Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2002 9:50:17 PM EDT
The other day I posted that my new 700VS (.308) was scoring 1.5MOA @100m. I meant to mention, but forgot, that this was offhand shooting, not bench. I feel there is no accuracy problem with the rifle and could very easily perform sub-MOA bench shooting.
I was also using Federal 150gr SP, not by any means a match grade bullet. The only reason I bought these instead of something better is because I was just sighting it in and didn't want to spend $27.00/box for plinking ammo.
So to those of you who were arguing about my range performance, I hope this clarifies the situation and to those who gave ammo suggestions thanks.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:54:24 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The other day I posted that my new 700VS (.308) was scoring 1.5MOA @100m. I meant to mention, but forgot, that this was offhand shooting, not bench. I feel there is no accuracy problem with the rifle and could very easily perform sub-MOA bench shooting.
I was also using Federal 150gr SP, not by any means a match grade bullet. The only reason I bought these instead of something better is because I was just sighting it in and didn't want to spend $27.00/box for plinking ammo.
So to those of you who were arguing about my range performance, I hope this clarifies the situation and to those who gave ammo suggestions thanks.

Yeah but whats wrong with the rifle that is making it shoot 1.5" groups Ehehehhe
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 4:22:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I was never in any doubt about your range time. It sounded to me as though you were just putting some rounds down range, not some serious target session. All of a sudden all of these roundheads jump in and try to read things that aren't there and psychoanalyze things.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:49:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah,
I kinda' figgered as much.  BTW that's really nice for offhand.  Have fun man,
R
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I didn't think anyone was "psychoanalyzing" things...just trying to offer helpful and friendly advice.  If it had been stated he was shooting off-hand things would have been different.

Most people when they go to the range shoot from the bench...ESPECIALLY when they are looking at how accurate the rifle is.  His post was "WOW, this is the most accurate rifle in my collection."  Therefore, it is reasonable that everyone assumed he was benchrest shooting.

As for my posts, I was not trying to knock him or his rifle at all...just trying to be helpful.  If it was read incorrectly, then I think it was the fault of the reader and not the writer.  FWIW...I am sorry if I offended anyone as there was no intention of doing so.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:08:05 PM EDT
[#5]
My Rem. 700 VSSF is a tack driver in .223!
Regular Mil Spec 55 grain spreads out a little at 100 yards..about 1 3/4 inches Benchrested..which I believe is probably the best it'll perform.

But Black Hills 60 gain Speer Point remans will group under 1 inch when I do my part.

Accuracy is very dependent on ammo. So what else is new!

I agree..the Rem 700's are superb!
The new Jewell trigger I recently installed makes it even better...with a much lighter trigger pull.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top