Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2002 6:18:54 AM EDT
Just wondering, how do you guys pay for your insatiable appetite for guns, ammo, assessories etc, etc......
Its tough these days: truck note,house note,kids tuition,boat in shop etc....I'm sure I'm not alone here; so how do ya'll do it?I, myself go to the bank every pay period (paid every 2 weeks) and take a little cash out and pigeon hole it away and try not to spend it. When I finally save up enough to buy something I'll make a purchase. I have used the lay-away plan in past, but have deceided not to do that anymore for now. I would never use credit to pay for a new toy. I've seen a lot of eye candy on this site, so let me in on your secrets.
Thanks
L.P.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:47:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess I'll be first.

I make my wife work for it, and take her money!

Just kidding.
I do a lot of freelance work so all most everything
I have purchased comes from that. I may buy something
with out having the freelance money available but
in the end so far its paid for everything this year.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:11:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:31:19 AM EDT
[#3]
heh....good question.

I'm fortunate in that I make a decent living at my job. It's not 80k a year, but it's enough that I can afford a toy here or there. What I usually find myself doing is this -

1. If I'm gunning (argh!) for something, I'll wait till I have about 60-70% of the cost, and then put the rest on a card to pay back later. It doesn't bother me with the whole 'record of purchase' thing, because in NJ it's basically everything is registered, so I'd be screwed anyway. I agree...I'm not big on using credit for a whole purchase anymore....just for those (I'll have the rest in 2 weeks but I want it NOW moments).

2. My local gunshop is REALLY cool when it comes to payments. If I need something ordered, I just need to put 25% down and then pay whatever whenever. Once the item is in it's 30 days to pay for it. It's never bothered me a bit.

3. I'll cut back on the frivolities....go really cheap for lunches/dinners for a while, etc. Get a box of whole wheat rice and a package of skinless chicken breasts, and for 15 bucks I've got food for an entire week.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:36:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just wondering, how do you guys pay for your insatiable appetite for guns, ammo, assessories etc, etc......
Its tough these days: truck note,house note,kids tuition,boat in shop etc....I'm sure I'm not alone here; so how do ya'll do it?I, myself go to the bank every pay period (paid every 2 weeks) and take a little cash out and pigeon hole it away and try not to spend it. When I finally save up enough to buy something I'll make a purchase. I have used the lay-away plan in past, but have deceided not to do that anymore for now. I would never use credit to pay for a new toy. I've seen a lot of eye candy on this site, so let me in on your secrets.
Thanks
L.P.

get rid of the boat. thats what you got friends with boats but no guns for!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:36:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't usually take "vacations", as in cruises and such. My vacations are usually spent near home, or visiting relatives (the BRC is one recent exception).

I don't have a car or truck note. I drive an old Dodge FWD that I have all of $1000 invested in (I do need to buy something better soon though).

I'm single, no kids. Girl friends are less expensive than wives, although I'll prolly get hitched one of these days.

My mortgage, electric, phone, and satellite bills come to less than $900/month. I left Maryland due to high taxes and high property values.

I usually eat meals at home. Going to restaraunts all the time gets expensive.

I sold my race car and many of the associated parts. I'm thinking of selling my other muscle car due to what it would cost to restore it the way I want.

And finally, I have a "good" job. Not six figures, but well above average.

Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:40:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
get rid of the boat. thats what you got friends with boats but no guns for!!!

What He Said!!!!

Boats are a huge drain. Luckily, I have lots of boater friends, and can always find a way to get out on the Bay. The trick is to help them work on their boats when needed.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I try to put a little aside every month to support my habit.  Sometimes I find a good buy that I don't have the cash for so I put it on my credit card and pay it off over the next couple of months.  That's only my temporary solution though.  I'm sure I'll win the lottery or hear from Ed McMahon soon.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#8]
A good job, and LOTZ of overtime.  I don't like taking money for my "habit" out of the family budget, but I usually get a little overtime each month and use part of that to support my habit.

And when the overtimes not available, I drool, alot.

The overtime has been drying up a little here lately, and forced me to give up my $150/month shotgun habit.  I had been shooting with my boss in a competitive league.  I hope that wasn't a bad career move.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#9]
This is a good question...I am running into that problem..The money I was saving for my next buy is now going to a lawyer to fight for my 3/4 pension.
So we will see just has long has I have enough ammo money for the next Long Island Shoot.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I work some off duty details..Thats my mad $$$$$
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife used to make good money before we had the kid so purchases came much more frequently.  I like the kid more than the guns so thats all good.  Now I try to take up side jobs.  But what I should do is get a job that pays me for the work I do :)
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, my budget is peanuts. I save about $20.00 a week for firearms and accessories. I did do an extra job on the side for 4 weekends recently that gave me a little wad. I put most of my guns on layaway after I save half of it up and pay it off over 3 months.

