Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2002 1:38:45 PM EDT
In the absence of any good reason not to, I intend to order a RRA chrome M4A4 upper tomorrow?
Does anyone own one or have shot one?
Good?
If anyone knows any bad please post it now.
(If anyone knows any bad about sable co please also post)
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I just posted a thread on this 2 days ago. When I got mine from SableCo it had a truly ratty finish. Looked like cement almost. Sent it back to RRA and they replaced the upper receiver. Looks great. Matches lower just about perfect.  Thermold mags are very snug so far but USGI's fir perfect. I haven't shot it for accuracy yet due to all the friggin bugs up here right now. It's like the Egyptian plagues or something. I like it alot so far, though.

Mine started as a RRA lower I ordered as a group purchase here at ar15.com last year. Then built with a RRA parts kit, Hogue grip, Colt buttstock and finally the upper.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw your post, that's what caused my request for info (besides normal caution)
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I put one together with RRA Parts I got from Pete-in-NH. Fit and finish are perfect. I've put about 500 rds through it so far...various brands including some junk Korean. Not a single problem. I haven't dealt with Sableco, but I haven't read anything bad about them. I think Pete assembles them himself, so there is less likelihood of having problems with fit/finish, as opposed to something that may be assembled at the factory and may have missed some of the QA checking.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I put one together from RRA and have been exceedingly pleased with the results.  600 rounds without a single weapon malfunction, and that's without cleaning or additional lube.

I havn't bagged it up for accuracy, but I think that 2" groups will be easily attainable.  RRA usually advertises 1" groups FWIW.

I've never heard of any other finish problems, and I've handled several RRA guns / receivers through my shop.  All have been top quality in fit finish and assembly.  The only thing they don't offer that Bushmaster does is the solid film lubricant on the inside of the upper receiver.  Of coarse, chrome linings are not available on all barrels yet.

I am starting to favor RRA over Bushmaster simply because Bushmaster is starting to price themselves into Colt territory.  I still like, own, and sell Bushmasters, but they are getting too proud of their product I think.

Saleen
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#5]
My finish problem on my RRA upper was the damndest thing I've seen. When it came the receiver had thick black goop over it with a couple of areas that were very rough grey in appearance. This turned out to be what the entire upper receiver would look like after I cleaned it up. My jaw kind of dropped whan I saw it initially. I took some Rem-oil and wiped off the black "goop" revealing that the entire upper rec had this grey, cement type finish. Took bore solvent and wiped it with a little. No change. Oil again. Same. Seemed as if the "finish" literally repelled the oil. Within one minute there was no residual oil visible or noted on touch. I called RRA and they took care of it by replacing the upper receiver.
I really do like my new rifle alot so far, FWIW, but it cost me $16 more as well as the hassle of shipping back and forth. No big deal, though. I would buy another.

They never told me what was wrong with it. I also asked Donnie at SableCo to find out for me and he said he would but I never heard anything more. I guess all's well that ends well!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#6]
OK ya got me thinin.  When I baught my new RRA CAR the fella siad he was sellin then for $699 becuase they had a blemish on them.  

I lokked it over and could not see anything.  Some parts looked oiled and others looked dry.  But it looked fine to me.

After reading this post I looked at it again and it just looks like soem parts have oil on them and others dont.  I took some Breakfree and whiped it down and now it looks like its uniform, whiped down.   I still cannot see an blemish except one minute pot mark in the mag part of the reciver.   Maybe thats what he was talking about, its minute and I had to look hard to find it. Looks fine.

Are the things your talking about more apparent then this.  Do they jump out at ya?  

Just making sure.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a RRA M4A4. I love it. ITs a nice little gun. I've got an EOTech 552 and an ARMS #40 mounted. Shoots great, no problems.

Thermolds are also tight in my gun. Not the magwell itself, but up in by the bolt.

-Jared
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Revbob,
Way more apparent. I'm serious. Looked like the cement on my sidewalk. That's the closest I can come to describing it. Somebody fucked up on the finish. No other explanation for it. Never should have been sent out of factory, though. Never shipped out from SableCo either.
Listen guys, I'm not slamming anyone. Just telling it like it is. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a RRA again. Got it sitting here next to me checking it out and I like it alot. Shit happens. When it does, send the shit back!

PvtJoker,
Mines same. I'm going to compare with others when I get the chance. May need to stick with USGI's. I'll let everyone know when I have a chance to check 'em out.

Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:17:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Just recieved my RRA M4 custom upper from Pete in NH and mated to the RRA lower I built(also from Pete) and the fit and finish is perfect!  I would highly reccomend both RRA and Pete in NH.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top