Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2002 7:13:12 AM EDT
Rifle is 1 year old Bushmaster 20" A2.  After reading the trigger threads here I ordered a single stage trigger from Accuracy Speaks.  Had a local gunsmith install it, so I didn't mess it up...

Load five rounds of Federal AE 55 grain in the magazine, squeeze trigger, and whoa !!  That did not just happen !!  Did I do that ??  Everything seems OK, squeeze trigger again, same result.

What is wrong here ??  I'm going to call the gunsmith today, but want to be informed when I do.  Could they have done something wrong ??(assuming the trigger is good to start with)

Another question.  Would the standard trigger/safety function check have shown a problem ?  (I'll try later...)

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:49:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Clean all the sear and disconnecter engagement surfaces with lighter fluid.  Nice and dry, no oil.

Concentrate on holding the trigger back when you tough one off (squeeze hard) then listen for the disconnecter as you release.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:00:04 AM EDT
[#2]
How light is the trigger pull?  The disconnector adjustment (if it has one) may need adjusting.

Very light trigger pulls may cause a double fire, especially if you don't grip the rifle tight which helps control the recoil.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Update looks like this:

Took the hammer and trigger/disconnector out to look at them and read the directions from the trigger manufacturer.  I could have done this myself (and I know how the AR trigger works now, after being around them for 20 years)!!

The directions say twice to place lube at the sear, so that could be the problem.  Also, the upper surface of the trigger and sear are as smooth as glass.

I would guess the trigger pull to be about half of the stock trigger, but don't know for sure.

And, this setup does fail the function check of squeezing the trigger, cocking the hammer back, then slowly releasing the trigger.  The sear and hammer only catch about once every 10-12 times.  This check is in the directions for installing the trigger, so I'll be asking the gunsmith about that....

Thanks for the input guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top