Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2002 3:03:46 PM EDT
I have a buddy who is looking to buy his first AR. He asked me what the difference is between a stainless-steel and regular chrome-lined steel bbl. I wasn't completely sure, but I knew you guys would give me all the info he needs to decide.

In my experience, as long as your bbl/chamber are chrome-lined, you're good to go. Is accurracy any better with a SS bbl? What are the pros and cons of each?

Thnaks!
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have a buddy who is looking to buy his first AR. He asked me what the difference is between a stainless-steel and regular chrome-lined steel bbl. I wasn't completely sure, but I knew you guys would give me all the info he needs to decide.

In my experience, as long as your bbl/chamber are chrome-lined, you're good to go. Is accurracy any better with a SS bbl? What are the pros and cons of each?

Thnaks!

SS is generally accepted to be a little more accurate and will require a break-in period and more maintenance.

The chrome-lined will be a little less accurate but require little break-in and less maintenance.

For just regular plinking around, hauling through the woods, falling into rivers and crawling through snake infested culverts I would get the chrome.
The SS looks good when you take it in and out of your bag at the range - and will be a little more accurate.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  That's pretty much what I told him, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.  Told my friend to come over here and ask some questions before he makes his purchase, but he seems to be scared of you nice people!  I don't know why--I've gotten more good advice and knowledge from this board than I could ever hope for.  You guys are great!
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Chrome lined will most likely be 5.56 NATO chambered.

While a Stainless Steel will be .223 Remington.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#4]
KEEP IN MIND!
If the rifle is going to be used as a defensive
weapon, a SS barrel might as well have a sign
hanging off of it that says "I'M OVER HERE,
SOOT ME". If it's going to be used as a "sporting rifle" or plinker, then you can't go
wrong either way.

Personally, a SS barrel on a military type weapon
has always struck me as odd looking.
I'm just happy to here about someone getting
their first AR! Please tell me he's not looking
at ASA (American Spirit Arms) rifles!
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
KEEP IN MIND!
SOOT ME". If it's going to be used as a "sporting rifle" or plinker, then you can't go
wrong either way.

Haha.  Nope.  He seems sold on Armalite.  I told him to check out Bushmaster for a post-ban rig, but he seems stuck on Armalite.  He doesn't do as much research before selecting as he should, but oh well.  Thanks for the advice on the bbls.

FWIW, all my ARs have chrome lined steel bbls.  I'm happy with them.  The accurracy is just fine.  Hell, not even my Stoner SR-25 has a SS bbl.  I agree, I don't see the purpose on a military weapon.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a stainless barrelled M4gery.........it has a blackened barrel. Looks like a "regular" barrel.

I think that there may be wear issues if a high sustained rate of fire is maintained with an SS barrel as opposed to a chrome barrel IIRC
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
He seems sold on Armalite.  I told him to check out Bushmaster for a post-ban rig, but he seems stuck on Armalite.  He doesn't do as much research before selecting as he should, but oh well.  Thanks for the advice on the bbls.

For someone who doesn't do much research, he chose the best.  Apparently an intelligent friend.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually I've seen pictures of a couple a SPR's and they are built with stainless match barrels(Douglas,Krieger,ect).Some were painted camo,some were not.

I wonder if you were to build one,I guess you could have the barrel beadblasted on the outside to reduce glare and reflection?Ya think?
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

He seems sold on Armalite.    

Your friend is obviously a man of great intellect and high character !

Just remember to tell him, the 'AR' in AR-15 stands for ArmaLite !!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I have used Oly SS bbls for years, and they are just fine.  Theirs are "black oxide" coated, and this, too, has held up just fine.

I have fired several full 30 rnd mags, rapid fire, with no problems.  Accuracy is good, and I use military ammo mostly, with NO problems there either.

What I DON'T haved is rust.  Where I live, unless weapons are either stainless, teflon coated, or heavily oiled, they will rust before your eyes outdoors due to high humidity nearly year round.

I buy nothing but stainless, and have no regrets.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#11]
If he has the money, tell him to go for the T model.  Once you shoot the T, everything else is second best.

Hawaii
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 11:31:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think that there may be wear issues if a high sustained rate of fire is maintained with an SS barrel as opposed to a chrome barrel IIRC

I have heard interesting theories that the chrome will start to detach under high rate of fire, over time, exposing bare metal.

SS is said to not have this problem, but of course has others.

I hope to learn more about this over time.

mark
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 11:34:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
KEEP IN MIND!
wrong either way.

Aggreed, I like the chrome barrel, for everything except competition.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top