Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2002 11:15:50 AM EDT
I have an original SAR-1 Ser # 2000-xxxx that I bought last year.   Its a real SAR, not a goofy conversion from a single-stacker.  I've spent way too much money "embellishing" it:
  • KA-VAR plastic US stock - $100
  • Kobra sight - $120
  • Sandblast & parkerized - $125
  • plus extra mags and goodies...
So I've got over $700 spent on this sucker.  It looks cool and it's fun to shoot, but I'd be happier if it would keep an under 3" group!

I don't collect guns, I keep them only as long as I like to shoot them.  I'm starting to LOVE AR15's, I've got a Bushy and I'm 3/4 of the way through building a new one.  And I want to add a second upper to the Bushy, and install a nice trigger in it.  I could easily see more AR's in the future.  I just love 'em!!!

Anyway, I see my AK in the closet and wonder if its worth keeping.  I hate having to keep a separate ammo stash for it.  I envision having a closet full of AR's, and having one nice big stash of 5.56 NATO; I'd like to be able to get rid of the 7.63x39.

And if the SHTF or TEOTWAWKI happened, I'd grab the Bushy.

So should I sell the AK?  There are two big gun shows coming up in August (Fayatteville and Raleigh) and I'm thinking of walking around the shows with a for sale sign on the AK.

What do you think?  How much do you think I should get for it?
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd personally keep it.  You probably won't get what you put into it back out of it IMHO, and if the SHTF, there'll be plenty of 7.62x39 around (just in case).  

(EDITED TO ADD)

I'll take it off your hands for about $350, if you're dead set on selling it, though
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Since even with everything you've done to it, you might be able to realize about $450 if you sell it (and are patient), I'd say keep it.

I picked up a 2002 model SAR-1 yesterday NIB for $299 at a gunshow. The finish is nice and even, sights are accurate, very nice wood, with good figure and matching between stock and handguards, with a nice finish.  Crisp 5# trigger pull, too.

It looks like the days are gone when the SAR's absolutely needed work, which is going to make it tough on folks who put a lot of money into earlier ones, especially if they stay at the $299 price.

Of course, I am looking for a SAR-2 to give the full AK-74 treatment

Link Posted: 7/22/2002 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think anyone ever gets back what they put into a gun.  Firearms can hold their value well, but I'd never buy one thinking I'd get all my money back if I sold it.

[Hmm, come to think of it, I built an FAL once and got all my money back.  And I own a CZ PCR which, now that its been discontinued, will prolly grow in value... so I guess I take that back.]

MOST OF THE TIME you don't get your money back.  And hey, AK's are still pretty cheap, so I'd be crazy to think some one would pay $650 for it.  I was thinking more $450-500.

Anyhow, my sons keep telling me that I should keep it.  "You'll be sorry!" they say.  I was only ever sorry I sold 2 guns: my first Colt Sporter H-BAR, and a nice Browning Buckmark.  I've since made up  for the Colt, and one day I'll get another Buckmark.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Definately keep it.  I don't shoot my AK's that much anymore either, but I still enjoy them from time to time.  Just put the SAR1 back for bumping purposes.  The 7.62x39 is the king of bumping.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:I have an original SAR-1 Ser # 2000-xxxx that I bought last year.   Its a real SAR, not a goofy conversion from a single-stacker.  I've spent way too much money "embellishing" it...(snip)

Sell it.  But part it out, you will never get all of your money out of it if you sell it as a package.  

Life is too short to have money tied up in crappy guns, and after you get past the "gee, whiz" factor of having an evil, un-PC AK, you realize it is a crappy gun, first and foremost, with almost no redeeming factors to be enjoyed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Put it in the closet, post it on gunbroker.com, then wait until it sells. You will get about $500 at best. Pre-bans with all the evil features have a hard time hitting $1000.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Never sell guns.

The only firearms you are allowed to sell are:

1. Smith and Wesson
2. Ruger
3. Hesse, ASA, et al.
4. Hi-Point
5. Lorcin, Jennings, Bryco, et al.
6. Chauchat
7. SA-80

Just set it up so it's zeroed and all that, CLP it, then stick it deep in your safe/closet/whatever with four cases of 7.62x39 and forget about it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 2:30:49 PM EDT
[#8]
You won't get any more than $450 - $500 selling it outright on a trader board or auction.  You could part the Kobra and the K-Var stock set and maybe get close to what you have in them.  That would free up some cash for your AR projects.  Having done that, IIWM, I would hang on to the SAR and whatever ammo and mags, because you are out the cost of the refinishing.  At a gun show you would be competing with the $299 guns, and it would be hard to get $350 / $375 or more with tables of $299 SARs all about.  In the closet, it is not costing you, and you may rekindle the love affair later, or you could sell it in the hysteria after the next terrorist attack. If you do take a shine to it again, Kobras and polymer stocks you can always get again.  

