Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2002 3:07:43 PM EDT

I just picked up an SP1 carbine in original configuration.  Has the correct rubber like coating on the stock and the three little swabs of paint on the lock ring.  In fact the lock ring is staked on and the dobs of paint are over them.  Pencil barrel, no assist or deflector, but has colt m16 carrier.  Is that correct?  In good condition or better Has a serial # of SP160XXX what is the date of manufacture on this thing.  I called Colt, but they were already closed.  Also, was $1209 too much to pay?  It is pretty darn good condition.  

Thanks,

Kentlik
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Heck!  I think that is a great deal Kentlik.  Sounds original to me as well from your description.  Great rifle good score dude. I have been wanting one for years myself, oh Iam myself silly me...
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:53:18 PM EDT
[#2]
No Compromise with COLT!

Good Job, Sailor.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
....but has colt m16 carrier....

Isn't this a problem with the BATF?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

but has colt m16 carrier.

Kentlik

get rid of that NOWNOWNOW!!!! and NEVER TELL A SOUL!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
No Compromise with COLT!

Good Job, Sailor.

Thank you Capt.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

but has colt m16 carrier.

Kentlik

get rid of that NOWNOWNOW!!!! and NEVER TELL A SOUL!!

The rifle is dated like in the 70's, could that be right to have that type of carrier?  I know the letterman didn't have a problem with that until sometime in the 80's.  It, (the rifle), is still at the shop won't release until, 5/7/02

Kentlik
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you sure it's an M16 carrier?  The AR15 bolt carriers back in the 70's were not like the omes they use now.  Back then, they were basically M16 carriers withe the underside milled back about 3/4 inch and the under the firing pin area of the carrier milled out enough so the rear of the firing pin shows when you look at the assembly upside down.  Basically, they were M16 carriers with enough metal cut out to not work in an M16 on full auto.  If that's what's in your weapon, you're OK.  It's original.  It may even have the bolt assist cuts in the side, even tho the SP1 didn't have a bolt assist assembly.  Basically, if you can turn the unit over, and see the rear 1/2 inch of the firing pin, you've got an original carrier.  If the entire firing pin asssembly is covered by the carrier, and you can't see any of it, it's an M16 carrier and you need to get it out of there.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Are you sure it's an M16 carrier?  The AR15 bolt carriers back in the 70's were not like the omes they use now.  Back then, they were basically M16 carriers withe the underside milled back about 3/4 inch and the under the firing pin area of the carrier milled out enough so the rear of the firing pin shows when you look at the assembly upside down.  Basically, they were M16 carriers with enough metal cut out to not work in an M16 on full auto.  If that's what's in your weapon, you're OK.  It's original.  It may even have the bolt assist cuts in the side, even tho the SP1 didn't have a bolt assist assembly.  Basically, if you can turn the unit over, and see the rear 1/2 inch of the firing pin, you've got an original carrier.  If the entire firing pin asssembly is covered by the carrier, and you can't see any of it, it's an M16 carrier and you need to get it out of there.

You're correct.  It is different than the M16 carrier, it is as you described.  It also has kind of a slot down the center as well.  Neat I learned yet another fact from AR-15.COM.

Kent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top