Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2002 11:27:28 AM EDT
really nice with the metal followers and the floorplate retainer clips.  at least 95% finish.  The only thing is a little surface/storage rust on the springs.  Any suggestions on replacements for the springs?

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Wolf Springs
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used dozens and dozens of GI 20's over the past 25 years or so and have NEVER had a problem with the springs. That includes one that was left loaded with 18 rounds from sometime in Viet Nam era (I believe c. 1970)until it was given to me in 1993. I marked it for identification and used it heavily in NRA Highpower competition as one of my 8-round rapid fire mags, and also took it to two Thunder Ranch Urban Rifle courses (1200 rounds in a week, I used 6 mags each time, including this one).  That mag has never malfunctioned... and it is one of the EARLY .223 marked mags with the silver bottom plate, suggesting it got its share of use in VN before being relegated to light duty... Like the Energizer Bunny, it just keeps going, and going, and going...

So I can't imagine any real reason to replace the springs without testing them first.  Personally, I'd be more afraid of messing up the mags by installing extra-power springs than by just leaving them alone and using them as-is.

Hope helppful,
John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top