Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2002 8:21:15 PM EDT
Was hoping some fellow Coloradans could help out here..

Some friends and I are looking for a place around metro Denver to go shooting our ARs, .22s, and shotguns. Not a structured shooting range, but more like some places to blast... maybe plink is a better word. We've got water jugs, pop cans, and watermelons in mind.

All the places we've found are 4x4 access only, which is a pain, since we're all city (well.. suburb) dwellers, and own sedans and such.

Does anyone know where we might find such a place? In case anyone has private property, I should state that we're all responsible college students, and clean up after ourselves. No booze, either.

Thanks in advance,
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not from Colorado but have been shooting in Colorado so I will leave directions to the others.  I just want to remind you to pick up any junk that you take in so the place stays open to shooting.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 9:12:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you even have a gun in metro Denver?
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#3]
No idea about Denver proper, but in Centennial (new city formed south of Denver), I'm free to own what I like.

I do know, though, that you can't possess an AR-15 or similar scary-looking gun while in Denver city limits. Really tard-headed of them. I go to school at CU Denver, so I have to put up with a lot of liberal BS.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#4]
CU Denver liberal, HA!
Try it up here at Boulder, we don't even have a frickin gun shop up here, unless you count the piece of crap garts. One place to buy (overpriced, no selection) ammo in the whole damn town.

If you just want to blast you should go out into the national forest. It would be a ways to drive, but there are places to shoot that you would not need 4x4.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 10:25:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, it's not like we have a gun shop in Denver... scary thing is that I'll be at Boulder at semester...

National forests, though... any specific recommendations? Seems they closed down a big part of Pike National forest to general shooting.. was wondering if anyone knew of a specific location with a good backstop, not too far from a road.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 5:11:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Try it up here at Boulder, we don't even have a frickin gun shop up here,...

Did Bighorn Trading go out of business?

he was not too far from the public library and BHS..
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 5:27:42 AM EDT
[#7]
kcohak,

drive up the road north of FtCollins & head into the grass lands, when i lived in Loveland, my wife & i found many good places to shoot..., even shot my cannon out there........
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 6:38:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try it up here at Boulder, we don't even have a frickin gun shop up here,...

Did Bighorn Trading go out of business?

he was not too far from the public library and BHS..

Yep, Bighorn has been gone for awhile now.  Hard to believe, huh?  Someone told me it reopened under a new name, but I've not been over there to confirm it.

Longmont was also without a gunshop after Paladin Arms closed.  However, we now have a new shop, Lexington Arms, on Main Street.  Nice shop and nice folks, and the owner is an AR enthusiast.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#9]
The interior of the Denver courthouse comes to mind... but that would pretty much be a one-time thing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Have you gone over to talk with the guys at the Colorado AR Shooters?
www.co-ar15.com
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#12]
LeftHand Canyon is just outside of Boulder, if you just want to blast. Oct 6th, we'll be having a shoot in the Pawnee National Grasslands, watch for a post this weekend.

dave
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I've heard left-hand canyon is good.. What sort of distance can you shoot at there?

Is shotgunning out of the question?

Sorry for all the questions; I'm just trying a get a complete picture.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 3:45:49 AM EDT
[#14]
The location in Lefthand Canyon that I am familiar with is good for up to 100 yards, and is suitable for any type of weapon.

The only downside is that it can get quite crowded during the weekends, and is potentially quite dangerous.  No range officer, people shooting in odd directions, and the occasional bozo that doesn't know safe firearms handling.

The best time to go is during the week.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#15]
There is a gunshop in Boulder! 14th and Arapaho (sp?) it's kind of by the Pearl Street mall. They stock mostly hunting type rifles and pistols of various types. I've been to left hand canyon a few times, but I really want a place with some more range it it, and less trash and assorted nastyness lying around. I've been meaning to scout out Roosvelt National forest, as long as your 150' (I think that's the distance) from a road or body of water your good to go anywhere in the National Forest.

mrf2
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 10:07:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
There is a gunshop in Boulder! 14th and Arapaho (sp?) it's kind of by the Pearl Street mall. They stock mostly hunting type rifles and pistols of various types. I've been to left hand canyon a few times, but I really want a place with some more range it it, and less trash and assorted nastyness lying around. I've been meaning to scout out Roosvelt National forest, as long as your 150' (I think that's the distance) from a road or body of water your good to go anywhere in the National Forest.

mrf2

Cool, I'm gonna have to go tommorrow.

Lefthand canyon is scary.
When I went there were a bunch of idiots (drinking beer) trying to shoot clay pigeons. Didn't like being next to them so we went up the road. Long story short one the more "responsible" people we where next to had an AD and shot his thumb.
Whole time I was up there I just knew somebody was gonna get shot. And it happened, how many times you been shooting that happened?
Might be better on the weekend, early too, before the hicks wake up.
Link Posted: 9/6/2002 2:46:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I was up there at Left Hand Wed. morning at 0800, thought I'd beat the rush, get some time alone. Was there maybe 30 minutes before some other guys showed up. Then Forest Service showed up to check things out. They were making sure we "packed out what we packed in", which I always do. But I hate the jerks that bring up trash, 10 speed bikes, PC's, TV's and old sinks. They are going to get Left Hand closed down. I noticed a few times a pile of raked up trash at the entrance, so someone or somebody is trying to keep the place clean!

But ya still have those few JERKS! Took my son up not to long ago and was surprised to find a nice 2x4 bench someone had brought up. Made a great place to set our things and sit down, son could use it for a bench rest too. Well the next week I went up it was GONE! Was probably blasted to bits as a target stand by the second day!

Lets try to keep Left Hand open, seems like the Forest Service is making a bigger presence now than ever. We already lost the first shooting spot to the bikers and ATV guys (by the way most likely the best spot) lets not loose the whole place because of some few irresponsible people!
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 12:45:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Bighorn Trading, the place Mrf2 mentioned, is renovated and open.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 7:04:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Bighorn Trading's open again?? I need to check that out. Any opinions on the place?
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh the memories...  I use to spend summers up in Eldora(in Roosevelt Nat'l Forest).  Never heard any gunshots though.  Getting pretty populated now.

Joe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top