Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2002 1:54:46 AM EDT
havent shot it yet. been fondling it for a week. its only my second revolver and im damn excited to hold it everyday.

.44 mag, 10" bbl, satin stainless finish.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:05:48 AM EDT
[#1]
My first revolver was a Super Blackhawk. Great gun. But with that 10' barrell, I would have to have a forearm. Just kidding, it probably will be one hell of an accurate pistol.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:15:23 AM EDT
[#2]
One good looking deer pistol. A buddy of mine sports the same weapon during deer season. Has some really nice racks to prove how effective he is with it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:34:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:57:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 3:08:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice Pistol!
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:22:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I LOVE Ruger revolvers.  My personal favorite is my GP100.  Don't know why I like them so much, but I do.  Congrats on getting a very fine looking firearm.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 8:09:01 AM EDT
[#7]
My brother has a Super Blackhawk. The only problem we had with it was when we loaded up some .44 magnums to 1560 fps. after we shot a box of them and went to eject the spent cases the ejector rod broke off. Under closer examination the screw that holds the ejector on broke off. We took the pistol to the local gunsmith and he said it was a common occurance in Ruger Blackhawks if you shot alot of highly loaded magnums. The gunsmith said hes had it happen to him a couple of times with his Rugers. The gunsmith had to bore out the broken off screw and put the ejector back on. Other than that they are a very nice pistol
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 8:46:54 AM EDT
[#8]
How much did you pay. I'm in the market for one just like it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey , nice pistol. Glad you didn't get one of their POS 10/22 or MkII 22 pistols. God , I hate working on those junkers .
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hey , nice pistol. Glad you didn't get one of their POS 10/22 or MkII 22 pistols. God , I hate working on those junkers .

Glad to see I'm not the only one who HATES those cheap-made jokes.  I used to always trade for MKII's hoping to find one that worked... gave up on that years back.

Redray, nice lookin' .44...
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm surprised to see people speak poorly of the 10/22 or the markII pistol. Most people I know have great luck with them, myself included.

I bought my son a 10/22 years ago and lately we've been continually shooting it to see how many rounds it will take before it starts shooting bad or jamming. At 2000 it still hasn't had any problems. this gun is probably the best 22 semi-auto rifle on the market for the money.

Redray, thats one nice looking super Blackhawk. I'd like one myself but with around a 5 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

<snip>I bought my son a 10/22 years ago...<snip>

You answered your own question... New production just ain't what it used to be...

I had a MKII in '80 that I put over 50,000+ rounds through.  One of the best handguns I'd ever owned... foolishly traded it away on a newer MKII.  And I've had 5 more after that, traded them all off... junk.

But Redray's revolver is a sweet shooter...
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
How much did you pay. I'm in the market for one just like it.

$490 with tax.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#15]
CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!
Here is a pic of my 7" SBH. I orginally installed mother-of-pearl grips on it to replace the stock drab-lookinig wood grips. The MOP grips had the red ruger emblem embedded in each side of the grip panel. I tell ya; those grips looked really nice against the stainless finish. Although I once did get some ribbing at a range from some old-timers who said they were "pussy-grips". I could never find bone grips for it.
Personally, I prefer the look of the SA cowboy grip but, the thing would tear up my bottom palm after about 12 rounds. I had to install these ugly, DA type, Pachmayr grips. I could not find a pic of it with the other grips.
The SBH has been a excellent whitetail and Hog sidearm.
Redray,
It is a great handgun. I hope you enjoy yours. BTW: I don't recommend a shoulder rig! (unless your like 7 feet tall)

I had a leatherman in Justin TX make me this custom holster rig. The cartidge loops go in and out of the ply, not sewn loops like the cheapies. Looks sweet, ey?

For kix, I included my Mark II because they were mentioned in the thread. Also, IMO, a excellent (and extremely accurate) pistol. It amazing the groups I can shoot free hand with CCI green tags. Too bad ruger can't seem to make a decent center-file bolt rifle or DA autoloader pistol.

