Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2002 4:34:49 PM EDT
How is Wolf ammo, especialy in pistol calibers?

Doggonit (SIG LOVE)
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#2]

There are a lot of "Parrots" here.

I've shot many, many thousands of rounds of Wolf 9mm ammo out of an OLY 9mm upper without so much as a single problem.
I shoot it in my 7.62X39 AR upper, it's never seen anything else. And have started using it in .223 for blasting ammo.

The only downside I have encountered is that it is very dirty in all calibers.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#4]
It's terrible stuff and you should ship all you have to me for proper diposal

big
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#5]
yeah its dirty but its cheap and
it is accurate. i am shooting dirt
and paper so i dont need to dump
20.00 to 40.00 extra bucks into
brass when i leave it in the dirt anyway. i do have a couple cases of
winchester white box for special
occasions, like a new gun. but wolf
works good for plinking and for my wallet.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Beretta 9mm that is about 12 years old. It (and I) love Wolf ammo for poking holes in paper. My pistol has digested close to 20 thousand rounds of Wolf (not to mention another 10 thousand rounds of Federal +P+ and other fun stuff) and I JUST had it apart in June for a tune up. All new springs and wait just a sec. . . nope, no new firing pin! Pin and extractor still in great shape.

In response to Juggernaut (Who hasn't said weather or not he's had a bad personal experience with Wolf or if he's just spewing forth some rumors he has heard.) -->

1. No noticeable lacquer build up. (I usually fire about 400 rounds an outing and then obviously field strip and clean her up so she's purdy.)

2. Steel vs. Brass? Take a look at an empty brass shell. Can you tell where the extractor slid past and then grabbed the case? I can't. . .

If I had to nit-pick. . . Wolf stinks, as in "has a funky odor" and I do notice some red goo around the firing pin from Wolf's primers. But it does clean up.

Check with Ammoman.com for some and see what you think of it yourself. My 9mm is my first line of defense (easy to take to work, easy to hide under the Sun Times if the doorbell rings unexpected, and easy to hide so as not to scare a legitimate caller) I personally wouldn't risk ruining it.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 7/14/2002 10:51:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Personally I would take a sharp stick in the eye before I used Wolf ammo again. Their 9mm blew up my Broomhandle Mauser. Like the others say, buy some real ammo.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 11:57:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, wolf ammo will work...if you like putting shit in your fine expensive guns.

Yeah, go ahead and fill your nice car up with Mexican gasoline too.  It will work but eventually it will screw up your machine.

Wolf ammo is kind of like masturbation.  Yeah it's good and fun in the beginning...but in the end, you're just screwing yourself.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 3:19:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I will just pull out an old quote:

Quoted:
Statistics:
I sell 10 cases of Wolf to one case of everything else.
I get one case back out of 1000 cases shipped.It almost never comes back.
I guess you guys that badmouth Wolf are the vocal minority.I might also add, Wolf is the reason the other ammo stays cheap.
Badmouth it all you want, while most guys save money and Wolf gets rich.
GOD BLESS AMERICA.
Eric the ammoman

I think this says a lot, oh yeah I shoot Wolf all the time and it works great.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:35:58 AM EDT
[#10]
The Wolf stuff has always performed pretty well for me in all my weapons, but the pistol ammo is just way to dirty for me anymore.  For about a buck more a box I can get much better ammo to shoot out of my pistol.

My friend's Bushy M4 and Taurus PT40 does not like Wolf ammo at all. He gets extraction problmes frequently when using Wolf.  Not sure why, cause my Bushy will eat it all day.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:39:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I've had nothing but problems with Wolf in my Glock.  Extremely dirty and there tends to be several bad rounds per box.  There is other cheap ammo out there without the problems.  Blazer is pretty good, it's just not reloadable.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 7:48:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I've shot thousands of rounds of Wolf 9MM through a Beretta 92FS and a Taurus PT-92 with no problems.  I've shot over 100 rounds as fast as I could pull the trigger and swap 30rnd magazines with no problems with lacquer left behind, even though the slide and barrel were hot.  If you can afford to take a chance and shoot enough that Wolf will save you money, go for it.  If you can't risk needing to seriously clean your gun or replace an extractor, stay away from it.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I've used the Wolf 9mm and .45acp.  No failures or problems through several handguns.

It's not the best stuff, it's kind of stinky and dirty, but for plinking ammo it's fine.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:39:59 AM EDT
[#14]
A buddy used some .223 in his T/C,after a few rounds he had trouble extracting the case and actually had to use a cleaning rod to pop out the last case he fired.It's diry.It's steel.It's coated with varnish.I asked Bushmaster about using it in my Bushy. They said"it's your gun,use what you want"!!So I didn't.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:46:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I got a Wolf 223 case stuck good in a Carbon 15 AR.  I have not had any trouble with my Colt ARs with the stuff.  I bought 1000 rounds of the 223 and have shot up about 2/3s of it.  When it is gone, I will buy no more.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#16]
WOLF AMMO
Good: Cheap, $55 1000rds at a gunshow,if you have a beltfed weapon fired away.

