Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2002 7:01:46 AM EDT
I got to shoot my new 16" dpms upper yesterday.  I fired a total of 80 rounds of S.A. ammo with zero malfunctions and it shot fairly accuratly too.  When I took the carrier apart last night however the split pin for the firing pin was bent in the middle.  I took some pliers and bent it back (was really easy to bend).  Do these pins bend in short uppers due to higher bolt carrier velocity or does it sound like I got a super soft pin?  My 20" uppers never do this..

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 7:31:39 AM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like a soft firing pin retaining pin to me. They should have some temper to them and not bend easily. I have a 16" RRA that does not bend the pin.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 7:37:42 AM EDT
[#2]
There are 2 firing pin diameters when measured at the collar. The M16 FP collar measures 0.375 inches and the AR15 FP collar measures 0.325 inches. You may have the larger M16 firing pin in your upper. If so this could cause the retaining pin to be bent. JarheadGunner.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:44:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I can just about bend the pin with my bare hands. I suspect its not tempered.  I am going to get a couple spares at the next fun show.  Heck I need to get one of those "oh shit" kits with spare pins,extractor,springs etc.

thanks guys!
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#4]
i too will go along wyth the soft pin crowd, if you ever tried to bend one, it is IMPOSSIBLE wyth bare hands !!!!!!!

was that upper absolutely positively NEW ???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top