Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2002 12:35:56 PM EDT
With all the hype (and rightly so) this is the hottest rimfire out there. It would seem with .22, 9mm 40 & 45 cal conversion, that someone would consider making a dedicated .17 upper. This would be a perfect combo of speed, economy, and shooting w/o hearing protection, plus the ability to shoot accurately out 175 plus yards.

KKF can you do this, or have you consider the conversion.

Also consider this, ALOT of people have ARs that's a given, that caliber of rifle has been on back order for months, so there defiantly a demand.

What Say U
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I was on one of the rimfire sites the other day, and for as much buzz as there is about the .17, it seems that manufacturers are having a tough time making a semi that is reliable, safe and still economical. But once they do I'm buying one!
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I understand your idea, but the biggest thing it has against it is the cost of those little MoFo's. I can shoot 5.56 for cheaper.

I've never shot the .17 but I would think hearing protection would still be required.

This is all my GUESS.

The .17 has roughly twice the powder charge then a .22lr, which for me would be enough to want to wear ear protection.

Also, the .17 would break the sound barrier, so that adds to the overall DB's as well.

So you know were I'm going with this.

Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you think the .17 would zing through soft body armor?
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:05:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:07:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that a "yes"
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I got a Ruger 77/17 the day they hit the shelves.  I'll try to answer some of the questions I have seen so far.

Ear pro?  I did not use ear pro while shooting diggers, but I probably should have.  Not that it is so loud, but it stings a little.

I concur that you can shoot .223/5.56 much cheaper than you can .17 HMR.  Right now, the cheapest I have found has been $9.99 for 50 rounds.  And that was in Oregon which is still a fairly pro gun state ( except of course in the southern valley where the hippies migrated to ).  In CA, the cheapest I have found is $11.99 up to $13.99 per box.  Have not found a way to buy in bulk that is any more economical than buying it by the box.

Soft body armor??  I'll try it out. But I doubt it. Almost all of the energy is gone within the first inch (+/-) of penetration on soft body tissue.  

It does a number on ground critters and is very enjoyable to shoot.  I like the idea of an AR.17 upper, especially since the round looks like a shrunken down version of the .223  

With enough demand, who knows?? Hell, I'll buy one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top