Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2002 5:35:50 PM EDT
I am considering buying this conversion and was wondering if any one had some comments on it Pro or con. Also I was told you can modify UZI mags to function in it . How is this done??

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am considering buying this conversion and was wondering if any one had some comments on it Pro or con. Also I was told you can modify UZI mags to function in it . How is this done??

Oly conversions use sten mags which are cheap, but a bitch to load. If you want to buy some I will seel you 15 cheap.

The ASA is crappy from what i have heard.
Colt is the best, but you pay for it.

Rock river amrms are supposed to be high quality, that is who I am going to use.

All three of the above use colt mags or modified uzi mags. You have to cut the mag catch on the uzi mags and elongate the "dip" for lack of a better term on the rear of the magazine. DO a search and you will find how to do it.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#2]
The Olympic conversions don't use the Uzi or colt mags.  You just have to get a mag block (by SOCOM for about $62), then you can buy the Sten mags for about $4 each.  I did this since it is the cheapest way to go, and it has been extremely reliable.  I love shooting it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 5:40:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Here are some other threads I found for you using the search function.
I'm getting one soon as well.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=128818

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=124888

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=108261

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=83412
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 5:48:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:07:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a conversion from Dalphon, who advertise in Gun List. It works very well, good accuracy and functioning. They sell the mags for about $60 dollars apiece(three years ago). They are converted sten mags. Here's the kicker. The sten mags have a piece of .875 tubing welded to them to act as a spacer, and are fitted to function. About a $4.oo mag and $.35 worth of tubing. Someone with a wire welder and the mags can make them fairly easily. (they also require one small hole for the mag catch to be machined in the tubing).
But, the unit functions very well, and except for the finish, I can recommend it highly.
The sten mags will load fairly easily if you follow the instructions.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:09:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The Olympic conversions don't use the Uzi or colt mags.  You just have to get a mag block (by SOCOM for about $62), then you can buy the Sten mags for about $4 each.  I did this since it is the cheapest way to go, and it has been extremely reliable.  I love shooting it.

Would you bet your life on that rig?  I'd like to set a good 9mm up, and Sten mags are a lot more affordable than the Colt mags.

QS
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:17:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I own an Olympic Arms 9mm upper for my AR-15. I love it. It shoots very accurate and I use the modified sten mags. These in my opinion are the best option. Olympic arms makes a modified sten mag loader know it costs around $15, or if you are  creative you can make your own sten mag loader for these modified mags.

For the olympic arms upper you have a few options for Sten mags.

1. Use modified sten mags from olympic arms
  A. You can either purchase them from olympic arms at the price of $65 a piece.
  B. Or you can send them your own sten mags and have them modify them for a fee of $25 apiece.

2. You could buy some Sten mags from tapco.com for a good price. They have been haveing a deal on sten mags I think the deal I got was 10 sten mags for $20 + shipping and handling and I got a green pack to carry them in.
  A. Upon purchaseing your sten mags, for $65 you can purchase a Socom Block from Socom MFG.
  B. Just like was mentioned above you could alway just modify your own mags useing a wire feed welder, I suppose useing some epoxy type weld glue for steel might work also. Tubular steel is not that expensive,I think a 2 foot piece of 7/8 inch steel will run you 3-4 bucks.  

There was some legal questions concerning the modified sten mags. I personally called Olympic arms and the ATF and asked about these mags.

Olympic arms assured me that the mags are perfectly legal, and the ATF said to me that the mags were perfectly legal.

3. Another option is you can buy a mag block from olympic arms that allows you to use pistol mags. You can send you mags to olympic arms for them to drill a hole in them that will allow your mags to be used with there pistol mag block. What is good about this is that you can use your pistol mags in your pistol and your AR.

You might want to check out olympic arms web site and varify what pistol mags they will modify. I think they modify Beretta mags, and glock mags.

I like the olympic arms set up. I have put through my upper around 1000 rounds so far, and have had no problems.

I personlly like the modified sten mags. I dont have to fiddle with the handle on the SOCOM block, and I dont have to worry about hitting the regular mag release on my AR and dropping the socom block and mags. The modified sten mags I have work very well, they function just like a regualr magazine in an AR.

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:33:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Do those Oly conversions lock the bolt open on the last shot?
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:33:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would you bet your life on that rig?  I'd like to set a good 9mm up, and Sten mags are a lot more affordable than the Colt mags.

QS

I would bet my life on it!  The only thing you have to do is test your Sten mags with the ammo you want to use, and make sure they run reliably.  Out of the 4 that I have cleaned, only one doesn't work well.  I still have 8 more mags to clean and test.

As far as holding the bolt back on the last shot, the only system that does that is the Colt system with Colt mags.  The modified Uzi mags don't hold back either with the Colt system.  I figure that since the AKs don't and the MP5s don't, that it's OK if my Oly system doesn't.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:50:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:46:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I love my Oly .40 S&W pistol caliber upper.

Never jams.

Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:17:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Olympic Arms was the first manufacturer to create ANY pistol caliber uppers.

They have the most flexibility with 3 different mag systems that can be used for 9mm...

There are a lot of Oly 9mm rifles out there in semi and full auto.  They work well.

mark
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:49:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I know that the Olympic uppers don't hold the bolt open on the last round with Sten mags, but...

The Olympic 9mm Simunitions uppers do hold the bolt open when used with the clear plastic 9mm sims magazine (no block needed). Does this feature extend to the other uppers? Would they hold open with the right magazine?
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:57:08 AM EDT
[#15]
hey drfcolt, i would be very interested in a setup like that.   Where did you get that upper? I've never heard of a talon upper.  Also, where did you get the various things for the lower, ie crossfire and colt parts?  

That is a sweet gun, must be alot of fun to shoot.... (obso)
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 6:15:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't know if Class III is an option for you, but I shot a friend's Gemtech integrally suppressed 9mm upper, and it was damn near a religious experience. I was shooting pepper poppers with it from about 15 yards, and all I could hear was the cycling of the bolt and the "ping" off the steel.

Oh, and he had it mounted on an M16 lower, so I was putting 3-4 round bursts through it. Very sweet.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The Olympic 9mm Simunitions uppers do hold the bolt open when used with the clear plastic 9mm sims magazine (no block needed). Does this feature extend to the other uppers? Would they hold open with the right magazine?

I have not tried it, but I expect they would, based upon looking at them.

mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top