Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2002 10:07:01 PM EDT
I did a search but didn't find quite the info I am looking for, although I did learn some things

There's a gun store near me that has a Garand advertised for $550. I think I'm going to go look it over this week. What things should I look for? I know the obvious things like crakcs in the stock and rust, but what else should I keep an eye out for? Also, is $550 too much to spend on one? I know I might get one cheaper through the CMP but I'd rather pay a little more and get it sooner as long as I'm not getting really ripped off.
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, for 550, it is probably an old parts kit put on a new receiver.  Big 5 Sporting goods has them.  I think Century Arms puts them together (don't quote me).

Look at the barrel (inside.)  If you can, lock the bolt back, and check the barrel w/ a bore light.  Look at over condition of the parts (finish).  Sometimes they put new gas blocks (if I have my terms right).  Cosmetic stuff really isn't important (unless you want a looker), but the internals are more important.  Granted, they probably won't let you take it down to look at the gas system.

I can't think of anything more...too late..
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with Kaliburz, it's probably a Century receiver with USGI parts.  Before you get your heart set on it, check these two sites:

www.jouster.com

www.fulton-armory.com

Also, at the Fulton site, check out this page:

www.fulton-armory.com/CAI-TI.htm

Some people here have said they've gotten good results with the new receivers, but $500 will get you a Springfield Garand from the CMP, and you'll have plenty left over to buy some enblocs.  

Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:01:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 7:19:12 AM EDT
[#4]
All excellent advise.  

FYI on CMP, they are backlogged at least 3 months on orders, long wait periods for all makers with the exception of SA's. Maybe a longer wait, but certainly the way to go. They aren't pretty, but good shooters.

CMP has SG spec's...TE under 5, MW under 3.

No matter who/where you get the rifle, pls have it checked for headspace, timing, TE and MW.  A good M1 smith will do this for a nominal charge.  

I have my own tools and have seen the good and bad and ugly the last three years (CMP and private).

Link Posted: 7/28/2002 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for all the info
the store has a pic of it on their site, I should have time on tuesday to drive out there and look it over and ask them questions about it
www.niagaragunrange.com/springfieldarmory.htm
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#7]
My advice would be this for a first time M1 buyer....

UNLESS you've been researching this purchase for over a year (several years actually), or have a fairly knowledge M1 afficionado to go with you to inspect the M1, OR ARE BUYING FROM A CLOSE AND TRUSTED FRIEND.....

....DON'T BUY FROM ANYONE BUT CMP.

Sure there's a wait, but its worth it.

I could go on for a couple of paragraps as to specifics to look for, but to keep it short, follow the advice above.

Link Posted: 7/28/2002 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ordered my Service Grade Springfield M1 Garand on 5/3/02...still waiting.

Have you called them yet?  Maybe you could find out what the hold up is.

Hope it gets there soon, Wave.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 4:18:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's what CMP does to inspect a rifle:

www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/inspect.htm

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 4:48:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Have you called them yet? Maybe you could find out what the hold up is.

90 to 120 days from the date that they process your order in. I ordered a Dane Springfield with Var barrel at about the same time as Waverunner. I called the other day to inquire on its status and was told my order was logged in as received on 5-7-02 and to expect it to be shipped 90 to 120 days from that date. Glad I bought my other one when it was only about a 30-day turnaround.

According to what Orest Michaels has posted over on Culver's page, they won't be shipping any Danes for another 2 to 3 weeks. Supposedly rack grade rifles are shipping slightly faster.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 6:37:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#12]

If you have more money than patience (like I did before I got married ), pick one up from Orion 7. www.m1garandrifle.com/

You will not be sorry.

Cheers,
Chris

p.s. here is my Orion 7 1945 Springfield.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top