Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2002 6:08:52 PM EDT
I went to a gun show yesterday with a friend and we were hunting for a preban AR and ran across a Galil in .308. I hesitated to stop for the fact that said Galil was on the table of this class three dealer. You know the kind; table full of MP5s and Bushmaster post ban M-4gerys that are all post 86 dealer samples and do not touch signs everywhere. Also lots of attitude from the help behind the table who know just enough to be dangerous. Anyway curiosity got the better of me and I asked to see the Galil and instantly recognized it as a parts gun built up from one of the Mosseberg imported barreled actions. These got sold by NHM in California. It was missing the rear sight which class three dealer said was “on the way” and it had no flash suppressor.   I asked how much? He replied $3000.00. At this point I tried to fold the stock and to my shock it did. I then asked who imported this and did he know that this was a post ban gun? He then took it away from me and snarled “no it ain’t, it’s preban $3000.00 take it or leave it.” I then explained why I believed it to be post ban and suggested that he “run the serial numbers and make sure.” He then replied “I ain’t doin that I told you it’s preban.” I said have a nice day and went about my business absolutely astounded at what had just occurred. Why do people do crap like this?

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
hmmm, this weekend i came acrost a guy selling these really neat preban ar mags for 20.00, the guy said they were what the israelis went to in the early 90s after the orlites.
they had this cool aluminum floorplate held in place with hex screws and galil follower, and seemed to be USGI, tried them out and they function flawlessly.
did a little research today and discovered that these mags (unmarked, thank god) were introduced to the israeli armed forces in 2000.
no wonder i never saw them before.
asshole.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#2]
There should be a law that allows people to drive a tri-axle dump truck through the store of dishonest business people.  Go to court, prove said asshole is a liar, and they give you the keys to a Peterbuilt.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Why do they do it?  For money of course!  If that dealer actually gets 3 grand for that Galil, he'll have made more than $2000 on the deal.  Actually, even if it was a legit preban the price was way high by at least $500.

The only real answer to the price gougers and preban fakers is to repeal the whole damn restriction laws on military style semiautos, and get back to what we had in 1990.  Yeah, I know----fat chance of that happening!
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#4]
sounds like the gun shop i was in in tucson a couple months back. they had a post ban m1a with a "fixed" folding stock. i asked to c the m1. first thing i did was try to fold to the stock damn thing FOLDED! scared the shit out of the guy behind the counter.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#5]
The other day I saw a Thompson contender "PISTOL" with a buttstock attached! SBR! NFA vialations a easy to prove. The dumbars had it in the glass case loke it was nothing.

R35
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I dont understand why these class 3 guys even have tables at gunshows, they are not going to sell anything and they are all assholes, they wont answer questions, or let you look at the guns, they just sit there and try to look cool.  Ive seen several post ban AR's at gunshows with CAR stocks, makes you wonder, do are these guys just ignorant, or are they trying to rip people off, I have yet to find a good deal at a gunshow.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:39:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I went to a gun show in Kingston NY last month and saw a "preban" Bushmaster with the serial number 94XXX.  It was not worth arguing the point with the dealer that it was not a preban.
Some of these guys are ripoffs.  I have never seen a good deal at a gun show.  Even the ammo is overpriced.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:03:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I would think the dealers that know better would not try and float fake pre-ban stuff at the gun show.  If I were an ATF agent, that would be one of the first places I would go to bust people - every dealer in one place.  It would be like "shooting fish in a barrel."  Of course maybe the ATF is more interested in persecuting the little guy.  Dealers that sell post-ban with pre-ban features to unsuspecting people give the ATF a steady supply of hapless victims.

Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Aren't there supposedly quite a few "pre-ban" Galil receivers floating around out there.  I know what the AW gestapo is going to say next.  If it ain't part of a gun it ain't pre-ban, etc.  My point here is the guy might actually have a pre-ban receiver and therefore have or think he has a pre-ban Galil.  Price does seem high though.  I've seen several dealers who price their stuff pretty high, but will come down a ton to a halfway reasonable price in order to let you think you got a great deal.  Hell, car dealers do the same thing except they usually don't come down much.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The other day I saw a Thompson contender "PISTOL" with a buttstock attached! SBR! NFA vialations a easy to prove. The dumbars had it in the glass case loke it was nothing.

R35

While I don't have anything to back it up, I think that the T/C Contenders are exempt from the sbr/NFA rules.

I could be way off base, but I have seen the same thing at shows.

Edited to add that after doing a little research I found that I am way, way off base. It's definitely a SBR.

The exemption is that T/C was allowed to sell a receiver that came with a short barrel with a pistol grip and a long barrel with a shoulder stock. One receiver can be built into a pistol and/or a rifle. If assembled with the short barrel and shoulder stock = SBR, and ya' need to pay the Feds their $200.00.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I saw an AR15 on sale for $1000.  The guy said it was preban.  All the evil features.  I wrote down the serial number and checked it when I got home.  POST BAN! It was gone the next day. Dont know if it was sold or they realized it was stupid.  They got busted soon after for manufacturing assault weapons.  The gus from Michigan will be familiar with these guys in Royal Oak.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top