a LOT of shooting ranges. It really depends on your location, N,S,E,W of the city, and your interests. Usual fees range from less than $20 to maybe $70 per year. Some clubs have indoor pistol ranges. Some have trap or 3D archery. One club does cowboy action shooting and IPSC. One club does hipower matches and has a 300 yd range. One does a lot of blackpowder. All are pretty much within a half-hours drive of Syracuse. One local drawback is that most clubs have limited long range shooting opportunities. Email me with a more specific location and I'd be glad to point you in the right direction, if I can.

My club is $25/year. It has a covered outdoor range with decent benches, a 3D course, a trap league, about 50 acres which can be hunted by club members, and is generally black rifle friendly. I routinely shoot with 3-4 like minded guys. It is about a 20 mile drive SW of Syracuse.

Aimless, Ra-Lins POed a lot of people with their new $50 fee, up from $25. I have an FFL at my club who charges $10. You have to look around.

If you want postban black rifles, Franks is probably the place to go. Butternut has  mostly preban stuff (under all the dust). The owner is semi-retired, and has a large inventory from his active days.

Shameless plug-I have a friend with a minty Oly preban topped with a 20" Colt upper for private sale in the $1200 range. If any of you local guys want to take it for a test drive, drop me a line.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/18/2002 6:05:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Indoor pistol range!!!!!! where?

Syracuse Pistol Club, up past Liverpool(on Henry Clay Blvd), big bullseye group there. Just looked in the phone book, they also list a 2nd address in Fulton?

I think both Skaneateles and Camillus R&G clubs also have indoor pistol ranges. I plan on checking out the Skan. club, as chasing .45 brass in the snow rapidly loses appeal.

Aimless, you wouldn't happen to be a member at B'ville R&G club would you? I know they have a 100 & 200 yd outdoor range. My father-in-law is an active member there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top