Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2002 2:38:07 PM EDT
Does anyone have a recommendation on where to have finish work done? Wilson Combat, ??

I got a RRA lower and BM upper.  The BM has more of a gloss matte finish RRA matte finish
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd take a serious look at Mac's Shootin' Iron Restorations www.shootiniron.com.

Mac's web site does not do justice to the work that he does. Gunkote is his finish of choice. I'd recommend the standard black if you are trying to replicate a non-Colt/ non-grey AR.

He finished an AR for me a few of years ago. He answered all questions promptly, very quick turn around (less than 2 weeks), & even finished a couple of magazines that I snuck in at no additional cost.

- Good luck -
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll second that recommendation for Mac.  His work looks nice and QUICK turnaround.  I can not, however, speak to Gunkote's long term quality, as I simply have not used my Mac's-restored guns that much yet.

Walter Birdsong also does OUTSTANDING work with his "Black T",  but be prepared to wait forever.  Long term quality on the Black T is great!
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I second the motion... Walter Birdsong's Black-T & Green -T are the way to go, if for no other reason than that his application process respects and preserves the integrity of the hard anodized finish of an aluminum AR receiver.

He does not bead blast the anodizing into oblivion prior to refinishing, and that is the reason why his finishes are the only ones recommended & approved of by SIG Sauer for the refinishing of their firearms (direct from Walter's mouth, BTW).  

If you check the Shootiniron web site, I believe that Mac states that his refinishing process removes the hard anodizing from aluminum, but that he replaces it with some unnamed "chemical coating", that is by his own admission, not as hard or durable as an anodized finish.  

I am not trying to knock Mac's refinishing process (I'm sure it is perfectly fine for steel), but when it comes to aluminum; there is only one game in town...

Walter Birdsong & Associates
1435 Monterey Rd.
Florence, MS 39073-9748
Tel.# (601) 939-7448

And yes, I speak as a past and future customer!

Link Posted: 7/8/2002 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#4]
From Shootiniron web site...

ALUMINUM SURFACE FUSION
WE USE A CHEMICAL BATH FOR ALL ALUMINUM PARTS TO SEAL THE SURFACE PRIOR TO THE FINISH APPLICATION. IT IS LESS THAN ANODIZING BUT MUCH MORE THAN BARE METAL AND MEETS MIL-SPEC.

Link Posted: 7/8/2002 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Is there a website for his company? So, I can the work he does
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#6]
No web site yet (last we spoke, Walter said it was "in the works"), so you will have to call.

Link Posted: 7/8/2002 8:45:03 PM EDT
[#7]
www.sawlesales.com/

they do colt spec finishes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top