Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2002 11:42:35 AM EDT
Anybody know where I can get a decent, but cheap cleaning kit for an AR?

Thanks,

Cody
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster sells basically a GI kit for about 10 bucks on their site.
Also try www.cheaperthandirt.com

Also, give Walmart a try.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#2]
You will need to spend around $30 for a piece kit.

Start off with a solid one piece rod, add a few bronze bushes, a patch jig, a pack of 22cal patches, a AR-15 chamber brush, a Can of BreakfreeCLP, an AR type tooth brush and a can/bottle of barrel solvent to clean the copper out of the barrel.
As for rags, I pick up a box of painter rags that I can throw away when I am finished. Currently, I have been using the paper type, but like the white cotton type better.

P.S. The buttstock cleaning kit is ok for a while, but the rod sections bend if you do a lot of pushing instead of pulling. On the section type rod, you need to load from the muzzle, then pull the rig/brush/patch threw. With the solid rod, you can just push from the chamber with out worrying about the section lips scratching the rifling.  As for the copper solvent, only use it on the barrel, the rest of the rifle clean with the CLP.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I use FP-10 instead of breakfree.. it's a little bit thicker and easier to work with.. plus it sorta has a cinnamon smell
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I use old socks and tee-shirts for rags.  I used to use them for waxing my car, but now I don't drive, so I use them to clean my guns!  When they get too dirty, just throw them in the wash and you're good to go again.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Also, I got all my cleaning equipment (including coated rod, brushes, bore snakes, etc.) from Brownell's online.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top