If I could quite smoking I could save a pile of dough.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I work hard each day, and currently do not have a wife or girlfriend to suck up my cash.  Also, firearms and firearms accessories are always on my Christmas and Birthday lists!  Got a new Aimpoint last year for Christmas!
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#14]
In my household income is not an issue.  I could afford any gun I want.

The controlling factor is how much can I buy without the wife raising hell.  "Why do you NEED another $1600 M1A?".  "Why do you NEED 150 AR mags?".  "Why do you NEED 5000 rounds of ammo?" etc, etc.

We have been married for 30 years so I'm not going to get rid of her.  My challenge is to get what I want without her really knowing how much I spend.  She thinks I spend about 5K a year where I really spend about 15K.

Sometimes I think I would gladly rather have the challenges of not having enough money instead of the challenge of keeping peace in the household.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:57:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I buy loading components in Bulk from Pat McDonald,and stuff cases on the Dillon all winter long when it's too bleedin' cold to shoot(And loose brass!)anyway!

I also work a job that pays well,and we get hammered with lots and lots of OT wether we like it or not.

When I'm jonesin for a new toy I shop the Shotgun news and gun list,and Guns America and do the dealer transfer thing to my old shop.

I usually burn 3-500 rounds of ammo a month free thanks to the job,so that helps,but it isn't the same as just relaxing and shooting on your own for fun.

Reloading is the biggest cost saving component.

Good luck with the "Fix"!

Keep safe!
S-28

Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#16]
How do I make extra $$$ for my gun habbit?
Why being a PIMP ofcourse,there just isnt anyother way! LOL

More here in my member profile LOL
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
How do I make extra $$$ for my gun habbit?
Why being a PIMP ofcourse,there just isnt anyother way! LOL www.ar15.com/members/albums/M4%5FAiming%5Fat%5FU%2FHIZOES%5Finda%5FHIZOUSE%2EJPG

More here in my member profile LOL

M4_Aiming_at_U,

So is there an AR15.com member discount??? LOL

Actually, I don't know how I manage.... I just do....  

oh wait.... PLASTIC..... bad, yes, but .....
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I build and fix computers as a side job.  Word-of-mouth brings me plenty of business.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 12:59:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 5:49:33 AM EDT
[#20]
how do i pay for it........??

simple, kiss ass for 50 plus years & get to be #1 in some rich persons will, that seems to work for me......
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 5:58:02 AM EDT
[#21]
  OK, I'll 'fess up. I've been selling plasma for about a year and a half now which amounts to roughly $180.00 per month. I also pigeon hole money by cutting down or skipping lunch and whatever else I can put back without disturbing the peace in my household.
  My wife also doesn't understand why I want "more" guns. So,in addition to slipping an occasional firearm into a dark corner of the closet or vault where I work, I'm also faced with the challenge of keeping the plasma thing secret.
  There is no way I would've been able to get the two LEGP's otherwise, not to mention a few other's I just couldn't live without.
  Of course there is also the "secret" credit card hidden with my "pigeon hole" money.
  Talk about living on the edge!

slider  

Oh, there is also a local dealer here with 6 month layaway who will take whatever monthly payment you can give. He also has been known to go up to a year on layaway if necessary.            
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 6:35:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Easy!

I got the EX married off to someone else, real fast.

Ate macaroni & cheese until the kids turned 18.

Suddenly! Had all this extra money that I could spend on myself!
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 6:43:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
  OK, I'll 'fess up. I've been selling plasma for about a year and a half now which amounts to roughly $180.00 per month. I also pigeon hole money by cutting down or skipping lunch and whatever else I can put back without disturbing the peace in my household.
  My wife also doesn't understand why I want "more" guns. So,in addition to slipping an occasional firearm into a dark corner of the closet or vault where I work, I'm also faced with the challenge of keeping the plasma thing secret.
  There is no way I would've been able to get the two LEGP's otherwise, not to mention a few other's I just couldn't live without.
  Of course there is also the "secret" credit card hidden with my "pigeon hole" money.
  Talk about living on the edge!

