Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2002 4:18:49 PM EDT
Everything I can think of is upwards of $1K.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Savage currently offers the model 10FP-XP-LE with heavy barrel, composite stock,Sharpshooter trigger,bipod, and a Burris ballistic plex scope. All in a hardcase for under $1000
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Take a look at Armalite's line of Eagle Arms brand of AR10s.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Forgot to add. Speaking of a semi-auto here, not bolt.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:25:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Don, handt thought of that one. Musta had a brain fart.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#5]
What you could do is get the Eagle, then later buy the uppers that fill your needs. My .02
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#6]
DSA STG-58 $795 dealer.  Add $50 for the carbine.

Nice FAL, very well put together.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Can't you get the Remington 700 PSS in that range? Last one I saw even at a gun show was $799.00. Granted, there was nothing on it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:41:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Browning BAR II.

Seriously.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#9]
DPMS is coming out with a .308 AR style gun that is designed for the serious target shooter and it is going to be under a $grand.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe a nice used M1A.  And another vote for DSA STG58.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 5:17:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the ideas. I just want a good semi auto .308 that would make a decent fighting rifle. The Eagle might be the way to go. I was seriously considering a Springfield M1A Scout, but the price bothers me a tad and I have been wondering whether or not I will like the non-chrome lined barrel. I really lke DSA's, but If I was going to get a DSA I would want the standard carbine. Hadnt thought about the STG58 though.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#12]
You can get an Eagle flattop with scope rings if Ya shop around...  
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#13]
If you look around, you can find preban FMP and or Springfield HK91 copies. Also a used M1A1 will usually go in that range.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#14]
DSA Stg58A.

You won't be sorry.

AR-like recoil.
$6 mags.
3.5" groups with surplus ammo at 200 yards.
Very nice fit and finish.

In my estimation, the best .308 avaialbe for the money.

Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll third and fourth and fifth the votes for the STG58A.  Just got one a few months ago, and it is pretty sweet.  Mine is having some problems shooting certain lots of the Port. ammo, but a new hammer/trigger/sear should take care of that.  

Hell... You should buy one just because of the cheap mags!  Tapco is running a 10/$100 special for NIW mags, still paper and plastic wrapped.  They're original FN contract mags.  Can't beat that with a stick.

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:09:33 PM EDT
[#16]
If you build a FN-FAL you will never regret it!
Plenty reasonably-priced parts around along with
all the info you will ever need on FN-FAL site
and Cruffler.com Archives. FUN-FUN-FUN
Will cost about $650 first class, maybe $1-150
less if you study-up first and then buy on
FN-FAL Board Equip.exch. or gunshows judiciously.About as difficult as building an
ar15,certainly not much more if you are handy
at all with tools and can follow good
instructions.The guys over at FN-FAL are
tremendous sources for help,JUST LIKE ALL
THE GENTLEMEN ON AR15.COM.
A really fun,interesting project.Good luck!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#17]
What type of accuracy do you want to achieve?  Irons or Optics?  Ease of cleaning?

Eagle's flattop is best suited for mounting optics.  Not sure if you can get an Eagle in A2 from the factory, but you can always buy the carry handle(comes with NM sights, I think?).
M1A has the most accurate standard iron sights, plus easiest to adjust for windage and elevation.  The scopemount attaches to the side of the receiver.
FAL's, IMHO, have the worst iron sight system.  The scopemount secure over the receiver with set screws.  Personally, I would not buy a gun based the price of the mags.  But DSA would be the best way to go for a FAL.
DPMS is designed to be a target model(probably most accurate), not a battle rifle.

In may I picked up a NIB Eagle Arms w/ Stainless HBar for $900 delivered.  

Go with the Eagle.  Mostlikely you are all ready very familiar with the AR style rifle, so it will make troubleshooting and repair(if needed)easier.  It has the best setup for accuracy with optics and detachable iron sights, easy to clean, least number of moving parts and certain parts are interchangeable with AR15's.

Just my $.04 worth.

223REM  
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 11:16:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Take a look at Armalite's line of Eagle Arms brand of AR10s.

Or DPMS' AR10 clone they've recently been showing.  It should be in the $900 price range according to them.  It's still not finalized for production, but it's close from what I understand.

The I haven't heard a single bad thing about the DSA FAL's.  They uses all the standard metric FAL parts, including the mags.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 1:13:00 AM EDT
[#19]
I vote for the FAL simply because they are reliable as hell and if you drop it, you probably won't sweat the dents and scratches. But accuracy is not that great and the irons suck, as was previously mentioned.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:10:37 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I vote for the FAL simply because they are reliable as hell and if you drop it, you probably won't sweat the dents and scratches. But accuracy is not that great and the irons suck, as was previously mentioned.

I'd be pizzed if I dropped my DSA Stg58A - it comes from the manf. in like new condition. Near perfect park, brand new furniture, etc.

