Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2002 7:02:57 PM EDT
I finally got one.  Had to pay MSRP, that sucks, but I wanted it.  The handgaurds and buttstock are a little cheesy, but the rifle is meant to be light.  It has been 100% reliable.  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I finally got one.  Had to pay MSRP, that sucks, but I wanted it.  The handgaurds and buttstock are a little cheesy, but the rifle is meant to be light.  It has been 100% reliable.  Any thoughts?

So $695+TT&L ??

Where'd you find one ???
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Good for you. I just got one myself today at the gunshow. I picked mine up for $600 marked down from $750! I'll be going to the range in the morning to break it in.
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Good for you. I just got one myself today at the gunshow. I picked mine up for $600 marked down from $750! I'll be going to the range in the morning to break it in.

MARKED DOWN FROM $750????????????????  Well, since MSRP is $650, the 'marked down from $750' was a lie.

uncleSAM, how do you figure the buttstock is a little cheesy?  The trap holds more stuff than the one on the AR15 type rifles.  The handguards are thinner material because they used a new composite for them and it could be done so.

cnatra, MSRP is $650, not $695.
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 8:20:54 PM EDT
[#4]
His original price was $750 for his gun store, but he had $650 for the gunshow. Since I'm a regular at his shop he gave me a discount. In the end I think I got a good deal.
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 4:32:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I got mine for $650 at Jim Pruett's gun shop in off of HW290 in Houston.  I didn't like paying MSRP, but these rifles are hard to find now so it is probably a seller's market.  LARRYG, I just think that Armalite could have made the stock a little more beefer.  I still like the gun alot, this is just my observation.
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 7:38:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow, your dealers are expensive.  I saw one at the gunshow priced at 695 and was about to buy it after fondling it for awhile, but since I've turned away from the dark side(impulse buying), I had to walk and consider it.  Lo behold on my return to get it the dealer lowered the price to 599.00.  sold.  Jeff
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 7:45:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
His original price was $750 for his gun store, but he had $650 for the gunshow. Since I'm a regular at his shop he gave me a discount. In the end I think I got a good deal.

If he had it marked at $750 at the store, he had it about $100 over.  He did that so people would think they were getting a good deal.  Sounds a little unscrupolous to me.  MSRP is $650.  I am not criticizing you and you got the gun at MSRP, but this dealer is utilizing an old trick so people think they are making out.
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 7:45:17 AM EDT
[#8]
AR180B
Gas system is great, It has the right feel, I would buy one in a minute except for one issue.
Why no chrome lined barrel?
I hate cleaning non-chrome lined barrels!
I bet it would cost a company like Armalite like $5 more per barrel to chrome line them, So cost really is not a factor.
Is Armalite protecting it Higher priced Guns?
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 7:50:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
AR180B
Gas system is great, It has the right feel, I would buy one in a minute except for one issue.
Why no chrome lined barrel?
I hate cleaning non-chrome lined barrels!
I bet it would cost a company like Armalite like $5 more per barrel to chrome line them, So cost really is not a factor.
Is Armalite protecting it Higher priced Guns?

patience
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

==============================================

i know you are not asking me, but i'll say it any way..., the whole damn gun looks "CHEESY" to me.......

Link Posted: 8/18/2002 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey Cactus you are right, it does look a little cheesy.  I bought it to to a beater gun so I would not scratch up my pre-ban Colt/Busy M4, Bushy HBAR, or my M1A.  I was leaning toward a SAR-3, but I like the 5.56 much better.  I don't think the 180B, in it's present offering, is in the same playing feild as a quality made AR, but for what it was made to compete with, the Mini-14, it is a shining star.  By the way, the trigger kinda sucks but it seems to be breaking in ok.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

i know you are not asking me, but i'll say it any way..., the whole damn gun looks "CHEESY" to me.......

You're right, no one asked you.
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I like my AR-180B more than I like any of it's critics.
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I was at the Houston show on Saturday, Precision Armory had three of them, not sure of the price.

www.PrecisionArmory.com

He is out of Magnolia, TX (281) 252-4867
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#15]
uncleSAM,

you have a damn good point there !! use that junk yard refugee as a beater.., would if i needed a beater......, but i usually kill all the pack rats with .22 shot......, i guess i could consider using one as a pry bar..., but touching that fugly thing won't be easy...

compete with the Mini-14.........? i do not have one of them, but from what i have read & heard they are a fine rifle.., is the price comparable...??
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#16]
It could be worse, try $2250 on Gunbroker.
www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=4953665

Jake
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If he had it marked at $750 at the store, he had it about $100 over.  He did that so people would think they were getting a good deal.  Sounds a little unscrupolous to me.  MSRP is $650.  I am not criticizing you and you got the gun at MSRP, but this dealer is utilizing an old trick so people think they are making out.

Ha, we have this local dealer, Traders Sports that outrageously overprices their pistols, at least a hundred over msrp., then puts a sale tag on them for msrp.  That said, when they have real sales they kick ass.  I got a sig 229 from them for $550, a Kimber Pro Carry SLE for $640, and a dual cylinder Vacquero for $399.  In fact I'm going there tomorrow to get a Walther P99 for $499.  But if you go in cold and don't know what you are talking about you'll get a reaming.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 4:58:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It could be worse, try $2250 on Gunbroker.
www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=4953665

Jake

This is a preban AR-180 and only $700-$800 overpriced.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 5:20:05 AM EDT
[#19]
i'd say over priced by $2000

but with the scope, maybe only $1900
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 5:23:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I like my AR-180B more than I like any of it's critics.

Shoots straighter too !!
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Do you have an AR180 or AR180B?  I doubt that you have one or have ever fired one.  Why are you ragging on it so much?
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I wonder if I should post what I payed for my -180B.