So what do you need to donate your plasma? Do they just take a pint of blood or something and hand you a check?
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#24]
M4,
 First, your veins are checked to make they are suitable then you are given physical. Pretty basic, blood & urine test, etc. You must have resident address.
 Your whole blood is taken, plasma separated from it, then your red blood cells are put back in. You're allowed to donate plasma no more than twice weekly. You are paid in cash and they have it set up on a monthly "step" program to give you incentive to make every visit. Where I go, you're paid $15 for the first visit of the week, then $20 for the second. It's this way ($15 & $20)for the first two weeks, then on the third week (#5 & #6 visits) it's $25 & $25. The 7th time that month is $30. After that, it starts back at the beginning. This can vary slightly depending on number of days in particular month, but it works the same.
 Oh, every time before you donate, you are "screened". It's almost like that silly ATF form with all the yes & no questions, but this is about aids, drugs, etc. Finger stick blood test for iron level & antibody count, temperature, pulse rate & blood pressure.
 I hope this helps. Like I said, the extra money helps & your are helping others. Plasma is used for all kinds of things.

slider        
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Dont get married or have kids
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Dont get married or have kids

Amen, brother!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I'm on the take and people like FrankSquid pay me "protection" money

Last I checked the Fulton Fish Market was in the 1st pct and that would preclude a 5th pct guy from protecting anything.. :)
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 2:16:51 AM EDT
[#28]
I work for General Motors and build Caddy Escalades and Suburbans. The overtime has just started again and we will be working 9hrs a day and 2 Saturdays a month. Maybe I can get that 308 semi auto battle rifle this year as long as gas prices stay low. OT is what floats my gun boat.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Ebay is full of dumb asses that will pay a premium for any kind of junk. I buy all kinds of bargain bin crap at gunshows and put it on ebay at twice the price. It has been a good supplement for my firearms spending habit.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I sell my body to the night!
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#31]
No kids seems to work for me, also a frugal wife who occasionally likes to spoil me because we don't have kids.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I sell my body to the night!

BWAHAHA!!!!!

My solution is to marry a good woman and do your best to convince her that besides essentials (mortgage, car payment, food, ect), all money not spent on firearms, ammo, range fees, and shooting accessories is WASTED MONEY.

"The kids won't give a shit that we got new drapes 20 years from now, honey. They will thank us, however, if we buy two new rifles for them instead of blowing it on drapes."
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:09:20 PM EDT
[#33]
i work a lot of overtime,plus i am cheap , i drive a ford ranger that is payed for.
plus every payday(every 2 weeks) i put back 40 to 60 bucks.
i try to pay cash for all my toys,

i am putting one child through college, have one more that is going to start next yr. and one 13yr old.  they get treated pretty well. i feel like i can spend some money on myself
Waltr
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Here is how I am collecting...

GI Bill pays for school...

Employer tuition reimbursment goes into gun safe..he he...

Sweet...
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I second the EBAY thing.I get alot of fun money that way also.The next way I get alot of toys is buying cheap guns and holding onto them untill I can find somone who really needs them.This really works during the Summer when Deer rifles and Turkey Guns are cheap.Ever try to find a deal on either one before season starts?Guys will pay almost anything for a 30/30 or 870 Express a couple days before season.I just bought a 10/22 home I had on Lay-A-Way.Paid 125.00 for it.Its stainless,has a Butler Creek folder and a 30rd Ramline clip.I put it in a Walnut stock I had put back and the Folder will sell for about 50.00 the clip will make me another 30 or so.So figure out what I have in my 10/22.I did the same thing awile back with my newestAR.Had a Southpaw Upper on it when I bought it.Put the Upper on ebay and bought a used upper on here for 265.00.Now Ive got another AR for around 500.00 invested.Also find what your local Dealers like.I have one shop close by that the owner really like Remington 700S and will pay a mint for used ones.Another dealer in a town close by lets his 700S go pretty cheap.Ill buy from the one and Trade with the other when he has what I want.I funny to see how it all washes out somtimes.Ill somtimes trade for weeks before I finally end up with what I want.Somtimes I have more fun tradin then I do actually gettin what Ive been after.Well thats what works for me.Dont forget you can also mention what nice heirlooms your son will have somday if your wife is balkin about your next purchase.LOL.It works somtimes REALLY!
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#37]
I just got Tweet into my hobby. Now it's just a matter of telling her what I want and she figures out where the money comes from.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 5:25:45 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I went straight to the source. I got a second job with a gun manufacturer. I have not gotten a pay check (from the second job) in six months of working. Thank good my wife has a good job.

Hmm... Payment in guns then???

:)
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 6:43:33 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
.The money I was saving for my next buy is now going to a lawyer ...

So @ least there's one happy ending to the story.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top