And I thought same as you when I saw the irons. I thought "For $800, they could give me something better than an M1 Carbine ramp rear sight." But that was BEFORE I SHOT IT.

Like I say - 3.5" groups at 200 yards with those irons.

Besides, it IS a battle rifle - NOT a competition rifle. IF you want 1/4 minute clicks, then YES yer prolly not wanting ANY FAL.

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:27:58 AM EDT
[#21]
The FAL would be an excellent choice, and they can be had inexpensively.  Look over on the falFiles: www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php.  Keep in mind, though, it's an MBR, not a sniper rifle.  Accuracy will be adequate but not great.

You might also consider a Garand rebarreled for .308.  Best iron sights ever put on a rifle.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:51:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Garand man you hit it on the head. I want a fighting rifle. Dont need pinpoint accuracy. Have other things for that. You guys are starting to sway me. Yes, AR's are my forte, so the Eagle would be the same manual of arms. However, the price of mags is a consideration. I want lots of mags. Guess I have to go do a bit more studying on the Eagle and the DSA. I really love the SA58's, but the price tag is killing me. Guess I could sell off a few other things. Hmmmm. Time to shop around some more.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:00:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Guess I could sell off a few other things. Hmmmm. Time to shop around some more.

NO  NO NO!!!! NEVER sell anything!!!!!!!!!!

The DSA Stg58A can be had for $8-900.

Go to a friendly FFL and get him to buy it from DSA at dealer cost. (I got mine a little over a yead ago for $795.)Tell him you give him a $50-75 transfer fee. (emphasizing why its good to cultivate a good relationship with an FFL, even tho you may save a buck a box at Walmart on ammo.)

Even at retail the Stg58A is only $1K.

My friend HAS the SA58. After seeing my Stg58A, he said he wished he'd gotten one like mine. Coulda saved himself $400.

The Stg58A truly is like a brand new rifle (even tho built from kits)

The reason I'd stay away from the .308 AR is all that unburnt powder from a .308 case coming back into the receiver scares me. My .223 AR gets filthy dirty. Can't imagine waht a .308 would do.(admittedly I've never fired one)

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:14:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Good point on the Eagle .308 adn getting dirty Gman.
As for selling something off, we are starting construction on our house so money is pretty frozen.
I also have a couple of personal quirks. If a gun is sitting in the safe not getting used or doesnt have a specific purpose, it goes. I dont have the money to have guns sitting in the safe not doing anything, as much as I would love to just have a safe (or 2) full of all the ones I like. The fewer guns I have, the more time I can spend becoming intimate with them. As much as I love it, I could get rid of my Dissipator. My carbine is a little demon. My Dissi is currently my "urban combat rifle", but that role would be taken over by the .308, soooo, hav eto decide if the Dissi has another job or not. I also could let go of my 1911, though I love it as well. My H&K USP's fill most all of my handgun needs. Hmmm, you guys really have my head going now. I really love AR's and 5.56mm, but, from lots of things I have been reading, I am really starting to get swayed back into the 7.62 realm.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:17:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Another vote for ANYTHING made by DSA.  I've got both a DSA STG58A and a SA58 and you get a lot of gun for the money.

Mags are still 1/4 the cost of other .308 semi auto's on the market and parts are readily avalible.

Here's my DSA STG58A:

Semper Fi
Jeff
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:20:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Jeff, thats what I am looking for. Nice 7.62 chambering medium size fighting rifle.

What are the biggest differences between the SA58 and the STG. I am fairly familiar with the FAL in general.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:21:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Here's ANOTHER reason to give DSA your business.

They went to the mat for us AGAINST BATF on the Steyr muzzle brake when ATF tried to call it a flash suppressor.

Admittedly, there was financial incentive for them also (in not having to pay to replace prolly hundreds of brakes) but fact is, I've spoken with them, and they are VERY pro RKBA.

Add to that excellent customer service, and you got the whole package. Great products, pro RKBA, and service after the sale.

They are a class act.

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:54:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Also, in addition the the differences between the STG and the SA, what are the diff. between the Type I and II receivers.

Starting to like them. Alot.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:59:17 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Also, in addition the the differences between the STG and the SA, what are the diff. between the Type I and II receivers.

Starting to like them. Alot.

No functional difference.

The Type 2 have "lightening cuts" that remove some material from the receiver.

I actually chose a Type 1 as "more is always better." Right???

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:08:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Are you by chance a dealer for DSA?

Honest question.

223REM
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:23:23 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honest question.

223REM

I got the $795 price from an FFL that had never dealt with DSA before.

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Anybody got a link the the Eagle's? Cant seem to find them on Armalite's sight.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:37:58 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The reason I'd stay away from the .308 AR is all that unburnt powder from a .308 case coming back into the receiver scares me. My .223 AR gets filthy dirty. Can't imagine waht a .308 would do.(admittedly I've never fired one)

My Eagle Arms AR10 is just as clean if not cleaner, after hundred rounds of Portugal  suplus .308, than my AR15's using Federal XM193 surplus from Lake City.  

