Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2002 9:11:59 AM EDT
After several hundred rounds of breaking in my 16" upper over 3 different trips to the range, I realized the extraction problems were only occuring with S. African PMP ammo.  I really love the rifle and it shoots perfectly (no sight adj. neccesary) right out of the box.  I owe you an apology for prior posts complaining about extraction problems.[>(]

It's my new favorite rifle!

Link Posted: 7/18/2002 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The South African PMP works fine in all my Colts.  I had the same problem with my DPMS and a friend of mine had the same problem with his Bushmaster.  Luckily that day I had also taken Winchester Q3131 with me and that worked.  What really burned my friend was that  Bushmaster had highly recommended the South African PMP.  It is not as hot a round as the Winchester and others.  Enjoy your DPMS.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I had the same problem with a case of South African PMP in my Wilson, (everyone assumed it was the rifle - including me) but when I started handing out boxes at the range, everyone had problems with it in theirs, including Colts, Bushys and even in a Mini-14.  I believe there was just a bad lot, but I will never buy the stuff again.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, guys!
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with PMP problems.  My bushy has never had that problem, but I'll probably never use PMP ammo again if I have to think twice about it.  Luckily, I just ordered some fresh stuff from Ammoman!
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I have put literally thousands of SA PMP through two different Bushmasters w/o a single problem. Same with Guatamalan.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:05:23 PM EDT
[#5]
My DPMS does not like the PMP either. It is also very picky about magazines. It will only work with 2 of the 6 USGI mags that I bought!...Maybe I got a lemon.  --Tim
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I might be wrong, but I believe DPMS are SAMMI chambered not  Nato spec. perhaps this has something to do with it. Tighter chamber.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 6:07:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I might be wrong, but I believe DPMS are SAMMI chambered not  Nato spec. perhaps this has something to do with it. Tighter chamber.

I emailed DPMS on this.  Reply was "We use NATO 5.56, M16 chamber specs".  It was probably the ammo lot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top