Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2002 11:51:32 AM EDT
i am the proud father of a new IMBEL FAL.  i was thinking about mounting a scope using the receiver mount from TAPCO.
whatch think?  is it even worth it to scope this rifle? i already have a unertl and a redfield variable to mount if neccessary.
also, anyone ever use the receiver cover scope mount from TAPCO??
thanks.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
i am the proud father of a new IMBEL FAL.  i was thinking about mounting a scope using the receiver mount from TAPCO.
whatch think?  is it even worth it to scope this rifle? i already have a unertl and a redfield variable to mount if neccessary.
also, anyone ever use the receiver cover scope mount from TAPCO??
thanks.

I just got one of these WAC QD Pro mounts. It is very nice and works well. Here is the link:
www.usarmament.com/welcome.htm.

Is your Imbel one of the ones from IAI? Where did you get it. I am interested in adding one of these to my collection.

Gary
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Is your Imbel one of the ones from IAI? Where did you get it. I am interested in adding one of these to my collection.

Gary

yes, unfortunately, it has been at my gun shop for a while, and no one can seem to remember where they got it.
they wanted 750.00 for it, but on a whim i showed them a SOG ad, and wanted to see if they'd deal (didn't seem to care thatthe SOG ones were crap receivers and they had in IMBEL)
scored a sweet rifle for 475.00!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Heck yeah. Have GGG scope mount with Aimpoint on my FAL. Like it a lot.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the DSA mount on my DSA FAL. Good mount, about as sturdy as a screw on mount is going to get.

While the FAL is not sniper rifle accurate, it can benefit from a mid-power optic if you are at range - I use an ELCAN.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got an ARMS #3, and one of the Williams Arms QDPRO mounts.  I'll tell you, they both fit on nice and tight.  The ARMS is steel (I believe) and the WAC is machined aluminum.  The WAC looks much nicer.  I haven't mounted any optics on them yet, but they're both supposed to hold tight, and have EXCELLENT RTZ capabilities.  One thing:  On the ARMS mount, you HAVE to remove it to get the bolt carrier out.  With the WAC one, you don't.

ARMS #3 source
They were having a sale a while back on the #3, for like $70.00 or so, but that's over now.  It's back up to $135.00.

Williams Arms/US Armament QD PRO source
US Armament is closing out the Williams Arms mounts for $40.00, and selling THEIRS (the same thing, just labelled differently, I think) for $79.95.

As far as what optics to put on it, I'm still up in the air.  I'll probably just end up shoving a red dot on it, and living with that.  Accuracy is good enough on these rifles with just the irons.  But a red dot would be pretty cool.

Just my $.02

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd put an inexpensive fixed-power on it.  For shooting at 100 yards 4X is probably plenty.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Jarhead_22 told me the Elcan was designed for the FAL.  Thought about those??
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Jarhead_22 told me the Elcan was designed for the FAL.  Thought about those??

hmm, never heard that, makes sense though.
i was looking at one of those trilux sights as well, but would want to actually use one before making the investment.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Before you buy a US Armament/Williams Arms Company mount read bout them on the FalFiles and decide if they are the type of people you want to deal with. Dwight Williams put a lot of peoples lives on the line with a untested product that started having KB's (receivers not scope mounts), and then started taking the money and running. Now US Armaments pops up and has all the same cast members as WAC did, but they are just playing different roles. Buyer beware.

Kyle
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Leupold 2.5X with heavy plex crosshair.Very
good match for the rifle's capabilities.
DSA's mount is best out of TAPCO/ARMS/WAC
as it is very rigid and fixed in place.It
does not depend on length to fix in place,
but rather uses over-engineered mounting plates.
Frankly,after spending money on lesser brands and being disappointed almost every time, I've come to believe DSA's products are the best even
tho they are higher priced.You get what you
pay for.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I believe ELCAN has a .308 version.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:42:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I bought the TAPCO mount. It is a Leapers (chinese). They say the 8 screw DSA mount is much better than the 4 screw Leapers. Mine works its way loose sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Before you buy a US Armament/Williams Arms Company mount read bout them on the FalFiles and decide if they are the type of people you want to deal with. Dwight Williams put a lot of peoples lives on the line with a untested product that started having KB's (receivers not scope mounts), and then started taking the money and running. Now US Armaments pops up and has all the same cast members as WAC did, but they are just playing different roles. Buyer beware.

Kyle

Yep.  I had to do some research, and see if I could bring myself to purchase one of these mounts from them.  It _seems_ that they (US Armament) are trying to make the whole aluminim FAL receiver fiasco right, by offering a replacement steel one, once they get some made.  Granted, you'll have to send in your old receiver, pay a fee, and get a new one.  I don't know how I feel about the having to pay a fee part, but at least it looks like they're trying to make it right.  So I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Just as a side note, I tried to order from their website twice, and got errors both times.  So I ordered on the phone, and told them about the website orders that didn't work.  The lady said that she'd definately keep an eye out for them, cancel them if they went thru, and refund my money.  Know what?  They went thru, and she did.  

Wiggins is correct though.  Go check out falfiles.com for yourself, read the saga, and make an informed decision.

They are great looking mounts, I must say.

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:19:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:47:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Another option, a used Israeli S.U.I.T., if you can mount it:

Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#16]
My FAL wears a lovely full size ACOG dressed ina  .308 recticle... Great Scope, Great Rifle, Great Package...

As for the Williams debacle, I too tried to order one, after asking questions about the cast of characters. I got no negative feedback on them, so I tried. He (Bryan) said email him my info and "he would take care of it (the deal)". 2 weeks later no package and now He says she says she tried to email me. She is Lisa of the great Williams con scam. Then he goes on the falfiles and accused me (although not by name) saying things I didnt say. Since he opened a flame fest, I joined. WAC mount thread

The only things missing from this deal are Paul Podhorn and smart money......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top