Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2002 7:34:10 PM EDT
My CLEO will sign off for an NFA registered 14" shorty shotgun ( I am going with a Vang Comp Remington 870 Mag. either way.)

My question is, is that 14" barrel any more practical than a standard 18" barrel or am I going to just waste $200 for the NFA paperwork and be a few rounds short in the process?
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 11:21:11 PM EDT
[#1]
No doubt that the 14" would make a better entry weapon for you. If you are ever going to be doing such things as clearing rooms and going into lots of buildings, then you will find it much more maneuverable. But if the above isn't the case, then I would just get the 18" barrel for a bit of extra velocity.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 12:30:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#3]
14" would be alot easier to get out of the patrol car shotgun rack.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Aggie, I thought of buying an NFA shotgun myself. I don't see why not, after all, it's all about what you want personally.
I would buy one, if the tax stamp wasn't $200 per gun.
None the less, I still want one to just have.
colt
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 1:35:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Where do you live, AggieAlum??
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Since you're asking about a DEFENSIVE shotgun, I would suggest whatever model gives you the most capacity.  When I think of a defensive situation, I think of hunkering down in a defensable position until the threat is eliminated, or is no longer present.  Wandering through your house clearing rooms is not a defensive situation IMO.  Others may disagree, but that's my two cents.

If an intruder breaks into my house, I will lock myself in my bedroom (where all my guns are), and call the police.  My job is to stay safe and alive until they arrive.  Then, THEY can clear the rooms in my house.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless your house has really narrow halls and alot of tight turns, I'd think an 18" barrel would suffice.  I'd go with an 18" Rem 870 or Winchester 1300 and spend the 200 bucks on a pistol grip/folding stock, magazine tube extention and ammo.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the 14" gun. That way, you have the OPTION of putting the 18" barrel on it. IMO, the 18" is a great gun for the patrol car. It would be nice to have both barrels though, just in case.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#9]
ArmedAggie,
  I live in the Clear Lake area.

Snoogins 70,
  You are right, 14" shotgun it is!
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't think I would want to go to court after a defensive shooting if I had used a 14" NFA gun. They would waste no time painting you as a gun freak laying in wait.

JMHO
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 7:21:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Go with the 14in. barrel and one shot ScatterGun Tech extension, this will give you five in the magazine and a very nice, compact package with the standard stock. You can always get an 18 / 20 in. barrel and a two shot extension later if you want.

There are probably none around anymore, but my understanding is that if the gun was shipped direct from the factory to the Class 3 dealer with the 14' barrel on it "OEM" then there is only a $5 transfer fee. I believe this was stopped after 94, but am not sure...worth checking into, anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top