Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2002 8:07:33 PM EDT
Sorry guys, I'm just anxious to get an answer.  I would like to get back on it tomorrow.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=132515
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I used one briefly on .223 a few months ago.

I set it up to just put a noticeable double ring around the case mouth at the bullet junction.  You can visually tell that it crimped without deforming the brass much.

I don't use it anymore.  It just seemed redundant.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:39:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I use it on 45 ACP. When I set it up I put in a factory round and screwed the die down on it. Snuged it up and then reloaded some. They were perfect. I like the die because it sizes the 200 grain cast rounds at the end. I get good accuracy and the brass is holding up. As for AR 15's, got me!
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 6:17:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I use the .223 factory crimp die on my Dillon XL650.  I set it in the last station.  I always set everything up with a test cartridge (no powder or primer).  I run the cartridge through all the stages, adjusting each until it is right.  I always start with too little (too little seating, too little crimping) and then I adjust each down individually until it's perfect.

With the crimp die, I position the case (with seated bullet) at the top of the stroke and screw the crimp die down until it touches and gives some resistance.  Then I back the press down a bit and adjust the die a little bit, then run the press to the top, again.  I keep doing this until I get the crimp I like.  I usually go for a medium crimp, where the crimp lines in the case are visible, but not enough that it really caused a deep impression.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top