Bad: Burns dirty, inaccurate,

The military has used it because it is so cheap. I've seen it for $1.35box 25rds
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#17]
My 9mm Glocks (19 & 26) have eaten nothing but Wolf from the day I brought them home from the gun shop.  (Except a handful Gold Dots to ensure function with defensive ammo.)  Never a failure to feed out of a factory mag, never a failure to fire, never a failure to eject.  I've gone through more than a few cases of the stuff.

Personally, I don't use the .223 stuff in my AR, mostly because my dealer said he wouldn't honor the warranty if I did...
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#18]
My AR went through wolf fine, my USP .45 didn't like more then 2 or 3 rounds of it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I can't speak to the pistol caliber ammo, but I can vouch for their 5.56.

I built a beater weapon from beater parts (worn out left-overs) on a beater (cast Oly) receiver with a beater barrel (butchered shot out post-ban converted to pre-ban by wopping off the bayonet lug and threads / recrowned with a drill and set-screw mounted Smith muzzle brake).  

I decided to feed it only crap and shoot it until it died (kB or otherwise.  I also vowed to record all range condtions, stoppages, repairs, and shots fired.

Well, after spending 103 rounds working out all of the kinks (polished the chamber, added a new disconnector, ejector spring, extractor and extractor spring) it simply ticked away for another 2,053 rounds.  

At the 2,156 round mark it was printing 4.25" groups at 100 yards.  Not bad for an AR and exceptional for a Mini-14 or AK.

Needless to say, it was abused but reliable.  So, I sold it through the newpaper.

What I noted about the Wolf ammo follows:

1 - Wolf ammo is dirty.

2 - Wolf ammo is cheap.

3 - Wolf ammo "MIGHT" have eaten my used and abused extractor, or the extracor may have been defective from the start.  The fact that I cycled 2,053 rounds without a hitch after replacing the original used one may prove this.

4 - Wolf ammo caused me to chew through a few chamber brushes.  The laquer does build up, but good maintenance helps.

and

5 - Wolf ammo isn't that accurate, but it's good plinking fodder.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh well bak to good ol' trusty Czech made Sellier and Bellot ammo. At least that is quality stuff (oh yes it is). The greek Olympic stuff is also supposed to be good. Oh well... Ammo=Biggest cost in owning guns. A good gun can last 100,000 rds. with a single good barrel and still be great but the ammo is gonna kill you before then. Well, depends. 1000 rds. Sellier and Bellot 9mm FMJ from Ammoman is about 136 dollars times ten. *Gulp* Equals 1360 dollars. So unless you actually use a gun that costs more than that your ammo costs will be greater than the gun cost.

SIG out, (yeah baby)

Doggonit (SIG LOVE)
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#21]
My own personal experience:

AR .223 55gr. - Not bad ammo. Consistent firing and extraction from my Bushy M4 14.5" upper. Kind of dirty and smells funny (ammonia) but it was cheap and I'd buy it again if I was short on money. I must say that I prefer brass case and that is what I mostly shoot now because it shoots cleaner. But I have no qualms about Wolf .223

.45ACP is an entirely different story. I'll preface by saying that it is possible that I just had a bad lot or something.

I bought a 500 round brick. A full 10% of the ammo failed to go BANG! in my Glock 30/Glock 21. These are reliable guns that never had a hiccup prior to using this ammo. Out of the 450 that did go bang they were very inconsistent. Some threw the cases 10 feet clear. Some couldn't even clear the chanber and would stovepipe. It seemed like the only thing my Wolf .45 was good for was practicing immediate action drills and failure to fire exercises. And it was really dirty to shoot on top of all that. I decided to never buy Wolf pistol ammo again. Seems like while the .223 is pretty cheap... the .45 was not very much cheaper than other quality ammo so I vowed to pay a little more for good ammo.

My $0.02 your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
 The manual that comes with all of our CAV-15 rifles, advises the owner that use of South African or Russian steel case ammo (Wolf) voids the warranty...

I am curious to what kind of testing you guys did that made you feel that using the ammo should void a warranty? Did you guys have guns showing excessive wear, or parts breakage due to using this ammo? Any info you coudl share would be helpful.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#24]
They probably didn't, due to the comment in the manual.

If a manufacture says no to something, you could only assume they have their reasons.

Maybe out of 50 rifles, they didn't like the results.

I doubt it's a political reason, probably a functional result.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I DON'T CARE WHAT ANY OF YOU GUYS SAY, I AIN'T GONNA BUY ANY COMMIE CRAP!

SNIPER1AZ
OUT
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I can only say that it shoots just fine,But it is the mother of all mothers when it comes to cleaning your piece.   Really dirty stuff, so I don't mind spending a little more time cleaning,as is offset by the price.  

Bob
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#27]
You know, the ammo would normally come in a cardboard box but just because some clever people took cheap surplus ammo and designed a neat looking printed box with wolf on it and named it after a wolf doesn't change the lousy low bid Russian surplus ammo they put in it.

If it was called "Sheep" ammo, would you still buy it?
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 11:58:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I have used Wolf 7.62x39 with no problems at all.  As for Sellier & Bellot, I had a catastrophic failure using their .45 caliber.  KABOOM!  The .45 blew apart in my hand. Luckily, I did not get hurt and it was not my gun.  I'll never buy their ammo!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top