Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2002 10:53:09 AM EDT
I am considering applying for a CCW here in the peoples Republic of California.  I own two handguns.  One is a Sig 228 and the other is Sig 226.

I want to know what type of holster, where to buy and how much.  I am not saying money is a factor.  Style and quality are first.  Then, buy at the best price.

Your input is appreciated.

Ralph
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#1]
i prefer a jackass rig shoulder holster, but most of my friends like in-the-waistband.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out Milt Sparks

www.miltsparks.com

I have the VM-2 holster and its the best holster I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#3]
You need to know how you want to carry first off.  Do you prefer shoulder, IWB, paddle, SOB, etc...  How do you plan on concealing it (jacket, vest, untucked shirt, etc...)?

As for brand, any of your well know leather makers are an option (milt sparks, galco, bianchi, safariland, mitch rosen, wilson, etc.)
There are a helluvalot of good companies out there.

Link Posted: 6/4/2002 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#4]
EDITED TO SAY:  "Better worry about getting your CCW approved FIRST...as Kalifornia makes it damned near impossible for anyone to get a permit.  It's definitely NOT a 'shall-issue' state.  Basically, you have to have lots of goods reasons for getting a permit (transporting money daily) AND THEN have lots of political connections and a fat wallet (catch my drift) to grease the skids.  Good luck."

Don't skimp on the leather...it will cost you at least $80 if not $120 for a really good holster.  I would personally recommend staying with either Mitch Rosen, Milt Sparks, or Kramer Leather.

I have to "DITTO" what MCTS said...the Milt Sparks VersaMax2 (VM2) holster is unbelievably comfortable and an excellent concealed IWB holster.  I carry a full-sized Government 1911 .45acp in one, and it works great.  My father has some other designs of Milt Sparks' IWB holsters...but he too says my VM2 is more comfortable for a full-size gun.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Rhatland

Good luck in getting your permit in california. Although in some areas it is pretty tough, they are obtainable.

There are many types of ways to conceal your firearm.

Like one other person said there is IWB( In The Waist Band) type holsters, Shoulder holsters, fanny packs, pocket holsters, concealment vests, ankle holsters,belly bands, normal strong side carry, and SOB( Small of the Back). I would recomend not carrying SOB due to potential injury to your spine if you were to fall backwards onto your back with your firearm in that type of holster.  

The type of concealment that you choose to use will depend on the type and size of your firearm, the weather climate in your area, and the type of clothing you are going to choose to wear while conceal carry.

I carry a full-size firearm. I carry A Beretta 92FS. I use a Versa Max 2 holster from Milt Sparks. It is the most comfortable holster I have come across. So myself I would recomend Milt Sparks holsters for IWB type conceal carry.
The cost for one of there holsters is worth the money. This is Milt Sparks web site www.miltsparks.com The wait though for a holster is 8-14 weeks. Well worth the wait though.

A good source for conceal carry issues is a web site called www.packing.org. There is a huge wealth of information on this site.

Hope this all helps.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#6]
The Kramer Paddle Holster works well for me.  YMMV.  

Get something that you find comfortable and that helps conceal the weapon, or you won't have it when you need it.

Just my .02.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Ankle:  I think the Alessi makes the best ankle holster (it is felt lined which wicks away moisture and is not a rubberized model which gets uncomftorable.

Side holster: I have been using GALCO for years and love them but have never tried Milt sparks.

Fanny Pack:  Bianchi not a neoprene holster and fully adjustable

Have owned Kramers, Bianchi, Don Hume, Safariland and liked them.  I am now buying a blade tech inside the waisteband for a small auto.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top