Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2002 4:14:38 PM EDT
for the first time.  it's still at the store and i only owe $108 out of $699.  i could have paid it off but i spent too much at gander mtn on fishing gear (new rod,etc).  so next week it'll be mine.  i didn't notice any problems except the stock is a little bit closer to the left side of the barrel, the barrel IS NOT bent though.  i flexed the stock and it moved away from the barrel.  i'm satisfied.  i was told it was a DM model and it wasn't, doesn't really bother me cuz it'll be a range queen anyway.  someday i'll have enough $ to get badger ornance mount and rings, then i'll get a scope.

Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Boy, do YOU have your priorities straight!
Fishing gear over the PSS?  What the...?

Just kidding you.
Be glad it isn't the DM model.  They've been discontinued as far as I know because of 'problems', so, your BDL will be fine.

Don't wait to get the $2000 optics set up!
Get something on it and shoot it NOW!
Have fun.  I sure like mine.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#2]
They are allot of fun!!!!  Enjoy!  
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#3]
The Remington DM’s have a pretty bad reputation anyway (based on what I’ve heard – not first hand experience).  I understand Remington has stopped making them.

Nice rifle - but for whatever reason the stocks don’t always seem to match up to the metal too well.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I really wish you hadn't mentioned going to Gander Mtn..........it broke my heart when they went out of the mail-order business.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Sweet
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I too held my 700PSS today, then I put it safely back into MY safe
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Ditto what 7IDL said, but after I installed a new Jewell trigger on mine.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I pestered the hell outta this Forum for advice on the 700PSS.
Got great advice and did a bunch of hand wringing and gnashing of teeth trying to decide what to do...
I put on my Leupold Tactical scope (it's ONLY the 1" tube variety with Mil-Dot reticle) in    Redfield  2-pc. base and low rings!!! (too low, really, but it worked until I used a set of high rings from another rifle).

The point is that I was told to get about $300 worth of BASE & RINGS and $1500 worth of scope for my $700 rifle...!!!
I USED MY HEAD 1st and put on what I had around the house, you know?  So, I got to shoot the gun instead of dying before I could afford OPTICS!

Every one of the guys that helped me gave great advice.  They were right about the best equipment.  It's great to have.  But, damn.  
I'm shooting it and it's accurate.

Go get a doggone TASCO and some kind of base/ring setup and get to shooting it first.
It'll give you incentive to study which parts you want to put on later.
Good luck.

I'm gonna go stroke "SUZY"...

(try some Federal Gold Medal Match 168-gr. ammo in that baby and see what happens...with mine, it's like the rifle and ammo were made for each other)
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I luv my 700PSS it will shoot half MOA all day with Black Hill match 168. Great gun I bought mine with a Veri X-III 3.5-10 and it is plenty of scope. enjoy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:56:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got the 700P-DM (in 308) and have not had any problems with the mag setup whatsoever.  Of course that's not to say all rifles are built to the exact same tolerances, etc... - so some other ones could have experienced the "problems" that some guys seem to think this particular model is plagued with.  Either way, happy shootin with yer new stick (when you eventually get it paid off)!

hsld.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 12:27:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've got the 700P-DM (in 308) and have not had any problems with the mag setup whatsoever

I have both and both work fine.  I wonder how much of the complaining is from one or two people (probably same gun).  You know how the grape vine goes then...

I agree with the TASCO scope.  $150-250.  When the ship comes in get your $1500 scope.

Get the Leupold quick release 2 piece high rings.  They work great!  Even the high rings are not really high enough.  I played around the setup to fine tune and now can move the scope from either 700 and zeroed in without messing around.

mark
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#13]
My new Remington 700 PSS in .308 arrived on Tuesday, Badger Ordnance rings and base arrived Thursday, Springfield Armory 4-14X56AO Generation 2 scope arrived yesterday (Friday), and today (Saturday) I bought a Harris bipod ('S'-series, LM model 9"-13") and black sling with quick-release swivels. Now all I need is a Pod-Loc and match ammo.

Link Posted: 5/4/2002 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I just picked up my new 700 LTR today, and just like some of you it will take me about a month to put on that vari x III 4.5 to 14. I can't wait to shoot, it is an awesome peice. I kicked it around between the LTR and PSS and decided on the LTR because of the 1.5 pound differance, the accuracy hopefully should be equal.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:54:50 PM EDT
[#15]
m4madness, that looks awesome!  how much did you pay for the mount and rings?  too high, too low?  any problems?  i'm looking at badger for my setup so any opinions you have-let me hear em!  as a sidenote the box says "700 Police", not PSS, i know there was a post on here a few weeks ago about what it meant or whatever.  i get the rifle this wednesday.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 8:32:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
m4madness, that looks awesome!  how much did you pay for the mount and rings?  too high, too low?  any problems?  i'm looking at badger for my setup so any opinions you have-let me hear em!  as a sidenote the box says "700 Police", not PSS, i know there was a post on here a few weeks ago about what it meant or whatever.  i get the rifle this wednesday.

The base and rings were $254 shipped from Premier Reticles. SWFA was sold out of them and Premier Reticles has very few. As for ring height, I could have went a size lower (I have the "high" rings), but the size I wanted was out-of-stock. SWFA said something about selling out after 9/11 and that they didn't know when, if ever, they could restock them. Yeah, my box says "700 Police" as well. They dropped the "PSS" moniker down to just "P". Some say that the "P" stands for "parkerized" now, but my box doesn't say that. Hope you enjoy your new rifle, I know I will mine.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Is it possible to convert a PSS DM to fixed mag by changing the stock?
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Is it possible to convert a PSS DM to fixed mag by changing the stock?

Imbroglio, sorry I cannot help you, but here are links to similar discussions:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=46286

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=63346

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=110509

Link Posted: 5/5/2002 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Remington 700 Police Sniper Special
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Well mine isn't a true PSS but a Rem 700 VS-LH which Remington markets on it's LE website for southpaws like me. It is essentially the same barrel and all but a little bit different stock. Anyway, it is a great rifle. I have a Springfield Armory 4-14x56mm AO 3rd Gen Sight on Leupold QRD rings and bases. Consistent 1/2-3/4 MOA shooter with Fed Gol Match and Black Hills. I think I'm going to get another one and have the barrel chopped to 20" and threaded and Bi-locked by Gemtech (www.gem-tech.com) for a TPR-S Suppressor.

Fungunnin had this done and the thing shoots like a dream and it looks pretty bad ass to boot!

Reach out and touch someone...

Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:18:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I really wish you hadn't mentioned going to Gander Mtn..........it broke my heart when they went out of the mail-order business.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! I just noticed your sig line.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I own 700 Police DM .308.  I never had a reliability issue with mine.  Its a sweet rifle.  I have Leupold VariX III tactical scope on it.  Only problem I encountered was when I used Israeli military surplus .308 I bought from Cheaper than Dirt.  Talk about nasty failure to extract.  Bolt wouldn't release (open).  I had to use rubber mullet to open the bolt.  I adjusted the trigger so its smooth and light.  I also mounted Accuracy Intl AICS II and it gets lots of attention at the range.  I even bought a Dillon reloading machine because I was shooting like crazy after I purchased this rifle.  If you are shooting match grade ammo, it'll put a huge dent in your pocket.  Mine doesn't seem to like the Black Hill match ammo, although it still shoots 3/4 MOA or so at 100 yards.  I get better grouping with Federal match, easily doing 1/2 MOA at 100 yards.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top