Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2002 10:05:36 AM EDT
I have shot smaller bore bolt-action rifles for a while and am interested learning to compete in local Service Rifle Competitions.  I have a few questions you guys may be able to answer. I'm a FL resident if any laws apply.  
1.  I am very interested in an M4 or AR type, so how do I go about acquiring one?
2.  Can a FFL dealer obtain one just like any rifle, or do I need a special permit or certification?(I was under the impression automatic rifles were not legal)
3.  Any other legalities regarding obtaining and owning such a firearm?

Thanks a lot for your help
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#1]
1. I am very interested in an M4 or AR type, so how do I go about acquiring one? Find one at a local dealer or on the internet. If you find one on the internet, you must have it sent to a local dealer who will transfer it to you.
2. Can a FFL dealer obtain one just like any rifle, or do I need a special permit or certification?(I was under the impression automatic rifles were not legal.)AR-15's are semi-automatic. M16's are automatic. Any FFL dealer in a legal state can get an AR-15 for you. An M-16 must be sold through a Class 3 dealer.
3. Any other legalities regarding obtaining and owning such a firearm? Not that I can see. I do not know Florida law, but I do know that AR-15's are legal. Don't know about Class 3 weapons though.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Open the yellow pages, look for a gun store, and stop in.  Chances are they'll have an AR in there somewhere.  If you're interested in shooting service rifle, don't get an M4.  You'll need a standard 20 inch barrel with a carry handle.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:34:43 AM EDT
[#3]
ESWANSON gave you good advice...that is, you need an upper with the standard 20" barrel and carry handle (A2 sights are most common).

Your questions are based around a common misperception...especially by most liberal anti-gunners (NOT saying you are one).  That misconception is that an AR, AK, etc. type rifle is any different from a semi-auto hunting rifle such as a Remington .308.  Think about the semi-auto .30-06 used in WWII!!!  Most people see the "black rifle" and think "it's a machine gun."  Well, it's a gun, and it's a machine.  But it's semi-auto, not full-auto.

So, if you can purchase Ruger 10/22's in Florida (you can) then you can buy an AR (we'll leave the other "pre-ban/post-ban" issues for other topics...go read the "Legal" forum).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top