Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2002 5:06:23 PM EDT
saw one in the gun shop today. got to handle it. anyone shot one yet? looks good overall but
more "toy" like than an ar. $634.00 out the door if i remember correctly. what twist rate?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#1]
1 in 9"

i'll be getting one as soon as i pay off my FAL and CETME this week!
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
saw one in the gun shop today. got to handle it. anyone shot one yet? looks good overall but
more "toy" like than an ar. $634.00 out the door if i remember correctly. what twist rate?

I'm surprised to got to see one as they're big time back ordered.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Specialty Sports in Co Springs Co. they sold a couple but no one in the shop had fired one yet. Don't know how many they had left. Almost purchased it but i want a little more fed back first.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Specialty Sports in Co Springs Co. they sold a couple but no one in the shop had fired one yet. Don't know how many they had left. Almost purchased it but i want a little more fed back first.

cruffler.com has done a review - very positive.  They fired I think 1000 rounds including using some questionable mags with no problems.

Here on the board, LARRYG, bigyeti and Spade, that I can quickly think of, have all received their AR-180B's.  You might check with them for some direct feed back.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

cruffler.com has done a review - very positive.  They fired I think 1000 rounds including using some questionable mags with no problems.

Here on the board, LARRYG, bigyeti and Spade, that I can quickly think of, have all received their AR-180B's.  You might check with them for some direct feed back.

If you don't get your hands on it right now, you be one crazy mofo.  It is not a toy.  It is one sweet shooting AR.  I have fired mine a good mine with no malfunctions and good accuracy.  I've also gotten a lot of 'what the heck is THAT?'.

Sub, this dealer may have ordered some long ago just for stock, or maybe some customers got tired of waiting.  Who knows.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't wait to get one of these myself.. :)

Anyone seen them yet on Long Island??
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Got word from Armalite today, they said mine will be at my FFL in 2-3 weeks..WOOHOO!!
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#8]
One of the best shooters I've ever handled...  

I can only describe it as "a natural" for tactical offhand shooting...
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:26:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:17:13 AM EDT
[#10]
If my AR-180B could cook I'd marry it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:10:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Can't wait to get one of these myself.. :)

Anyone seen them yet on Long Island??

I will have mine at Calverton this Sunday July 7th, your are more then welcome to fondle, caress, shoot and admire her. The only thing you can't do is kiss her on the lips.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:13:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:53:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I think they're pretty damn cool and a bargain as well.

W. Runner, ArmaLite just announced the shipping of their scope and mount for the AR-180B.  Retail is $124.00 !!!!!!!!

Now doccrawford has found an AR-180B for $634.00.  My math says that's $758.00 for an "AR" type weapon with scope and mount.  Got to be one of the best deals out there - probably 'THE' best.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
AFAIK, Armalite has not sold the AR180B yet with the user-friendly controls I would require.
I understand the quality of the item is not yet in question.
However, being a huge fan of good ergonomics, I'd pass unless and until the AR180B is vended with good, ergonomic controls.  YMMV.
While the price is attractive, if the purchase does not bring you what you want and need, it is a false economy.
I'll wait until Armalite meets my needs.

The controls are exactly the same as an AR15. As a matter of fact the 180B uses the AR15 trigger group including the safety switch. The only thing it lacks is an AR15 type bolt release, but to release the bolt, one only has to pull slightly back on the charging handle and release, simple.

RAF, you must have never handled an AR180B. I must say that I am disappointed that you would comment on it without personal knowledge.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
AFAIK, Armalite has not sold the AR180B yet with the user-friendly controls I would require.
However, being a huge fan of good ergonomics, I'd pass unless and until the AR180B is vended with good, ergonomic controls.  YMMV.
While the price is attractive, if the purchase does not bring you what you want and need, it is a false economy.

Whatchu talkin bout, Willis?

The 180B has great ergonomics.  It comes up very naturally and target acquistion is so easy.  What makes you think you would not like the ergonomics?  Doesn't one usually shoot something before they decide the ergonomics are not suitable.

As noted, the controls are exactly the same as an AR15.  As for the quality not being called into question YET, WTF is that supposed to mean?
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Firearms owners really shouldn't freebase.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 4:41:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Two reviews that you folks might want to check:  cruffler.com and gunblast.com/AR-180B.htm     ...........
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The AR180-B has the same controls as the AR?  Nope, check the bolt handle.  Not even the same as the original, which was much better.

I always felt that the bolt release, charging handle and forward assist concept was the AR15/M16s weakest point. I guess grabbing that bolt handle on the AR180B just comes natural from shooting my M1A and M1s. The safety switch and mag release are the same as an AR15.

And yes, I have handled both the original and the newbie.  I like the original, except for the sights.  The 180B gets a pass from me, until they install the original bolt handle (ambidextrous, dontcha know), and maybe offer better iron sights.

Don't hold your breath. I doubt Armalite will put any more time or effort in to a $600 rifle.
I really don't think that they should. It is what it is supposed to be, an inexpensive 6 pound semi-auto battle rifle/plinker with good ghost ring sights, not a match gun.

As to quality, I expect it to be high.  However, I'll reserve final opinion 'till a number of them have seen a few thousand rounds.

My opinion, and worth exactly what you paid for it.  As I said before, YMMV.

I do respect your opinion and I have an open mind. The AR180B just "feels" right to me.  Granted that I have not shot thousands of rounds through it but I will soon, very soon. I will do my best to give an unbiased report. What the hell, R.I. aint too far, maybe you and your buddys can help me do a torture test on this sucker.

Link Posted: 7/5/2002 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The AR180-B has the same controls as the AR?  Nope, check the bolt handle.  Not even the same as the original, which was much better.

And yes, I have handled both the original and the newbie.  I like the original, except for the sights.  The 180B gets a pass from me, until they install the original bolt handle (ambidextrous, dontcha know), and maybe offer better iron sights.

As to quality, I expect it to be high.  However, I'll reserve final opinion 'till a number of them have seen a few thousand rounds.

My opinion, and worth exactly what you paid for it.  As I said before, YMMV.

The iron sights aren't that dissimilar to the original.  I have both and have compared them.  I at first was not pleased with the ghost ring setup, but I found that it makes for much faster target acquisition compared to a rifle with a smaller aperture opening.  I did however order an NM rear aperture, but I may not install now.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top