Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2002 9:26:04 AM EDT
Did a search and could not find anything, hope this has'nt been posted.

Sitting in a waiting room yesterday reading a Popular Machanics July 2002 addition, on page 24 they had an article about the SFs new addition to the M4 1A.  Made by Knights called SR47.  Looks like a M16 with a AK mag.  Supposed to shoot dual calb. ammo??  Reasoning was that when chasing fleeing forces you could pick up left behind mags from AK 47s and use them if you ran out of 223 (I think thats what they were tring to say).  

Any way it looked kind of odd to say the least.

Any one heard of this or maybe some with a copy could post a pic.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#1]
This topic was actually posted a while back. The SR47 prototype was a dedicated Russian 7.62 cal shooter that used AK mags; operating design appeared to be standard AR. It had a flat top & RAS fore-end rail, KAC flip-up sights, etc. A lot of buzz surrounded it. Supposedly, specops/specwar wanted something w/ more punch at longer ranges, & Knight's produced the SR47 as a potential solution.

I'd like to see the PM article myself, because it must have been wrong about the "dual caliber" capability. How can an autoloader fire both 5.56 & 7.62 from the same upper, using the same bbl? Seems a physical impossibility.

The recent skuttlebut I've heard is that a new 6.8 mm, rebated rim cartridge is being considered for the current AR platform, since it allows the current upper to be used, requiring only a new bbl. (& possibly a few other internals) + mags.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The recent skuttlebut I've heard is that a new 6.8 mm, rebated rim cartridge is being considered for the current AR platform, ....

I heard that too... read it in the latest issue of Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement. I believe it was requested because SpecOps guys were rather disappointed by the dismal performance of the 5.56mm from their new SPR precision rifles.

Link Posted: 7/22/2002 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#3]

According to:
www.calssportingarmory.com/Knights%20Mfg.htm

"Introduced at the 2002 Shot Show in Las Vegas. The SR-47 is based on the SR-15 design, but it chambered in 7.62 x 39mm. The SR-47 accepts all double stack AK-47 style magazines, and has a free-floated barrel. This unit also offer drop-free magazine release. This unit will be available in a limited quantities commercial version (possibly less sound suppressor) by the third quarter of this year. Optional front and rear sights will be available also."

"March 14th, 2002 - Knight's has cancelled production of the commercial version of this unit at this time. We will update this item if we receive new information."
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Thats the same pic that was in the artical.

The "dual caliber" part had someting to do with extending the bolt, bolt carrier and firing pin.

I am definatly no expert but tat just didn't seem possible.

Anyway, thinks for the info guys!
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top