Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2002 10:38:04 AM EDT

I took my uncle's Officer Model Colt 1911-A1 .45 ACP Single Stack semi-automatic pistol up to my grandma's farm and put some magazines of 230 grain FMJ ammo through it. I must readily admit I've rarely fired a pistol and the only pistol I've fired has been a .45 1911-A1.

The ammo we used was: 230 grain CCI/Speer Blazer aluminum case non-reloadable FMJ and the real deal- Olin-Mathieson Winchester US Navy issue 230 grain "pistol ball" FMJ (the genuine military issue stuff!).

Sights:  The 1911-A1 I shot has regular combat blade sights. These sights are meant to stop a man at 25 yards not to hit  a small circle. I did have trouble with using the sights. I need more practice.  

Trigger: The trigger is a bit stiff. You really have to "load it up". If you don't squeeze the trigger with this gun you won't hit anything. Jerking doesn't cut it. Maybe it needs a new trigger but I don't know.

The .45 ACP is my favorite pistol load-period! Overall, the 1911-A1 is the best pistol in the world in my opinion. Yes,I have looked at and seen shot other guns. But the 1911 design is the best. John Browning was more than a genius.

CRC
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#1]
If its an original pistol I would not change the trigger group, just enjoy it for what it is.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If its an original pistol I would not change the trigger group, just enjoy it for what it is.

Agreed.
I don't think you should alter an original 1911.
The 1911 is good to enjoy as a design of yesteryear, and should be kept as such IMO

(And I don't care if the Top Secret Ultra Elite Ninja Alpha Commando Force uses them either.
The 1911 is what it is- Outdated)
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I must readily admit I've rarely fired a pistol and the only pistol I've fired has been a .45 1911-A1.
-----
  The .45 ACP is my favorite pistol load-period! Overall, the 1911-A1 is the best pistol in the world in my opinion. Yes,I have looked at and seen shot other guns. But the 1911 design is the best. John Browning was more than a genius.

CRC

Well, before you declare the 1911-A1 the "best pistol in the world" maybe you ought to try expanding your horizons a bit.  Maybe explore the world of Glocks, Sigs, and Berettas.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 11:48:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.
I don't think you should alter an original 1911.
The 1911 is good to enjoy as a design of yesteryear, and should be kept as such IMO

(And I don't care if the Top Secret Ultra Elite Ninja Alpha Commando Force uses them either.
The 1911 is what it is- Outdated)

But so is the AK, M1, M1A, M14, and some would say the AR15/M16.

So what... the 1911 is reliable, an exceedingly simple design, and extremely customizable...

There's 1 major problem with the M1911, and that is... .45ACP is expen$ive! (so I went out and got a second gun that shoots .22LR (Ruger 22/45))...
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#5]

I took my uncle's Officer Model Colt 1911-A1 .45 ACP Single Stack semi-automatic pistol up to my grandma's farm and put some magazines of 230 grain FMJ ammo through it.

Actually if it is a Colt officer's model I wouldn't shoot it at all. They are worth quite a bit of $$.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Somebody get McUzi started on a 10mm rant again. It's been a while since I've heard how much the 1911 sucks and how God himself carries a Glock 10mm when Lucifer is hanging around.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#7]
He, he, he. I haven't heard that rant in a while either.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#8]
At least my M1911A1s don't explode in my hand when using cast bullets or blast half the slide into my cheek with hot loads.

I've got a 1943 Union Switch & Signal M1911A1 that looks like it's been dragged around the world more than a few times over the last 60 years and it still shoots great and functions 100%. I'll be impressed with a Tupperware wonder gun when I've seen it do that.

Now my SIGs. They're nice, but not really much of an improvement over the M1911A1. Outdated? Nah....
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a 1944 Remington Rand M1911A1 that's still going strong.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Actually if it is a Colt officer's model I wouldn't shoot it at all. They are worth quite a bit of $$.

=============================================

aaaah..., mind describing what one looks lyke ?

i bought mine from a WWII Army pilot, it was nearly new when i got it 25 years ago, he said it was "...never fired more than 20 or 30 times..." i give him $85 for it then......
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#11]
This pic sucks but it is the best I could find.

I would assume Officer's models would refer to the General Officer's Pistols. I don't know of any other "Officer's models" that were issued.

However, I have been known to be mistaken.

Bluebook list a 100% Officer's Pistol at $2000.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted: "At least my M1911A1s don't explode in my hand when using cast bullets or blast half the slide into my cheek with hot loads."

Not entirely true.  I was with my dad at the range when his prized Colt Series 70 Gold cup blew up!  What happened was the new, factory load blew back the slide so hard, that a crack formed on the bolt face, and the pressure from the load forced all of the remaining bullets in the magazine to blow out the bottom.  The slide was jammed in the open position and had to be struck with a mallet in order to close.

Sadly, that gun is now just a coffe table conversation piece.

I spoke with a 1911 gun smith named Terry Tussey, who has had articles written about him in various magazines.  He used to to work here in Orange, CA, but he moved to NV.  He said that he's seen several Colt 1911's and clones crack in the same manner.

With your comment about "hot loads"....The loads used in the .45 were factory 185gr +P's.  Hardly a "hot load" as the Beretta 92F series used a "proof" load, which is like a ++++P load, not commercially available to civilians.  Plus, that slide incident you mention, (I'm guessing you're refering to the Berettas) only occurred during testing of the weapon for the Army and it was only with one slide where the failure occurred.  Any gun loaded with "rocket" fuel (proof loads) will eventually fail after numerous rounds.

No gun is made to last FOREVER.   Eventually, everything dies, breaks and erodes!
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#13]
455SD,

thank you !

no, mine is just another Colt .45 ACP

a pretty one wyth walnut grips & dang near new when i got it.....
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's my Grandfather's.  He carried it during WWII.  Left it to me when he died.  I don't shoot it often, just a few rounds now and then when I feel a little nostalgic.  I wish I appreciated what he had seen during the war more when he was alive.  I was too young to understand what he would be bringing to his grave.  All I've got left now is his Colt, some German badges, and a bunch of pictures of him in Germany during the war.

Link Posted: 7/24/2002 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
455SD,

thank you !

no, mine is just another Colt .45 ACP

a pretty one wyth walnut grips & dang near new when i got it.....

I wouldn't be too upset about that, my uncle has a Colt 1911 series that he bought in the late sixties and he recently had it appraised at around $800.....
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Somebody get McUzi started on a 10mm rant again. It's been a while since I've heard how much the 1911 sucks and how God himself carries a Glock 10mm when Lucifer is hanging around.

McUzi, can you please explain to me the advantages and benefits of the 10mm? Pros and Cons too, please.

hehe, think that will start it?
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#17]
The advantages of the 10mm is that it is a lot more powerfull. The disadvantages are that it is a lot more powerfull.

The 10mm is really close to a 41 magnum. It's sort of an in-betweener, less than a .44 but more than a .357.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#18]
The old 1911/1911a1's are a diffrent breed.. My first 1911 is a 1944 vintage Colt I earned working minimum wage.. The only changes are a chromimum lined barrel, and a trigger job to lighten the pull a bit..It's not a racegun, and it's not pretty.. It's a tool, and a damn good one.

Meplat-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top