Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2002 3:41:21 PM EDT
I have a customer who wants to trade a Weatherby for $270 worth of merchandise (my cost). It is SS w/fiberglass stock, chambered in .308. It is two years old and American made. This man is 70+ years old and I have dealt with him for a while and I'm sure he took good care of his stuff. I'll check out the rifle tomorrow and if it looks good I think I'll make the trade. I've asked him three times if he was ok with the swap and he said yes so I don't feel guilty. It was his idea anyway. Now the question is, what's a decent scope for this rifle that won't break the budget? Three new rifles in four months has left me a little thin on disposable income.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 5:46:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Try a Bushnell Trophy 3 X 9 X 40 for $109.00.  I've owned several of these over the years and they seem to have better quality than their price suggests.  The Trophy is a few dollars more, but it has a larger eyepiece, focus adjustment, better lens coatings, etc.  I used this scope to shoot 1/4-inch groups at 100 yards with 3 different rifles some years ago. Sure, I've owned Leopolds, and they're great.  But this is the best bang for the buck.  I have one now on my new Bushmaster AR-15 M4 carbine. They are extremely light weight.  I think mine runs 13 oz even with a 40 mm tube.

- Beldar
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 11:25:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Nikon is FAR & away the best scope for under $400-500. Clarity sets them apart, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I would suggest the Nikon Monarchs. 3-9x40. Can be had for 250 or so if u hunt around. They have a lifetime warranty and are extremeley clear.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I myself am partial to Burris scopes. Check SWFA for a 3-9x40 or 3-9x50 in matte finish.
Around $200. Excellent fit/finish, great clarity, great warranty.

And the Sightrons look great - quite a good value. They tout top optical clarity (transmissiveness) and no-drift adjustments (zero doesn't change over magnification adjustment range, etc.)

I am also partial to ATN scopes. They are heavier though since they have a steel tube. But GREAT lenses, and I like illuminated reticle.

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top