Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2002 7:52:28 AM EDT
does too much CLP left after cleaning harm the ar15? Is there a general rule of thumb regarding how much clp for lubrication to leave?

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:54:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't want it dripping from the parts, but keep those that need it nicely coated.  You don't want too much oil in there as it will help to trap dirt and other particles.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Ditto what Bill said.

I will say that if you to over do it on the cleaning, CLP is probably the best to overclean with.

Its not as thick as oils, doesn't gum up so it won't trap dirt as easily.

For me, I'm slowing starting to like CLP better then some of the more advanced cleaners.
I've always viewed CLP as a starter solvent, but it does exactly what I want it to do, all in one bottle!

The more I learn about firearms, the more I'm finding opinions that in this world of modern cleaners and over cleaning, more damage is being done cleaning, then actually wear and tear of firing them.

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#3]
check the -10 manual; it tells you where to apply light and heavy coats of CLP, and defines those terms.  

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#4]
TIP

When using CLP, make sure you put a bearing or two in the bottle and shake it to make sure you have a good mix of all materials within CLP.

mark
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]
That or just shake it for 10-20 seconds.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea what is that white stuff that comes out if not shook properly. I got to the end of a bottle I thought it was Well you know.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yea what is that white stuff that comes out if not shook properly. I got to the end of a bottle I thought it was Well you know.

That is one of the lubricants, I was told, years ago...  CLP should always come out looking cloudy whitish.

Even shaking by hand will not do as good a job as compared to dropping a couple ball bearings into a pint/gallon and shaking like a spray paint can.  (Rattle, rattle, rattle...)

mark
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:29:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Teflon particles
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:51:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Just a tip, I accicently ordered the spray can of CLP. I really dont like it. I prefer the old squeeze bottle. Its hard to get on patches from the spray can.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:59:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just a tip, I accicently ordered the spray can of CLP. I really dont like it. I prefer the old squeeze bottle. Its hard to get on patches from the spray can.

Ohmygawd that's so true.  Spray bottles of CLP have two speeds: OFF and EXPLOSION.

Messes made trying to get a drop or two are enhanced by the attractive aroma.

Family members make encouraging comments while I'm cleaning the excess off the kitchen floor.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:26:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree, spray CLP sucks. I think I'm going to empty mine into an old fashioned CLP bottle.

Only problem I have had with too much CLP is first couple rounds can give you smoke. Make sure the bore is clean before you shoot though.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 2:16:35 PM EDT
[#12]
after i clean my rifles, they are dripping wyth CLP........., then i take a shaving brush & go over every part before it goes bak, that light film of CLP that the brush leaves behind is all ya need
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top