Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2002 6:01:31 PM EDT
Ive got a postban bushy M4gery, This has an A3 upper and 14.5" barrel with a perm. attached mini Y...

Ive also got a Preban bushy and it has an A2 upper and 16" Hbar..

The Ideal setup I want on my preban is an A3 upper, with a 14.5" M4 with a perm attached Phantom FS.

I was looking to buy an upper like that for my preban but then I thought, "Oh I already have one" but its postban.

Im sure a gunsmith could take the prem attached mini Y off and replace it with a Phantom, but what about there being no Bayo lug??

My question is, should I do this, or would I be better off just selling my Preban H-bar upper, and just buying a flat-top upper with a 14.5" M4 barrel???
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#1]
The question is, "do you really need a bayo lug?"  You could chance it and have your smith swap out the whole front sight assembly with a new one, but that may cause more problems than it fixes.  Now is I were you, I'd see if Oilhead still has that preban M4 barrel left in the Equipment exchange and just have your smith change out the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont "need" a bayo lug, but I do for the coolness factor.  I saw that M4 barrel that oilhead has, I was thinking about that. I might just do that, and then put the A2 upper from the preban on the postban and the A3 upper on the preban.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are thinking about having the FH removed then a new front sight base should be no big deal.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Should I have a local guy do it, or should I send it to Bushmaster?? How much do you think it would cost?? for them to take off the brake and put a phantom on, + a preban sight base?
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I dont "need" a bayo lug, but I do for the coolness factor. .

O Boy, here we go again.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Should I have a local guy do it, or should I send it to Bushmaster?? How much do you think it would cost?? for them to take off the brake and put a phantom on, + a preban sight base?

If you buys Oilheads barrel, you could swap out the barrels with the right tools, or you can have a Smith do it in no time flat. Time wise I think it'd be easier to swap out the barrels than change out the brake for a supressor.

I can tell you right now, Bushmaster won't do it.  I wanted to change out an AK brake for an Mini Y and they said no.  My local Smith said he wouldn't do it ither because he spoke to Bushmaster and they said ther were welded on and it couldn't be done.  Meanwhile I had just gotten my upper back from Kurt's Kustoms where he removed a Mini Y from another upper and replaced it with a Fake Flash supressor.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Replacing Bushmaster's so-called permanently attached comps can be done, especially by a competent gunsmith. Bushmaster inserts 2 pins into the break/barrel, welds over the top of the pins & then grinds/sands the welds smooth. If you look closely at one of these brakes you will see a slight discoloration where the pins are located. You can grind into the pins slightly to break the weld and then remove them. You will ruin the brake but that doesn't matter since you're replacing it anyway. Just don't grind so deep that you hit the barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top