Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2002 7:00:00 PM EDT
I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum...

Can someone please help this newbie to understand the differences between a muzzle break, flush hider and a compensator?

TIA :)
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#1]
This is how I understand it:

Flash Hider: Hides flash from shooter, does not suppress flash on the business end. Cone shaped flash hiders on WWII weapons, like the M1 Garand, Enfield No.5 Jungle Carbine and M1 Carbine are examples of a flash hider.  

Compensator/Muzzle-break: Does not suppress flash. May reduce muzzle climb and/or recoil.

Flash Suppressor: Disperses gases and unburned powder in such a way that visibly burning vapors are reduced, thus suppressing flash to both the shooter and observers.

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#2]
A muzzle break and compensator are okay and the flash hider is "evil".

A muzzle break usually ports the discharged gas and flames out the sides of a barrel to minimize recoil and or muzzle motion. The compensator usually ports pressure out the top to counteract upward motion of barrel during a shot.

Flash supressor is to hide (sorta) the discharge flame. At least that's the theory and why they are perceived as evil.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Can someone please help this newbie to understand the differences between a muzzle break, flush hider and a compensator?

TIA :)

Isn't a flush hider called a toilet lid?
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Isn't a flush hider called a toilet lid?

You got me!
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks scram & retrodog for your replies.

I recently picked up a Bushmaster, it has the "birdcage" style muzzle suppressor. Is that just another name for a flash suppressor?  Or is it a muzzle break? [:confused:]
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks scram & retrodog for your replies.

I recently picked up a Bushmaster, it has the "birdcage" style muzzle suppressor. Is that just another name for a flash suppressor?  Or is it a muzzle break? [:confused:]

The "birdcage" is a flash hider which...well...resembles a birdcage.  The earliest AR's had a pronged flash hider which tended to get hung up on brush.

A compensator directs exiting gas upwards to COMPENSATE for muzzle flip.  They're usually found on a handguns.

Finally, a muzzle brake directs gas out from the sides (or top and bottom) of the muzzle, reducing the amount of gas that follows the bullet.  It ends up reducing the felt recoil.

"Supressor" is the same as "silencer."
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#7]
A rule of thumb here (and yes there are gazillions of exceptions probably).

The newer muzzle breaks usually have cuts up and down, perpindicular to the barrel. Flash supressors usually have cuts lengthways with the barrel.

Compensators are usually holes drilled into the top of the end of the barrel, to port upward,,, keeping the barrel down.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#8]
So does it mean that the unit on my Bushmaster is sort of a combo of the two?  It has cuts on top and to the side but it's solid on the bottom.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#9]
It is very confusing. As I understand it a Muzzle break is designed with the intent to reduce recoil. The flash supressor/hider is designed to reduce muzzle flash. As several people have pointed out there is quite a grey area in between. I am still not sure where the line is drawn, because I am sure someone has designed an excellent hybred. Perhaps only the BATF knows for sure.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#10]

So does it mean that the unit on my Bushmaster is sort of a combo of the two? It has cuts on top and to the side but it's solid on the bottom.
It may be.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
So does it mean that the unit on my Bushmaster is sort of a combo of the two?  It has cuts on top and to the side but it's solid on the bottom.

This could be a Wilson muzzle break that is made to resemble the A2 flashhider.  Is it flush on the end with a hole or is it wide open and you can look inside from the front and see the end of the barrel?
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#12]
After doing some further research on it, I found out that mine is a "birdcage" flash hider.

I just took a look at the Wilson MB... cool!

BTW what's involve in replacing and installing a new muzzle break?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top