Nah, that wouldn't be nice.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Cactus,
if you don't play nice I'm gonna up and shoot your prick off !!

Link Posted: 8/19/2002 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I was at the Houston show on Saturday, Precision Armory had three of them, not sure of the price.

www.PrecisionArmory.com

I bought a Armalite M15A4 carbine from him last fall.  A good guy.

I need to get by Pruetts place sometime.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.PrecisionArmory.com

I bought a Armalite M15A4 carbine from him last fall.  A good guy.

I need to get by Pruetts place sometime.

Do you have directions to the Radio God's Shop?
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cactus,

Interesting though process and a lovely visual!
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey cactus, when I say "beater" I mean a gun that I won't get upset over if it gets scratched.  I like to baby my preban & high dollar stuff, but it is nice to have something to go into the woods with without cradling it.  By the way, do you eat those rats?
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Go ahead.  I doubt you did any better than I did.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$570. I think. It was back in April, and my memory is fuzzy at 0226.

And if I'm not mistaken it was you, Larry, who pointed it out to me in a thread over at Armalite. Thanks yo.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 4:50:53 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have an AR180 or AR180B?  I doubt that you have one or have ever fired one.  Why are you ragging on it so much?

see the grin dumbass...........?
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 4:52:58 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cactus,

you are gonna need a lot of ammo......., i got a lot of pricks.......!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 4:56:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cactus,

I know you can't shoot back cause all you got are those high dollar collector guns - those ArmaLite clones made by..........what's that company ??  Pony, Young Horse ?? Sumpin like that.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 5:08:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Hey cactus, when I say "beater" I mean a gun that I won't get upset over if it gets scratched.  I like to baby my preban & high dollar stuff, but it is nice to have something to go into the woods with without cradling it.  By the way, do you eat those rats?

===============================================

i know what you mean by a "beater", i have one that i actually use to beat things with, such as cats, i finish them off by bashing in their skulls wyth the butt, providing they have a skull after i shoot them.......

as to the rats..., nahhhhh, i don't eat them, i save them for the nice fellas on FUKAUTO.com, they think those rats are a delicacy........

Link Posted: 8/20/2002 5:19:04 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cactus,

I know you can't shoot back cause all you got are those high dollar collector guns - those ArmaLite clones made by..........what's that company ??  Pony, Young Horse ?? Sumpin like that.

guess what ol buddy....., i only have two unfired AR-15s........., (ooops !! i do have those two Vietnam commemoratives, that makes 4..!) those other "high dollar" AR-15s (Colt of course !!) get a constant work out, then of course there are the beaters, Bushie, E.A., & an Eagle, but being as the Eagle is a very early model & in very good condition.., i just shoot it !!!

Link Posted: 8/20/2002 6:41:30 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got your dumbass
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

You know I've never been there but I think it's near Hwy 290 & Loop 610 .
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#37]

All of this talk of beater guns....

I think ya'll got it all wrong!

Its not guns you beat 'er with, its images of....

Link Posted: 8/20/2002 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#38]

see the grin dumbass...........?I got your dumbass
================================================

thank you..., i am happy now that you understand.....
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cactus,

guess what ol buddy....., i only have two unfired AR-15s........., (ooops !! i do have those two Vietnam commemoratives, that makes 4..!) those other "high dollar" AR-15s (Colt of course !!) get a constant work out, then of course there are the beaters, Bushie, E.A., & an Eagle, but being as the Eagle is a very early model & in very good condition.., i just shoot it !!!

Well, at leastyou have one real AR - the EAGLE !!
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Gi_Brat, go 290 past Beltway 8 and exit Huffmiester (sp).  Take a right and it will be about a mile down on the left in a strip mall.  The "Radio God" normally has his red Hummer parked out in front with a sign on it.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Gi_Brat, go 290 past Beltway 8 and exit Huffmiester (sp).  Take a right and it will be about a mile down on the left in a strip mall.  The "Radio God" normally has his red Hummer parked out in front with a sign on it.  Hope this helps.

Thanks, I used to see him at the Houston/Pasadena shows a lot until he opened his shop.
..the morning show isn't the same without S&P...
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I got your dumbass

I'll let you look at (if your promise not to touch) my AR-180B if you stop doing that line of equal signs after you quote somebody.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

$570. I think. It was back in April, and my memory is fuzzy at 0226.

And if I'm not mistaken it was you, Larry, who pointed it out to me in a thread over at Armalite. Thanks yo.

That's about what I got mine for.

So, you got the one that I pointed out to you that was posted on ar15.com?
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 5:50:10 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got your dumbass

I'll let you look at (if your promise not to touch) my AR-180B if you stop doing that line of equal signs after you quote somebody.

geeeeeee.....!! now whats wrong with = signs?? geeesh you folks shure are nit piky......
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
That's about what I got mine for.

So, you got the one that I pointed out to you that was posted on ar15.com?

Yeah.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Go out on 290 north past 1960, exit Huffmeister, take a right, and keep going.  The first large shopping center on the left.  You'll see a hummer or something out front with a sign.  It's on the west side of the strip mall.  They're good people to deal with, though they tend to be firm on prices (their prices are low anyway... lower than Carter's any day, even on gunshow days, when Bill cuts prices)
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#47]
If anyone wants a 5.56 BEATER, The $250 Siaga is hard to beat, Super reliable AK Action, Chrome lined barrel, Easy to convert to Hi-Caps(converts to use cheap, Super reliable AK-74 mags).  
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 12:17:15 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably because he's jealous of the fact that this "new" rifle is more reliable,not as finiky with ammo,just as accurate,and is in the same price range as an AR-15.
Link Posted: 8/26/2002 2:42:40 PM EDT
[#49]
GI_Brat,
Thanks for the tip about Precision Armoury. I was able to pick up an Ar-180B from them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top