Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2002 7:44:20 AM EDT
Stopped in a pawn shop and spotted an ar with a collapsable stock and C-more on cantilever mount and asked to see it.   had fh/lug and was told it was preban (asking $2198 by the way)  Was going to remember the serial #, but forgot.

Anyway the serial # was something like say OA5050 5
MY POINT BEING the first 6 digits were FACTORY stamped and the last digit was stamped with a entirely DIFFERENT tool.  In other words it didn't match the tooling of the first digits.

Did Oly do this or did someone add a digit (can you do this legally if it was an individual?)
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#1]
doesnt sound like its on the up and up to me.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Well I haven't heard of THIS before... caveat emptor for sure.

Emptor run away for the price.  A guy on Assaultweb has a preban with extras for $1k right now.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#3]
well I know that is not legal but why would someone do this your not going to make a postban serial number turn into a preban number by adding digits you would take them away if anything. right?
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Come on guys, this is Oly that we're talking about.  They've been hand stamping parts for years.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#5]
2100 for a pre ban oly, what a laugh
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Couple of notes:

(1) Modifying the serial number on a firearm will get you 10 to 20 at Club Fed.  It's a big no-no.

(2) You can check date of manufacture here: www.olyarms.com/usa.html.  Note, however, the critical date is when the firearm was assembled, not when the receiver was manufactured.

(3) And for the Oly bashers, have any of you ever actually owned a preban Oly?  I've owned two, and both were excellent rifles.  Never had a problem with either one.  I still have one of them and plan to keep it a long time.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 2:58:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Come on guys, this is Oly that we're talking about.  They've been hand stamping parts for years.

What parts have they been hand stamping that other manufacturers are not?

mark
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#8]
probably just standard Slip-shot Oly workmanship.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I have two OLY'S and they are good, real good.They have preformed flawlessly for years. I have Buddys with Bushy's and they are in the UPS for repair more than there being shot, the Bushy's  have a cool name ,but I don't shoot a gun cause it's name is cool. Oly rules the AR 15 Roost.Been Shooting for 20 years now, so am speaking from experience.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a Poly-Tech chineese AK-47 and it too had the last serial digit changed on the reciever along with the bolt stamp. Turned out legit.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Changed serial numbers on imported weapons is not unusual but on USA made ones its a strict NO-NO unless its been remanufactered/custom built and then the numbers usually look all the same (And the new serial number has been registered with BATF). Never heard of some one doing a number change on an AR tho .
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Run away from that, for the price and the serial numbers. There are too many good deals out there.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Could easily have been a PD trade in...
We get old LE guns in from local PD's that almost always have extra numbers stamped, glued, or engraved in them...

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if that's the case...

Gun is too overpriced to even consider anyway...
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:34:32 AM EDT
[#14]
ComputerHater-Art,       I had it in my mind all along that POSSIBLY this was a LE trade-in.
Anyway I asked what was the best they could do and she said maybe $2,000  cash so I left and haven't been back since.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 12:31:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What parts have they been hand stamping that other manufacturers are not?

mark

Sicne there is no reply to what parts Olympic Arms has been allegedly stamping, I think it is safe to say that what was said is a generality without fact...

mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top