And here is the pre-ban 10/22 "AW" I'm on the second barrel for it. I have probably put over 100,000 rnds through it. It still shoots like a dream. BTW: this was my second rifle.
To me, these are three of Ruger's finest machines. I'm more of a Colt guy when it comes to revolvers. I wish a had a Python or even  Trooper .357.

Link Posted: 7/20/2002 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Nice gun, a guy I shoot with has several that are similar-once you get used to it I think the grip is better for 44 than the more modern  grips since it lets the pistol sort of roll back in your hand.

Aimless...nice penguin.  Does that have anything to do with Linux or are you just a penguin lover?  Just curious, I'm a Linux fan myself.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice Super Blackhawk. I've sent a few deer to their final reward with one just like that with a Sierra 300 gr jsp.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#18]
That's a great deer pistol, or silhouette if you add a scope.  I'm in the market for a stainless Bisley Vaquero in 4-5/8 or 5-1/2, either 44 Mag or 45 LC; haven't made up my mind on the chambering yet.  It will be the Bisley grip, though.  It is just too comfortable!

Enjoy!

Noah
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Hey Redray!, I shoot the exact same pistol! You'll want to change the grips like someone else said, Or It'll roll in your hands & bash Your middle finger with the back of the square trigger guard. As for the ejector screw, Yes they might break from heavy loads. I got Mine years ago and have shot it a lot, When My ejector screw broke I tried(Foolishly) to get it out Myself and ruined the barrel. I sent it back to Ruger and it was replaced for FREE! I also like the 10/22's and MKII's and own several, Many with tens of thousands of rounds through them. Enjoy Your toy!

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Damn! Sporting a woody just looking at it!
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The Ruger or the penguin?
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#23]
A friend of mine uses that exact gun to hunt hogs with great success.
You absolutley can't blow them up either.
You can load them up to the nutz, and they won't blow.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:19:20 PM EDT
[#24]
The MK II and 10/22 junk? What non-parallel universe are you in?

The 10/22 is without a doubt one of the nicest .22 rifles made. Toss in the fact that ther are hi-cap mags avalibe for it and there it is.

The MK II is a major pain in the ass to take-down and re-assemble until you learn the tricks, one involves a little filing here and there.

Both require a little trial and error to figure out what will feed and what will produce the best accuracy.

My MK II loves the cheap wally world / gun show ammo and feeds target quality ammo with better accuracy than I can muster on my own.

My 10/22 loves cheap wally world / gun show ammo and is very picky about what target quality ammo it feeds. if I use the stock Ruger 10 round mag then it really dosen't care about the ammo.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Ruger or the penguin?

The penguin, of course! Thems good punani!
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice gun!  I have the Super Blackhawk myself with the 8" bbl and in the blue finish.  I find factory ammo to be too anemic (and too dang expensive).  I shoot mostly handloded rounds of 24.0gr of Winchester 296 under a Speer 240gr JSP bullet.  What a handful!
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#27]
redray - Nice .44!  I've always thought the single action Ruger's were solid weapons.

Quoted:

I bought my Mk II in my junior year of high school, 1981.

I can't even attempt to count how many rounds I put through it, but it's still going strong and functioning great.

I've had alot of guns come and go since then, but I'll never let this one go.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Nice gun!  I have the Super Blackhawk myself with the 8" bbl and in the blue finish.  I find factory ammo to be too anemic (and too dang expensive).  I shoot mostly handloded rounds of 24.0gr of Winchester 296 under a Speer 240gr JSP bullet.  What a handful!

Ahh yes the old 240 grn bullet in front of 24 grns of 296 at 1430 fps. Thats a good load. If you go up to 25 grns of 296 you'll get 1560 fps. Thats what my brother and I did with his blackhawk. After a box of those his ejector rod broke off from the recoil.
If you drop down to a 180 grn bullet you can get 1837 fps with 28.4 grns of vihti vuori N110. Ruger revolvers should be able to take anything you put through them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top