Between the Eagle and FAL now you are talking about $50-100 difference, tops!  Go American Made, go Eagle.  DSA still uses foreign kits.

223REM

Buy an Eagle and you'll have three other forum to contribute to here.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:57:52 AM EDT
[#34]
http://www.impactguns.com/store/armalite_ar10.html

http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/adobeCatalog/Final%20CatalogWithPrices.pdf

Here are a couple links.

I have an AR10T and a AR10A2. I love them. Have not had them very long, but no failures except one of the 20-rnd mags won't load every other rnd in either rifle. . .. but only with the one mag. It doesn't appear to get dirty at all compaired to other guns of mine, like my HK USC. After 100 rnds, the patches barily turned grey! -Int he USC t's give me several black ones after 100 rnds.

Anyhow, I love them, but have never shot a Fal. I do think highly of REAL FN fals, but obviusly int he end I chose the Armalite. One reason is it and EVERY part in it are made entirely in the USA. I also think it looks better, handles better, controls are nicer, optics range/mounts are better, etc. . . .

20rnd mag prices will kill you though.

-Justin
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Jeff, Nice looking FAL.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#36]
For those with AR10's or Eagle's, would you be so kind as to give me your thoughts and opinions on how they shoot.

Would really like to know if anyone has shot both a DSA and a AR10 and could relate the two as far as how they shot compared to each other.

Sorry for all the questions, but if I get one, this is a sizeable chunk o change for me to lay out and I just want to make the best choice. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Used M1a or FAL should be around that price
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
For those with AR10's or Eagle's, would you be so kind as to give me your thoughts and opinions on how they shoot.

Would really like to know if anyone has shot both a DSA and a AR10 and could relate the two as far as how they shot compared to each other.

Sorry for all the questions, but if I get one, this is a sizeable chunk o change for me to lay out and I just want to make the best choice. Thanks.

The Eagle I originally purchase as a flattop is now on Armalite A2 upper w/ NM sight(thanks John!)  I had sub moa accuracy as a flattop with decent optics(tasco world class).  As an A2 it has 1 moa off the bench.   I can't attest for DSA Fal's, but my buddy has a Fal(probably a Century Arms import) that shoots a 3 moa on a good day using the same ammo I use in the Eagle.  Both DSA and generic FAL use the same sights, which ease of adjustment and accuracy is now way near an A2 design.

223REM  
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honest question.

223REM

'Fraid not.  Though I do have an understanding local dealer.

I am Army SF.

To answer your other question earlier, the STG is a parts gun made from what appear to be near unissued Austrian Army FALs on a new manufactured DSA receiver.  Mine has replacement handguards, which are an improvement over the original metal ones, and the excellent factory bipod.  I have the 58C which is the 16" carbine version.  It has a nasty blast from the short barrel and muzzle brake, though it balances and handles like an M-4.  If I were to do it all over again, I would probably get a 20" rifle (STG-58) and have it cut back to 18" or so.  I already own a 20" FAL.

The SA is a brand new DSA manufactured FAL based on the Austrian pattern rifle.  It runs about $300 more.

You can get the STG rifle, 10 extra mags, and 500 rounds of Port 7.62 for less than $1,000.

I am a big Armalite and Eagle fan, but even if you get a deal on the rifle, mags are going to run you $70-$90 each.  That means that the same package would run you about $1800, if you feel that you need 10 mags.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 3:29:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks. That helps a bit. Any big difference quality wise between the SA and the STG? I just want a shooter.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:02:02 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Thanks. That helps a bit. Any big difference quality wise between the SA and the STG? I just want a shooter.

For the money, I'd get the STG and spend the balance on mags and ammo.

The quality of my STG is incredible and is actually better than most of the new rifles I have seen.  I was shocked when I took it out of the box but what do you expect from the Austrians?  

The store has ordered six more for guys who saw mine before I picked it up.

Nothing wrong with the SA, it is an all new rifle with a new barrel, but the STG looked just as good to me.

Ask around over on falfiles.com and take a look at DSA's website.  I think you will be pleased.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Unless you're wanting some special set up (like a Type III receiver, stainless barrel, free-float guards, or the slimline brakes) you're not getting a lot of milage out of that $400 more you're spending on the SA.

As far as an Eagle AR10 versus FAL... the magazines of the AR10 are a weakness.  The accuracy is its strength.

It depends on what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for the kind words about the rifle for those that chimed in.

Hawkeye1,

The main difference between the DSA STG58A and the SA58 is that the SA58 uses all American made parts, has a Badger cryo treated high end barrel, uses a light weight lower receiver, ect.  The SA58 balances better than my STG58 and is lighter.

All in all both the SA58 and the STG58A are worth every cent that I spent on them.  You can't go wrong either way with a product made by DSA.  Good luck

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top