If you consider parting out the stock set and Kobra, I know a guy who might be interested, depending on the model of Kobra and the type of stock.  When you decide, e-mail me.

Noah
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Carbine,

Howz that Kobra sight?

Are they really as good as the ads say?

Inquiring minds want to know.....
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 2:47:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmm.  Running 5 to keep vs. 2 to sell.

Life is too short to have money tied up in crappy guns, and after you get past the "gee, whiz" factor of having an evil, un-PC AK, you realize it is a crappy gun, first and foremost, with almost no redeeming factors to be enjoyed.

I understand and sympathize, but this sounds dangerously close to AR vs. AK.

In the closet, it is not costing you, and you may rekindle the love affair later, or you could sell it in the hysteria after the next terrorist attack.

Now you're talking.  I like the post-terrorist-attack hysteria part.  I can see where I can use it for an extra gun at fun shoots.

As for parting it out, I'd rather hang on to it than go through all that hassle.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Keep it - just so you won't be one of the
AR-15 snobs who hang here.

Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I say yes, sell your AK47.....

......And get yourself an AK74.

Seriously. Have you shot a 5.45 AK yet? Last fall I had an SAR1 sitting in my closet that was getting no range time thanks to my obsession with my AR's. I then got the chance to shoot an SAR2. I realized immediately that I had to sell my SAR1 and get a 5.45 AK.

The 5.45 AK's are alot more fun to shoot, and are also more accurate. One of the reasons I hated my SAR1 was because it shot like hell. My Romanian (not an SAR2 though) 5.45 on the other hand is suprisingly accurate. Not as accurate as my AR's. But much more accurate than any 7.62X39 AK I've owned.

Now I can't imagine not owning my AK, and it makes a nice compliment to my AR's.

Like it has been stated, you won't get what you've got into it, out of it. BUT you can use some of that stuff on a 5.45 AK.

Just a thought. Might be a good idea to try and get a chance to shoot one, that way you'll be able to make up your mind first.

If you don't go that route, just keep it.

Hope this helps!

Link Posted: 7/22/2002 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#13]
3" is more than acceptable combat accuracy however I read on the other side that there is a possibility of improving on this by having the rifle recrowned by a competent smith.  There was a claim of MOA accuracy but not sure about that.  At any rate it might be a cheap improvement.  That and a redstar trigger could produce a tack driver AK.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I am in the same boat.. I don't shoot my AK much anymore. I have a Kobra sight I used once, have the box and accy's.

If anyone is interested I will take $100 for it.
Email me for any more details.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have an original SAR-1 Ser # 2000-xxxx that I bought last year.   Its a real SAR, not a goofy conversion from a single-stacker.  I've spent way too much money "embellishing" it:
  • KA-VAR plastic US stock - $100
  • Kobra sight - $120
  • Sandblast & parkerized - $125
  • plus extra mags and goodies...
So I've got over $700 spent on this sucker.  It looks cool and it's fun to shoot, but I'd be happier if it would keep an under 3" group!

I don't collect guns, I keep them only as long as I like to shoot them.  I'm starting to LOVE AR15's, I've got a Bushy and I'm 3/4 of the way through building a new one.  And I want to add a second upper to the Bushy, and install a nice trigger in it.  I could easily see more AR's in the future.  I just love 'em!!!

Anyway, I see my AK in the closet and wonder if its worth keeping.  I hate having to keep a separate ammo stash for it.  I envision having a closet full of AR's, and having one nice big stash of 5.56 NATO; I'd like to be able to get rid of the 7.63x39.

And if the SHTF or TEOTWAWKI happened, I'd grab the Bushy.

So should I sell the AK?  There are two big gun shows coming up in August (Fayatteville and Raleigh) and I'm thinking of walking around the shows with a for sale sign on the AK.

What do you think?  How much do you think I should get for it?

If you feel that bad about it, trade it in for an AK-103 from AK-USA www.ak-103 or go talk to Marc Krebs. Keep the SAR-1, you won't get your money back out of it. Otherwise, sell it and get an AK-103 or 101. The AK-101 is .223, so that will keep you in line with your AR collection.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Carbine,
Howz that Kobra sight?  Are they really as good as the ads say?  Inquiring minds want to know.....

The Kobra sight is excellent for the money.  You can't change the dot size, but brightness is adjustable.  Works like a heads-up display, very easy to use.  Locks very nicely on the side rail.  The only downer is the user manual, which is a poor Russian-to-English translation.  I was pulling my hair out trying to get the windage and elevation figured out from their goofy/comical description!
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
 The only downer is the user manual, which is a poor Russian-to-English translation.  I was pulling my hair out trying to get the windage and elevation figured out from their goofy/comical description!

My buddy 'Chilli Dog' had a similar problem.  Good instructions are available on the web that shows how to properly adjust the course and fine adjustments on the sighe.  IIRC they are at Tantal.com - 'Cammpy Bob' knows the place and I'm sure he could post the address if I've spelled it wrong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top