Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2002 4:38:23 AM EDT
Afyer reading MEDCOP's post, I started thinking...I have a Chinese SKS I bought back in 1990 that every now and then will double tap. It always surprises me when it happens.

Anybody else have this problem with theirs?
The only mods I have done to it were replace the wood stock with a pre-ban folding stock, and mount a scope on a rear bolt spring cover that came with the scope. This problem has been happening long before the scope was put on.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 4:45:38 AM EDT
[#1]
leak in gas system?

i dont have an sks but once i left the gas cylinder plug omnn my m1 loose and it doubled. the pressure was not enough to lock the hammer back consistently. check for leaks or dragging piston.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 5:25:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Stoney-Point,

Try the AK47 website: (http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=77).

There is a section for SKS's. I'm sure someone there can help. I've read of this before. It may have something to do with a "stuck" (not free floating) firing pin (dirty gun), or, the firing pin may be in backwards. Also, soft primer ammo can cause this, use only military surplus (has harder primers).
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#3]
FWIW the correct term is "doubling".

A double-tap is a two deliberate shots fired quickly by the shooter. Usually associated with defensive pistol shooting.

Doubling is when a gun malfunctions by firing more than one shot with a single pull of the trigger.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Snake touched on a couple things that couse doubling in an SKS:

Dirt or preservative compound in the firing pin bore in the bolt. (It should be clean and free of any cosmo, oil, etc.)

The firing pin is installed incorrectly. (Possible, but not likely to cause doubling, but usually causes FA-empty of the entire mag.  There are four or five different designs of SKS firing pin, and one specific type found in Chinese SKSs can be installed backwards, which when so installed will have the FP tip ALWAYS protruding through the boltface.  Can you say "Full Auto?"

A worn disconnector or sear face in the trigger group. (I have only seen this on one SKS owned by a friend's acquaintance; he took the recommendation to install a new trigger group for $35)

"Floating" the trigger finger. (In some cases, individuals will not follow-through with pulling the trigger all the way to the rear stop.  If you just pull it enough, the weapon will fire and the recoil will tap the trigger against your "floating" finger.  The result is a second or even third shot.  When done intentionally while holding a semi-auto but the front handguard with the weapon at the hip and a holding the trigger finger stiff, it is called "bumping" or "bump firing".  Lots of semi-auto owners like to rip off a mag in this pseudo-full auto manner.  

If your firing pin and pin bore in the bolt are clean and free of any preserv or lubricant (don't oil the FP, it will attract dirt), it is most likely a trigger finger float or a worn disconnector.  Clean the FP and its bore first by tapping the rectangular-headed retainer pin out and removing the FP from the rear of the bolt.  Mind the orientation of the flats and grooves on the FP as you remove it so that is can be reinstalled.  If you drop it, look for the burnish marks on one of the pin flats that were made by contact with the FP retaining pin.

HTH

Noah
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#5]
You guys are great. Thanks for all the input you have given. Not just this thread, but others as well.

This site ROCKS!!!!

A few more weeks and I'll have my Bushmaster and tearing up the range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top