Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2002 10:37:21 AM EDT
Well, my first AR is on order and should be here in a week or so. It's a 20" Bushy A3 HBAR. My question is, what should I have ready to go for my first trip to the range, and are there any "hints" on how to break it in properly.

I have other semi-auto rifles (AK, Mini-14, SKS, etc.) but I have limited experiance with AR's. any input would be great!!

I post a report after I get it.

Tony
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are talking about barrel break in I migh be able to help.  For general rifle break in you just shoot it.  Make sure it is properly lubed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#2]
any barrel break-in info would be great. I want to get an idea on what to get ahed-of-time, for when it gets here

Tony
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#3]
shoot it I shot 350 rounds when I first shot mine
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I would just clean it well with clp when you get it just to be sure and then go and shoot it.  With a chrome lined barrel, there really isn't any breakin.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#5]
cool. thanks for the input. Anything else I should know?
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Have fun!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought break-in involved 10-20 rounds. slow fire, so barrel doesn't heat up. Clean between each shot.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I thought break-in involved 10-20 rounds. slow fire, so barrel doesn't heat up. Clean between each shot.

Chrome lined barrels don't need it.  Take em out and shoot em.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#9]
If not chrome lined---

here is a link--

http://www.jarheadtop.com/article_breakin.shtml
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is Bushmaster's break-in procedure for the Varminter rifle.

This is from their Tech sheet:
MAINTENANCE INSTRUCTIONS
For the BUSHMASTER VARMINTER RIFLE
1. New Barrel Break-in Procedures...
A new barrel will shoot best if careful attention is given to proper break-in. Differing opinions exist as to what constitutes proper break-in, however, we recommend that no more than 20 rounds be fired at one time before cleaning the barrel - for the first 60 rounds. Each time the barrel is cleaned for the first 120 rounds, it must be thoroughly cleaned, removing all traces of copper and fouling.

Recommended procedure for thorough cleaning: In all cases it is vital that cleaning tools (brushes, patches, etc.) be pushed from the breech toward the muzzle and then removed from the rod at the muzzle end. DO NOT drag anything back through the muzzle.

A. Clean the bore with a good bore cleaner such as Shooter's Choice.
B. De-copper the bore with Shooter's Choice Copper Remover or equivalent.
C. Clean the bore again with JB Bore Cleaner paste as follows:
1. Work the JB paste into a new patch.
2. Wrap the patch around a worn brush.
3. Push it through the bore for ten strokes. Replace the patch every 5 strokes.

2. CLEANING AND LUBRICATION....

A. After the barrel is broken in, clean the bore immediately after each shooting session.
B. De-copper the barrel every 300-400 rounds.
C. Clean the bore every 1000 rounds with JB Bore Cleaner.
D. Field strip and clean the bolt carrier Assembly after every firing. Use a patch soaked in bore cleaner to clean the insides of the bolt carrier. Use pipe cleaners soaked with bore cleaner to clean the bolt carrier Key and firing pin recess in the bolt. Dry all parts and lubricate bolt locking lugs, gas rings, and bolt stem with Breakfree or equivalent. Assemble bolt into carrier, lubricate cam pin and firing pin with Breakfree and reassemble. Clean out the inside of the upper receiver with paper towel or patch; lubricate charging handle, support rails of bolt carrier and inside of bolt carrier key. In the lower receiver, occasionally lubricated the trigger and hammer pins with Breakfree. The sear engagement notch of the hammer should be lubricated with Moly-Slide molybdenum disulphide paste lubricant every six months (more often if rifle is used frequently). Reassemble, and function check the rifle.

GIB

Link Posted: 5/24/2002 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yes, Learn how to do the BUMP!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

1) buy some USGI mags, the 10 rounder it comes with really suck.

2) All bushy barrels are chrome lined EXCEPT the DCM models and the Varminter. (unless you specifically order a non chrome lined barrel)  You don't need to break in a chromelined barrel, just clean and oil the rifle as per instructed in the manual and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:24:23 AM EDT
[#13]
My Armalite was a pain in the ass for the first few hundred rounds with FTF mainly. Pulled the pin from the bolt and sat on the rec room floor watching tv and hand cycled it a few hundred times more. Clean up found lots of black stuff that was certainly not powder, but park/phosphate breaking in. It runs just fine now, with a much, much faster and smoother bolt motion. While some sing right out of the box, find a good one at your range, get a feel for it's cycle motion, and that is how far yours needs to break in. I found hand cycles much less annoying than tight malfs at the range.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top